Sign in to follow this  
demise1893

The Seattle Crowd Here...

As far as local bars go, are there any that serve absinthe? And if so, is it quality absinthe or gasoline with herbs jammed in?

I'm having a heck of a time finding one in Philadelphia. Although the only search method I've been using is the internet.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to spur some conversation on local bars in the US that serve absinthe.

So how then would a US bar with a legal license acquire Absinthe? Unless it is made in the US and there is currently a thread with a horse being beaten on that.

There might be a variety of back-door ways for "us" to get Absinthe without much cause to fear much in the way of reprocussions, but it's not the same thing for bars and other businesses.

Down in New Orleans, which you would think would be "the" place in all of the US where you might find somebody serving Absinthe, there is only one bar that I know of (on Pirates Alley) that even attempts to do the "ritual". They've got proper (reproduction) glasses, spoons, and a little hose that can be used to relatively gently pour a stream of cold water over the sugar cube.

However, they not only do the whole flame thing, but they also have to use "Absente".

Laws vary from state to state, and here in Washington State, -all- spiritous liquor -has- to be purchased from the state run liquor store system. And that system has a very specific set list of products that they sell, with "some" option to do special orders for things that they don't carry. If a liquor control board officer discovers a bar serving something that did not come through the state system, they can shut them down.

-Robert

It's only illegal to import, from my understanding.
It's prohibited to import it and absolutely illegal to sell it. It's also illegal to possess any liquor upon which US taxes or duties have not been paid. How did you get past all those exhortations to read the FAQ on the way in here?

There are two links at the top of the page you should read thoroughly: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS and Laws.

Demise1893's post has got me wondering something.....no really.

On a sidenote, how many of you guys, 'Yanks only please, do have a public venue/hangout that you have taken your stash to permitted or otherwise?

:devil:

There's an old, well-storied locals bar across the bridge from me, that has one particular bartender who makes her own (not very good) oil mix absinthes. But she keeps, or brings on her shifts, a bottle of pernod 68 in a bottle of pernod pastis, and serves it to people she knows. I've tried to convince her to bring something better, but she has a "special connection" that gets it for her cheap, and I decided not to push.

It makes a nice surprise for out-of-town guests, who like the "speakeasy" edge to it, but the absinthe is, well, it's pernod 68.

Also, she's flaky, not there very often, and the other bartenders don't even want to talk about it.

I only drink at home after locking myself in and turning off the phone. I never look out the peep hole and keep the curtains drawn.

Then, only then, do I feel safe enough to pour a drink.

There could have been tiny video suveillance cameras hidden in your home while you were out. I take the above precautions, but I also turn off all the lights. I drink silently, the room lit only by my sugar.

There's an old, well-storied locals bar across the bridge from me, that has one particular bartender who makes her own (not very good) oil mix absinthes. But she keeps, or brings on her shifts, a bottle of pernod 68 in a bottle of pernod pastis, and serves it to people she knows. I've tried to convince her to bring something better, but she has a "special connection" that gets it for her cheap, and I decided not to push.

It makes a nice surprise for out-of-town guests, who like the "speakeasy" edge to it, but the absinthe is, well, it's pernod 68.

Also, she's flaky, not there very often, and the other bartenders don't even want to talk about it.

This is the kind of response I was looking for. Maybe I worded my original post badly; I do understand that if a bar did serve absinthe, of course it would be illegal.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

Hiram, I saw that Bauhaus was back together touring and expecting to record new material. I used to listen to them in high school, although I was never into the goth scene. I was a band geek and the drama people took care of the black clothes and make-up image. Did you ever dress "goth"?

I only drink at home after locking myself in and turning off the phone. I never look out the peep hole and keep the curtains drawn. 

Then, only then, do I feel safe enough to pour a drink.

That's only so no one sees you busting out the Hills! Your guilty pleasure

:harhar:

...I was never into the goth scene... Did you ever dress "goth"?
I'm a bit of a chameleon. My unstable Gemini nature doesn't really permit me to settle into any particular scene. Sometimes I listen to old-school goth and dress in basic black, but I'm not a goth. I listen to cocktail/swank and wear tropical shirts and khakis, but I'm not... um, whatever that would make me. I have certain aesthetics/fashions/musical cultures that I enjoy and move in and out of; 60s/70s classic rock, reggae, goth, casual, victorian/edwardian. I'm a cultural mutt.

triptych.jpg

I was presuming this based on the article(Seattle Weekly) in the publications section of this site:

"There are worse ways to spend a weekday evening than having a pseudonymous 47-year-old ex-goth feeding you illegal substances"

I like the laid back look in the middle picture myself, but you could have taken over Keannu(sp?)Reeves part in "The Matrix" easily judging by the first picture :cheers:

I dropped out of the goth scene because it was too much of picture number 1 and not enough picture number 3. Since we're on the subject, I've been trying to find one of those nice victorian velvet hair ribbons. I think it'd make a nice addition to my concert tux. Anyone know a good place to get one?

Make no mistake, Hiram is a pimp. I think under my tutelage he could maximize his Ho-tacular abilities, but not unless he's willing to really develop his off-handed bé-atch-smack. It's all about sacrifice.

I've been known to carry a flask with me—whenever I go out clubbing.  Siouxsie and Budgie were fun at The Showbox.  So were the Glitzkrieg Girls and the fabluous Vienna le Rouge at  Fenix Underground. Then there was Grendel at The Vogue.  Now and again, I lurk at the Merc as well.

As many folks here know, i travel for a living, so I am seldom home near my stash. I have taken after folks like Hiram, and just bring my absinthe-show on the road with me. A full flask, a few cubes wrapped in foil, and my spoon. Then, it's just a matter of buying a bottle of water at the hotel, and I am good to go.

It's when the trips get to the 4-5+ day length that I have to start worrying about rationing.

Since we're on the subject, I've been trying to find one of those nice victorian velvet hair ribbons... Anyone know a good place to get one?

Look for grosgrain ribbon at a fabric or notions store in your area. Mind you, black can be difficult to find and expensive to purchase if you can't find a store that will sell it by the yard. Other options are florists and stationery stores that stock extensive wrapping supplies. Again, black can be rare and expensive depending on how much you're expected to buy at one time. Me, I lucked out with a ribbon from a gift of See's Chocolates...black satin ribbon with gold edge.

I never got into the "goth dressing" thing back then, but there were several bands I found interesting (not necessarily goth bands, but from the period). Yeah, many will point to bands on the 4AD label, but my own enduring favorites include "Crispy Ambulance", "Stockholm Monsters", "Lemon Kittens", "Eyeless in Gaza"... Shoot, the list is too long. I see another thread is addressing music faves, so I'll move my fawning over there.

(As for the dressing all in black, I'm reminded of a song by the old "cowpunk" band "Rank and File" out of Austin, TX. They had a great song titled "I went Walking" on their debut album "Sundown" that skewered the lemming-like dress of folks in the dance scene. Not that conformity in whatever form hasn't been the focus of untold numbers of songs...)

Make no mistake, Hiram is a pimp.  I think under my tutelage he could maximize his Ho-tacular abilities, but not unless he's willing to really develop his off-handed bé-atch-smack.  It's all about sacrifice.

C'mon, Grimmy, give the guy a break...it's a long haul to Tijuana, Hombre.