Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

La Fee gets flamed

FWIW you are known by the company you keep, and you are known by your actions. If La Fee and the associated distilleries want the douchebag college clubbing crowd (for the money or whatever other reason) they can have it.

I'm not a part of that crowd. I won't have it (anymore)... simple as that.

Internet sleuthing for the win. This explains a lot concerning that connection.

Thanks for searching that out, Tatan. I didn't know La Fee X.S. went back to 2004; it's too bad that, faced with a fork in the road back then, certain folks didn't opt to take the road less traveled and stick with keeping their products genuine and of high quality.

I hadn't realized that Francoise Guy and Claude B. distilled anything for La Fee. That's a questionable association for them to make.

I think that's a fair point to make. I can't speak for François, but as far as Claude-Alain is concerned, I believe he thought at the time that it could only be beneficial if the owner of La Fée (which probably has broader global distribution than any other absinthe) could be persuaded to up their game and focus more on higher quality products. Whether or not that has actually happened is another matter.

Thanks Ron.

...In the Non-Coloured Spirit arena, the top dog was Blanche de Fougerolles (about 50 Euros—not sure if you can buy it in Blighty either) followed by Enigma Blanche (confusingly, now apparently the same product...

Indeed they are the same product. Was this a clever ruse to enter the BdF twice? Perhaps the blogger misunderstood the description of the brand.

As I say, it was a blind tasting—even after we had submitted our scores they did not reveal what the samples had been. I'm just going on the write-up in the magazine, so there may have been an error there. I certainly can't see why the maker would submit the same product under two different brand names, unless they were trying to catch us out! Though of course there were also awards being handed out for packaging, which is presumably different for each of the brands.

Welcome, Clayton (the writer of the original blog).

I'm sure someone else will suggest you introduce yourself, so I'll just say that Clayton is doing a good job helping the cause of real absinthe in the UK with his events, his blog, etc. :cheers:

George Rowley apparently asked it to be taken down because it was 'riddled with inaccuracies'. So, I've obtained permission to reprint it on my own blog. I'll ask for the specific points that are inaccurate. ;)

Hello, I'm Clayton Hartley, co-author of the blog on which the post in question originally appeared.

For the record, I have agreed to take down the post temporarily as George does indeed say it contains damaging inaccuracies. He hasn't actually told me what they are yet, but I hope to speak to him this week, then repost with any amendments necessary. I did originally email him with some questions but didn't get a reply, which didn't particularly surprise me, though in truth I should have tried a bit harder to get in touch. George says he never received my original email. In any case, since the article is about his product range it is only right and proper that he be given a chance to comment.

If this maker feels sheepish about some things, and is a bit slippery on others, why not just step up his game? How hard could it be if he has all the wheels in motion anyway? No fake color, better herbs...

It seems as the public becomes more aware, he will lose ground. A smart guy would just step up and improve his product.

I'm interested to see what these inaccuracies are as well...in the post I noticed there were what I assumed to be facts (like who won what awards, and under what categories) and the taster's opinion of how things tasted in their mouth. I wonder which of these they're considering to be inaccurate...

We seem to be a patient lot. If he just said that he has seen the light, reject shady marketing, selling crapsinthes, and make a decent effort at making good absinthe, the flamming would stop in time. But he might be making too much money with crapsinthes to change, and uses the X.S. to deflect criticism.

Edited by Miguel

To me it's a simple question. Do you love money or absinthe more?

Plenty of distillers even (especially?) in the "new market" of the U.S. seem to care for absinthe to the point of shooting down chances to get into the college club scene that would bring them even more money.

Anyone can say whatever and make themselves look good. Which is why I weigh heavy on the actions.

In my mind money is not the only currency exchanged. There's the economy of authenticity, knowledge, and integrity.

Call me a self-rightous, newbie, Americanist, millennial, but there's more to a market than the dollar value. I hate the talk about how some of this is okay because it brings more monetary success. That's like saying lying bankers are ok because their tactics gave them more money.

Ultimately I'm confused. Why would makers and defenders of real absinthe get into bed with a notorious fauxsinthe bohemian method marketed line? Can someone explain how the makers of XS Suisse can also promote an IGP, and pretend to defend real absinthe at the same time? Cognitive dissonance?

La Fee is as La Fee does, which they've made plenty obvious. It's the others involved that I'm feeling sketchy about.

The market will eventually speak for itself. As the market matures, those who like absinthe will avoid the crappy products, and vote with their $$ for the ones they like. La Fee got a boost when absinthe became a fad, now that it has cooled off, the bad or mediocre brands are sitting in the shelves, while the good ones seem to be in demand. My fear is that the good ones will be taken down with the bad, economically speaking.

some retailers 'get it' like Catskill Cellars. Others like my local spirits pimp (Spec's) are still wondering how come VC always leaves the shelves, while Lucid and the crapsinths move slowly. I do belive Lucid would move better if it was ~$10/bottle cheaper.

To me it's a simple question. Do you love money or absinthe more?

La Fee is as La Fee does, which they've made plenty obvious. It's the others involved that I'm feeling sketchy about.

Is it just my impression or are the n00bs getting smarter? ;)

I'm getting behind the n00bs. Most are doing a stellar job.

A tip of the hat to those that are "getting it".

Thank you and keep up the good work. :cheers:

Ultimately I'm confused. Why would makers and defenders of real absinthe get into bed with a notorious fauxsinthe bohemian method marketed line?

At the time, there seemed to be a possibility that, with XS, La Fée would focus much more on higher quality absinthe, and less on fauxsinthe. That would have been good for the whole category, globally.

I wouldn't call that "getting into bed" with them. But then I'm an old-fashioned, never kiss on the first date type of person. :devil:

Alan,

You were trying to have them come to the good side of the Force? You can bring a Sith lord next to the good side, but only they can cross over. :)

Thanks Alan, that helps explain the motives behind the initial decision. I feel a little better about it.

Still going Clandestine over XS, that is when the IGP drops out of existence. (Hopefully, no new French IGP either now that they can label their stuff properly. )

Now for why XS is still being produced for them when La Fee hasn't changed it's stance especially in regards to the bohemian absinth being made and artificial coloring being used? A few years (dates) later?

A good question. Which I prefer not to answer publicly at this stage. Claude-Alain has ongoing discussions with La Fee, and it would be premature to say anything more here. But personally I agree with the thought behind your question.

I had noticed some weird hinting at interaction between the two. La Fee sent this out as their newsletter regarding the legalization of absinthe and it struck me as a little odd.

Now, finally, the French Senate and their National Assembly have voted away the last legislature against ‘real Absinthe’ - in response to a possible Swiss threat to monopolise the category. Absinthe is tied to many aspects of French culture and this decision (lobbied by the FFS on behalf of all French Absinthe distillers - a move recommended by La Fée over a year ago); reinforces France's role in leading Absinthe's worldwide Renaissance.

Now we can look forward to both France and Switzerland respecting each other’s place in Absinthe's history and getting on with the serious business of ensuring France and Switzerland claim their rightful place as the true distillers of this fine drink.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet though...either things are being amicably handled give the IGP situation, or quality absinthes from other regions have both France AND Switzerland to contend with now. :g:

Anyone can say whatever and make themselves look good. Which is why I weigh heavy on the actions.

In my mind money is not the only currency exchanged. There's the economy of authenticity, knowledge, and integrity.

Call me a self-rightous, newbie, Americanist, millennial, but there's more to a market than the dollar value. I hate the talk about how some of this is okay because it brings more monetary success. That's like saying lying bankers are ok because their tactics gave them more money.

Crazy talk! :twitchsmile:

These crazy kids are using their heads! Ambear and Tatan have a nice line of reasoning going, putting 2 and 2 together. I am so digging this!

What did Deep Throat say so long ago? :devil:

Follow the euros? :)

I noticed a lot of lurkers that might have been afraid of a thread were the truth and reasoning were being used.