Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

La Fee gets flamed

In fact it received a Silver for the packaging, but in the blind tasting it received no medals, scoring the lowest marks of all the absinthes present.

FINALLY. I've been puzzling over this for a good while now...nice to see what the award is actually for.

In it for the money and nothing else. The actions of the La Fee line (among others) make it obvious.

This was a cause of some outrage when these products were released—why pay £80 for the Suisse when La Clandestine, made by the same man at the same distillery, can be found for under £40?

Really? :huh:

The sad thing is, it's never too late to correct things. Plenty have tweaked their production methods, deepened their vision, and gained the respect of the community by stepping up to the plate, rather than dancing around it.

Those folks care passionately about good absinthe, and care passionately about the quality of their craft. Pride and Shame would never allow them to go down the road La Fee has gone.

And there it went. That's why I always save the webpage for things that I REALLY want to keep; here in the digital age, it's far too easy to take a page down and pretend it was never there. Not even the Wayback Machine could bring this one back :(

And there it went. That's why I always save the webpage for things that I REALLY want to keep; here in the digital age, it's far too easy to take a page down and pretend it was never there. Not even the Wayback Machine could bring this one back :(

No worries. The internet never forgets. Here is Google's cache of it.

Thanks Ron.

...In the Non-Coloured Spirit arena, the top dog was Blanche de Fougerolles (about 50 Euros—not sure if you can buy it in Blighty either) followed by Enigma Blanche (confusingly, now apparently the same product...

Indeed they are the same product. Was this a clever ruse to enter the BdF twice? Perhaps the blogger misunderstood the description of the brand.

George Rowley apparently asked it to be taken down because it was 'riddled with inaccuracies'. So, I've obtained permission to reprint it on my own blog. I'll ask for the specific points that are inaccurate. ;)

I just saw and had a nice chat with George Rowley a week ago when he made an absinthe presentation in Paris with Marie-Claude Delahaye. Very interesting from a point of view of understanding his and Le Fée's journey and the legislation and distilleries involved (though he won't say where the XS series are distilled - not hard to figure out). He openly apologized about first importing Hills, explaining that he was originally duped by Vladimir Hill himself, who told him that Hills absinth was authentic. He explained when he found out, he found Marie-Claude and convinced her to help him make an authentic French absinthe.

He was very sheepish talking about sugar-burning in front of Marie-Claude and didn't make a point that it should be followed. She had some issues with his very short history lesson (the Henriod sisters being the origin of the original absinthe recipe and not Pierre Ordinaire).

He did the entire presentation in English (with a translator) to a mostly French-speaking audience.

He passed around a bunch of dried absinthe plants for people to smell and see, unfortunately, it was Petite Absinthe and I don't think he was aware of that.

I have the entire Powerpoint presentation on a USB drive - which he gave out at the end, and will bring it to Tales.

Edited by pierreverte

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

I still get peeved when he brings up Marie-Claude as an independent authority who approves of his products. She might be an authority, but she's also part owner of the operation, so that kinda blows the 'independent' part out of the water.

Good catch, Ron - thanks for the link!

I hadn't realized that Francoise Guy and Claude B. distilled anything for La Fee. That's a questionable association for them to make.

...i've never been........but i've heard that Marie-Claude Delahaye's Musée de l'Absinthe really sucks.... has anyone from the WS visited it?

The problem with MCD is that she's one of the world's leading authorities on the subject of absinthe...and she doesn't even drink the stuff. :huh:

Good catch, Ron - thanks for the link!

I hadn't realized that Francoise Guy and Claude B. distilled anything for La Fee. That's a questionable association for them to make.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe that is one of the inaccuracies of the article?

It seems with how the Swiss like to "protect" "their" absinthe, they would do no such distilling of an unnaturally colored product for someone else.

Even if it's just the blanche, it's still for La Fee...the rest of the company being, again, questionable.

Oh damn! :blink:

It's good in a sense to see that it's not just my personal frustrations with the company...but more frustrating in ways that it's more than just myself that's upset.