TheLoucheyMonster!

Stranger & Stranger Christmas Absinthe

I've only seen images of this on the graphic design end of things, not on the absintheur side of things. When I did a little research into it, it looked like it was an extraordinarily small run that was given away as gifts. There wasn't much info regarding it, and as such, didn't need to go to much consideration regarding acceptable bottle design, etc. I read a review somewhere that seemed favorable (and not at all about thujonez or ballz.)

Edited by Ambear

Ambear is correct. This is a London-based design agency. Each Christmas they develop a new pack and get very small quantities filled to send to a few potential clients (liquor companies) saying "Look what we can do, now can we design your new Scotch label?" They also get a lot of media coverage (which even spreads here a few months later).

As far as I know, they have as much intention of launching this as absinthe distillers do of setting up pack design offices.

Haha...with that said, the copy at the top of the page is "Our Christmas Absinthe has been so well received we have decided on a short production run. If you are interested in purchasing a limited edition bottle of Stranger Absinthe leave your mail address here and we'll contact you when it's ready."

I still think it's going to be a very small quantity and more of an under the table sort of thing. I would love to have a bottle of it on a shelf though, empty or otherwise. It's a beautiful design.

Haha...with that said, the copy at the top of the page is "Our Christmas Absinthe has been so well received we have decided on a short production run. If you are interested in purchasing a limited edition bottle of Stranger Absinthe leave your mail address here and we'll contact you when it's ready."

As far as I recall, that is exactly the same message that was there 5/6 months ago. This may turn out to be as illusory as the USB Absinthe spoon (original website now gone). That turned out to be an elaborate spoof designed to test how quickly and broadly a rumour could spread on the internet.

Edit to add Waybackwhen machine version, showing widescale interest.

Edited by Alan Moss

As far as I recall, that is exactly the same message that was there 5/6 months ago.

Maybe so...although the wording makes it seem like there's a possibility to obtaining some, but when I researched it before, I remember having to dig to find information about who was selling it and how to go about finding some. I don't quite remember when I saw the site last though, I don't think I bookmarked it at the time.

Damn, that's a gorgeous package. I'd hire them in a hot second if I thought it wouldn't cost me a million dollars.

As far as I know, they have as much intention of launching this as absinthe distillers do of setting up pack design offices.

Hmmmm ...

Maybe in my spare time?

Damn, that's a gorgeous package.

That's what she said.*

*I know when I'm being humored. :twitchsmile:

I'd hire them in a hot second if I thought it wouldn't cost me a million dollars.

I could make you something nice for about half that price. :devil:

Damn, that's a gorgeous package.

That's what she said.*

*I know when I'm being humored. :twitchsmile:

:laf: ( I know it was a softball, but that's still damn funny!)

All I know is that I want one! What an exquisite package design! :thumbup:

Do any of you seasoned (and herbed) veterans have enough pull to talk the fine folks at Stranger and Stranger into doing a larger run on this absinthe so that we newcomers can get in on it?

Do any of you seasoned (and herbed) veterans have enough pull to talk the fine folks at Stranger and Stranger into doing a larger run on this absinthe so that we newcomers can get in on it?

I've hinted quite a bit already in this thread that I don't think it will ever happen.

Let's expand on this. I met them a few months ago to see if I could help them get this on the market. My view after the meeting and various emails is that this was 100% a packaging PR exercise and that any product they may have been considering would have made Tourment Vert taste good.

Every month or so, some design agency or student comes up with some very nice absinthe packaging that in many cases is impossibly expensive. I'd agree that this was one of the more outstanding pack designs (although the real thing didn't look nearly as good as the beautifully lit bottles online). Once again ... I don't think it will ever happen.

I've hinted quite a bit already in this thread that I don't think it will ever happen.

Let's expand on this. I met them a few months ago to see if I could help them get this on the market. My view after the meeting and various emails is that this was 100% a packaging PR exercise and that any product they may have been considering would have made Tourment Vert taste good.

Thanks for the info, Alan. And thank you for your efforts.

If they ever do go into production, they certainly need to find a high quality absinthe that lives up to the fine packaging.

It was Mossquito Absinthe. Absinthe with bite. I remember it well. I joked about this on April 1 to two of my distributors who both congratulated me on the move and are still waiting for it. I don't have the heart to tell them it was a joke.

Mind you, the previous April 1 Clement and I both blogged about the re-launch of Pernod Fils, and that may turn out to have been quite prescient.

And an April 1st before that, you managed to get a bunch of us to swap avatars, much to Shai's bewilderment. Alan is a fine prankster and I'll wager an excellent raconteur, too. ;)

We can only hope. But all the same, in this day of good artisan absinthe being made in WA, MT, CO, NY, PA, Samur, Cluse-et-Mijoux, Czech, the CH, etc. if they don't do it right, I will not loose any sleep about it.

I received a reply to my query regarding the Christmas absinthe on Stranger and Stranger's facebook page stating that they are commercializing it and will keep me posted.

Here's hoping they put some good absinthe in that beautiful bottle!

Better to obtain some good absinthe, choose a pretty bottle, put the absinthe in it and design and create a label and stick it on there. Lots of people have done it, and a lot of their work is more satisfying than any commercial label out there. I could cite the work of one Wild Bill Turkey as a fine example (of the label creation part, anyway).

Edited by Artemis