Sign in to follow this  
crazy8s846

A question for you guys and girls

Ok so me and the wife are going to go home and see family and friends. me and the wife have not drank a lot of absinthe, strong68 and mansinthe are all we have had. The couple we are going to see are very close friends, they have never heard of absinthe, much less drank any. We will not see them agian for about two years, so i thought id share two bottles with them.

The question is what would all of you buy.

I'd suggest checking out the review section on the main site and looking for high rated absinthes with more then two or three reviews.

I'd buy (in no particular order) Belle Amie, Jade Eddy, Jade 1901, Jade VS, Ridge Verte, Leopold's, Sirene, Walton Waters, or Meadow of Love.

After reading how you were looking for an absinthe that packs a punch, I'd also suggest considering Doubs Mystique. It's a good absinthe with a strong wormwood profile.

Edited by Phoenix

I'd suggest checking out the review section on the main site and looking for high rated absinthes with more then two or three reviews.

I'd buy (in no particular order) Belle Amie, Jade Eddy, Jade 1901, Jade VS, Ridge Verte, Leopold's, Sirene, Walton Waters, or Meadow of Love.

After reading how you were looking for an absinthe that packs a punch, I'd also suggest considering Doubs Mystique. It's a good absinthe with a strong wormwood profile.

Im not sure if strong is all i want, i would like to experence many differant types, but would like 2 very speical bottle to share with the friends.

A lot of folks I've introduced absinthe to love the lack of alcohol "flavor", even if they don't really like the flavor profile of most absinthes. My sister-in-law took a sip of some Ridge not too long ago and said, "I love how that's so refreshing, and a 'no officer, there isn't any alcohol in that'."

It's been a long time since I've had any Duplais Verte, but I remember digging the flavor on it, and Ridge has excellent wormwood flavor, but that comes from the fact that the folks at that particular distillery recite/mumble Shakespeare under their breath to the little wormwood plants that they grow.

And when they want a particularly bitter batch they throw in a little Casa de Bernarda Alba. :twitchsmile:

Slight derailment done...

Have you tried any of the wonderful selection of absinthe cocktails out there? Most of my favorites are quite simple, some with some alcohol flavor and others with less. I'm a pretty terrible cocktail mixer though. I'm barely pickled on the best of days. :paperbag3:

I'd second checking the reviews.

But just off hand I'd make sure that you look into the brand and make sure that it actually is absinthe and isn't just marketed as such. U.S. laws don't define absinthe so a lot of drinks marketed as such aren't.

For sharing I've found that Leopold Bros. and Obsello are good starters for people who are just trying absinthe.

When I find out if a person likes absinthe, then I may give them a drink or two of something more expensive or stranger.

I think Obsello is very accessible for those new to absinthe, not too strong, with some warm vanilla tones. Serve it with sugar for their first time and dilute it pretty well.

We've had good results sharing Kübler with people, but we're not really buying it much anymore. I highly recommend Obsello, it's good and the price is right.

If you want something different than a bitter, you might like my favorite hooch, Pacifique. I find it refreshing after a day if butting heads in the oilpatch.

I always have a bottle of Pernod Fils absinthe on my cupboard for curious guests...although they are always asking to set the sugar cube on fire, I dissapoint them by saying it's not done at my place, only the real french method:)

Im thinking ill get both the la coquette and the 1901 , if they dont like them, oh well more for me. One of the friends likes jagermeister so i think she will like the absinthe, dont know if her husband will. If he doesnt, ill take one of the bottles back home, probably the 1901, to enjoy myself. Maybe ill let the wife have one :laugh:

Edited by crazy8s846

Sounds like a good plan. Now let's work on your capitalizations. Please. :wave2:

Not trying to be a dick, it's just:

Excerpt from Forum Rules and Terms of Service

3. Spell-check, use the shift key (capitalize), refrain from chat-speak; don't quote the last post.

Please be thoughtful and make an effort to use proper punctuation, capitalization, spelling and grammar. Since this isn't a real-time, teen chat room, you have the time to check for errors as well as the ability to edit a post once it's made.

Using good writing habits is courteous and projects a more credible image of the writer. People who appear to be illiterate are seldom taken seriously.

...although they are always asking to set the sugar cube on fire, I dissapoint them by saying it's not done at my place, only the real french method:)

Good show ol' chap. :cheers:

Obsello is one I try to keep on hand. Pacifique is also nice, but I'd probably have to vote for Walton Waters at the moment...