Sign in to follow this  
Jetzster

Absinthe Mixing Experimentation Recipes

Some interesting combos. I have found a dash of grenadine goes nicely sometimes. I may try chambord one of these days as well, with a splash of soda. 

A Fuzzy French Whore, I may name it.  :)

Tried it with a White Fairy.

Wonderful.

There's a local variant of the Swamp Water that I rather like, which is basically Green Chartreuse, pineapple, and lime; which is very good when made with Absinthe instead. I don't really have a name for it.

8 oz pineapple juice

1.5 oz. Absinthe (must be verte, blanche doesn't give quite the right effect)

Splash of Rose's lime juice

In the original, straight lime juice is used; but without the heavy sugar of Green Chartreuse, it is just a bit too tart for me and seems to work better with Rose's. Works great either as a tall cooler, or in a blender. Definitely a summer drink.

There's a local variant of the Swamp Water that I rather like...

We used to make "Swamp Gas":

A couple two-liters of Mountain Dew.

A bottle of everclear.

A chunk of dry ice.

3 or 4 long-lasting green "cyalume" type light sticks.

1 punch bowl.

Combine ingredients in bowl; get crunk.

In my late teens/early 20's, I used to mix Wild Turkey with Mountain Dew and called it "Wild Piss".

It was Wild Piss that taught me the lesson that a Big-Gulp container was a poor solution for transporting a large amount of alcohol concealed for my underage consumption whilst trolling the local mall. We were halfway down the main corridor when the bottom completely fell out of the nearly full 44oz cup. :shock:

Yeah, but it was new... the alcohol apparently reacted with the glue that held in the disk that formed the bottom of the cup.

Had a hangover-brunch at my place this last weekend after a bunch of us went to see our stage-set come through town on tour friday night.

Harsh saturday morning sunlight on my back deck and FG 4:1 with that really good sparkiling french lemonade that comes in the pressure-seal bottles. I was calling them absinthe mimosas, because the carbonation kinda made them feel that way. Anyway, they were really good and even people that don't like absinthe liked them.

I remember Pernod used to always push mixing with carbonated "limonata" or something.

I'm partial to DITA. I use Taylor Dry for the champaigne (Cheap and sleezy), and a vert for the Absinthe. Blanche does not seem as nice.

One of my favorites is not actually a drink. Take a large jar of Marachino cherries and pour off the syrup. Rinse with water, drain and dump in a mason jar. Cover with 95% alcohol and let set for a month, or more.

We call them Cherry Bombs, and they are always a big hit at our bike get-togetheres. Women in particular like them.

Another drink that was popular in the late 70s when I was in college was Purple Jesus.

1 gallon Everclear (or two gallons moonshine)

6 each peaches, pears, apples, limes, lemons, oranges

4 cans frozen grape concentrate

ice to chill

Let it set in a cooler for a half day, preferably a full day before serving.

Then it wasn't an absinthe flip.

It is, and has been (since colonial times, at least) the egg that makes any flip, well...a flip.

Had a bit of FG left over and thought "hey, this would go great with the ED" and yes, yes it did. I have said that the new batch of ED is strong on the nose and the FG really mellowed it out. Try it if you can, it's worth it. Now what to mix with the last bit of the Eich?? :shifty:

Remarkably enough, my very first absinthe experience was a DITA .... it was Absinthe Verte de Fougerolles with champagne (don't know what kind) and it was pretty tasty.

So, revisiting the topic, I had some Dom de Bertial Prosecco Brut on hand yesterday. First I tried it with Pernod 68, and it was pretty harsh. Followed it up with Franco-Suisse, and that was a lot smoother, and once again tasty.

So I'm thinking that the better the absinthe, the more pleasant the DITA (and you all are thinking ... duh!!!)

In any event, the experimentation left me with a delightful buzz .........

Today I thought I'd try mixing gin and absinthe, as mentioned way above. I put together 2 oz of Hendrick's gin with 1/2 oz of the Franco-Suisse. Came up with some very tasty rocket fuel! Added a couple of twists of orange peel and life is good.