Sign in to follow this  
Pierre

Huff Post article on the repeal of French ban

"Absinthe is largely regulated where it's sold, limiting the thujone content. In the U.S., for example, the drink must contain less that 10 ppm thujone, which is almost unnoticeable, and can hardly be considered absinthe."

Nice to know that our absinthe isn't! :thumbdown:

Yeah, I posted that when I was at work earlier but meant to add a disclaimer for that stupid line. It is shame too, since it wasn't a bad article until that bullcrap.

Think of it as a sit-com. It's just entertainment. The comments were a real hoot!

Nice job of taking the "Mod" to task, Brian. One little question was all it took.

I read the article so quickly I didn't even notice the comments. Thanks for the heads up Joe. Also, a big thank you to Brian for properly representing absinthe and the Wormwood Society once again. Great stuff.

Made the mistake of reading the comments. My brain is still retching! Can't slam Ariana's crew in particular, I've encountered similar levels of ignorance in lots of places.

Take any of the recipes from the days of old, make an absinthe per the old texts, and you still don't tripballz™. Or better yet, buy some of the original pre-ban shit and guess what? No ballz to be tripped. There is a culture that desperately wants absinthe to be a drug, a really cool hip drug, but the boring truth is that it's not. It's just a really tasty booze, some of it made extremely well. Thujone is not, and never will be, a drug. It doesn't matter how many wormwood twigs you stick in a bottle, or how many parts per million you end up with, it's completely irrelevant. If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage. Leave absinthe alone.

Let the jackasses waste their money. Some of them absolutely know more than you, and refuse to be corrected. They deserve to spend $300 on KOS. I'm to the point where I feel like it just leaves more of the good stuff for the people who care about it.

I will, however, help anyone who comes here with an open mind looking to learn about absinthe.

And kudos again to Brian for jumping in there. Much more tame than the way some of his other article/comment corrections have gone down.

Exactly Ron.

Have you noticed when anyone who ever has talked about a "tripping" experience NEVER knows the brand of absinthe that they drank? It is always some BS story about how they wandered in to some store in Prague or Paris, or some other European city and saw an old bottle of absinthe that they drank and then proceeded to have this crazy drug-like experience. It is bullshit and they know it, but they stick by it. Trust me... if a booze ever made me hallucinate (whether I liked it or not) I just might jot the name of it down. It might have made more of an impression than some random "really dusty bottle". But no- these people always seem to "forget" it, purely to tell some shit story to try to impress people.

Since we are an org who lists education on its agenda, it is our duty, as Brian has done in this case, to chime in politely and patiently on the article's comment section. If one out of 10 people reading the comment shifts their thinking, visits us, orders something GOOD and prepares it correctly, we're helping, and doing our jobs. I added a comment this morning to this article. I think the Huffington Post is worthy of our time, as are most of it's readers.

If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage. Leave absinthe alone.

Let the jackasses waste their money. Some of them absolutely know more than you, and refuse to be corrected. They deserve to spend $300 on KOS. I'm to the point where I feel like it just leaves more of the good stuff for the people who care about it.

You sir are my hero :worshippy:

Have you noticed when anyone who ever has talked about a "tripping" experience NEVER knows the brand of absinthe that they drank?
Hey, I've seen people who do :) They don't even say it was an old bottle. Some people seem to be able to 'hallucinate' whenever they're supposed to, provided they've drunken half a bottle of dyed vodka.

I'm pretty sure some of them don't know that it's bullshit. Junkie wannabes can be quite enthusiastic...

if a booze ever made me hallucinate (whether I liked it or not) I just might jot the name of it down.

I once prayed homage to the tequila Gods, while bent over the porcelain alter. I saw stars that night. I don't remember the name. I think it might have been a mix of a few.