Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

La Fee gets flamed

I'm interested to see what these inaccuracies are as well...in the post I noticed there were what I assumed to be facts (like who won what awards, and under what categories) and the taster's opinion of how things tasted in their mouth. I wonder which of these they're considering to be inaccurate...

Hi there. I can tell you that the points about the Absinthe Masters awards is true, because I was there on the judging panel. The XS products both did very well in the blind tasting but while the Parisienne product won a silver medal for its packaging (judged by a separate design judge) it scored no medals in the blind tasting. In fact it scored the lowest marks of all the absinthes on offer, although it was up against some stiff competition from more artisanal products.

I'm under the impression that pretty much all of what you said was true, Clayton. Nothing seemed wildly outrageous or reactionary...a very level-headed, honest write-up. I also respect your level of integrity in putting the article on hold until things get cleared up, assuming the inaccuracies have basis in fact and not because you aren't a La Fee cheerleader. Tip of the hat to you, sir. :euro:

And thank you, Joe. I do wish you were part of our real-time conversations regarding the matter. Let's just say we're only posting the kind 25%...the other 75% is riddled with swearing and more of our self-rightous, newbie, Americanist, millennial rage. :devil:

I remember when I still got pissed about this shit.

I dunno though, aren't we winning now? Coulda swore we were winning.

I dunno though, aren't we winning now? Coulda swore we were winning.
Yes, we are winning.

Bi-winning, actually. We're winning both here and there.

Sweet.

Just so's you all know, my contributions to the fight have been invaluable. Who are we talking about again?

Clayton is doing a good job helping the cause of real absinthe in the UK with his events, his blog, etc.
Hello, I'm Clayton Hartley, co-author of the blog on which the post in question originally appeared.

Howdy Clayton! You're most welcome here. I liked your original post. I also like your professionalism in handling George's request.

Like others have mentioned, I'm also curious to see what inaccuracies George contests in your piece. Things he's not happy with aren't the same as things which are incorrect. Make rubbish booze, get rubbish reviews. Instead of defending bad booze, step the game up and make good stuff.

Plenty of distillers even (especially?) in the "new market" of the U.S. seem to care for absinthe to the point of shooting down chances to get into the college club scene that would bring them even more money.

Anyone can say whatever and make themselves look good. Which is why I weigh heavy on the actions.

In my mind money is not the only currency exchanged. There's the economy of authenticity, knowledge, and integrity.

Quoted for posterity. Kudos. And I think you'd be surprised (or not) to know exactly how much nonsense some of the US producers turn down, not just absinthe related. It really does come down to how one feels about their trade-craft, and their place in the community.

The market will eventually speak for itself. As the market matures, those who like absinthe will avoid the crappy products, and vote with their $$ for the ones they like.

What you're seeing is essentially two markets, unfortunately. One market for quality absinthe, and one market for shitsinthe. If there was not a market for the bad stuff, it would have already fallen by the wayside. But there's a huge market for it. We will just continue to support the good stuff, and educate when possible, to such extents as we are able.

Ultimately I'm confused. Why would makers and defenders of real absinthe get into bed with a notorious fauxsinthe bohemian method marketed line?

At the time, there seemed to be a possibility that, with XS, La Fée would focus much more on higher quality absinthe, and less on fauxsinthe.

I've no doubt whatsoever that's what Claude-Alain thought, or was hoping for. But my gut tells me that La Fee have no intention to replace the bad with the good, and are instead aiming to capture two markets (like those mentioned above). They will absolutely keep making the rubbish stuff so long as there are suckers buying it. I'd like to see Claude-Alain cut the strings, and let La Fee survive on just their fakesinthe. As is, he may inadvertently be keeping them in the game. Sort of an own goal, if you will.

A good question. Which I prefer not to answer publicly at this stage. Claude-Alain has ongoing discussions with La Fee, and it would be premature to say anything more here. But personally I agree with the thought behind your question.

Alan, I appreciate your candidness. And I'm glad to see you posting again!

If you can't get the person who owns that site to stop selling crap absinth(e)s (at their worse), do you think other, much less historic absinthe-educated souls ever will, just because a few enthusiasts want them to?

Edited by pierreverte

Of course not. As long as frat boys and schmucks plop down their money, the snake oil trade will continue unabated. All we can do is point out the charlatans and make the journey for a few intelligent minds a lot easier.

A fool and his money are soon parted and the unscrupulous will happily rake it in but I prefer not to give them my money.

So if Ron is right and La Fee will continue selling their vile mix, does that mean Bugnon will continue to make a quality absinthe for them? Is there an ethical question for Claude-Alain to produce a real absinthe for the purveyors of dreck? If there is, does that ethical question become even more entangled by the Swiss IGP issue that has a Swiss distiller making a product to be labeled as French absinthe? And in doing so, have the Swiss producers been hoisted with their own petard?

I don't need TeeVee. I have all the entertainment I need: Mystery, drama and comedy in one fell swoop.

Greed!

JMHO of course.

Ahem, some ethics can be bought, which makes it rubbish to begin with. JMHO again.

Just 35 days to go. I just hope I can make it.

Isn't Rue Verte now owned by Oxy? I was told they were phasing this stuff out. Perhaps they need to get rid of their stock first...Otherwise, it makes no sense that someone who cares so much about good absinthe would allow this to be sold.

Let's hope so. I was honestly a bit wary about buying from them, what with their collection of awful. It hate seeing the two alongside each other, all while hearing about "the good stuff" and "high rated" and wondering who's getting horribly misled.

At least give RueVert props for accurately describing Czechsinte http://www.rueverte.com/absinthes.php?pays...c&desc=true

And they go through more pains than other vendors to neutraly and accurately describe the products, as an example:

Absinthe La Grenouille - 50 cl

This absinthe is based on a mediterranean recipe; it is certainly one of the best Czech absinthe.

Alcohol level : 65°

Process : Distillation

Anise taste : Yes

Yes, but RueVert does describe crapy ones accurately. I think europeans are being far less picky about the absinthe they drink, and selling czechsinthes must be a necessary evil to do business.

Not true...I'm sure that were he capable of selling more absinthes than just his own, at reasonable prices, it might be a valid option.

Whoa...sorry, sometimes I have the delusions that have nothing to do with the thujonez in my drink. :cheerz:

And I do shop quite a few places that sell products by producers with whom I have problems with their integrity. 90% of our liquor stores here sell at least 2 types of faux-sinthe, and I'd say about half offer 4 different non-absinthes in addition to Lucid.

I think europeans are being far less picky about the absinthe they drink

Less discerning than these bros?

timetime.jpg

This is where I get on my soapbox for how Americans have ruined food...but I'm under the impression that in most European countries they tend to prefer things that taste good, over hideous, flavorless monstrosities of food. As such, most Europeans also know what good wine tastes like and tend to not ingest absolute garbage unless they're fairly desperate. Even the Americans I've met working at our local absinthe bar said they preferred the flavor of French and American absinthes to the Czech variants, but felt like that was because they just didn't know enough and liked the wrong thing simply because it tasted good.

I got the same issues with the local shop. They do a stellar job with wine, tequila, beer, whisky, bourbon, etc, but fail miserably with absinthe. I went Friday, and my choices were crapsinthes, pastis, or Lucid (which was in a locked cabinet with the $150 cognacs). They wondered why they were out of VC. the lady told me ny best bet for good absinthe was to go online. :shock:

I'm going to go to their main store downtown with a stack of WS flyers, and if I get attitude, I won't darken their stores with my shadow anymore.

I found as many backwards tastes and thinking in europe as here, with a better knowledge of local goods being the bigger difference. Americans have come a long way in the last 20 years, but they still got a long way to go.