Sign in to follow this  
Phil Days

Will American made Absinthe give that unique Absinthe effect?

I personally vouch for the distillation theory. Absinthe (the well-made brands that we all know) has two big advantages over the average commercial spirit:

- its quality level is unbelievably higher than the average commercial stuff (for half a year I also "worked" for a big-ass commercial distillery so I know what they put in the bottles and their tricks), and this means no colorants, no chemicals, no shit, just alcohol and herbs.

- absinthe generally starts from 96% base alcohol, which is highly purified ethanol with very little water, and then we redistill it along with the herbs and we cut again head and tails. This means that every possible other alcohol contaminant (methanol, etc) that could have been left in the base alcohol gets discarded, leaving only pure ethanol. And btw don't ask me numbers, but eventho methanol is considered poisonous, there is a maximum level of methanol allowed by the law in commercial spirits, and it's not that low; not enough to give acute poisoning but in my opinion definitely enough to give some side effect. And this is when the producers respect the law; we all know they are not always good boys.

So, while there are other spirits that are at the same quality level as absinthe (I think about some of the really expensive artisanal whisky, cognac, brandy, grappa etc), they are fermented spirits, and they don't undergo a big deal of purification/rectification, cause this would strip them of all the flavors. (and btw usually you don't get drunk on this stuff because of the price)

And there are other spirits like vodka, that are generally highly rectified (more or less according to the style) but I doubt there's any commercial vodka produced with the same quality level as good absinthe. There are some good ones but they are still mass-produced, and the artisanal ones are not that rectified for lack of expensive machinery.

So yes, I think absinthe has an edge over any other spirit in being less toxic to the body and giving less side effects. But if you abuse it (4+ glasses) you'll be drunk-drunk and you'll have your next-day nasty hangover to deal with.

But if you abuse it (4+ glasses) you'll be drunk-drunk and you'll have your next-day nasty hangover to deal with.

Not a problem with your stuff, Stefano.

I sometimes have a second glass, but my taste buds are usually too delightfully exhausted to venture on to glass three.

And in the case of L'Ancienne, glass two. :cheers:

... my taste buds are usually too delightfully exhausted to venture on to glass three.

:wheelchair:

I gather applies to the carefully made absinthes, the ones made by folks passionate about good absinthe. With crapsinthes, all bets are off the table.

I'll dip my toes into this murky water. I've only been drinking Absinthe for 3 years or so, but I notice that the 'effects' of European made Absinthe when compared to American made Absinthe is different in my experience. I've had a few bottles of 'good' American Absinthe and enjoyed them, but I've yet to find one that has the overall complexities of the European Absinthe I've tried. This goes all the way from the color to the type of 'buzz' or feeling I have after a glass or two. I've noticed with me that European Absinthe lends iteslf to a clarity that I can't really explain. I love to sip a glass of European Absinthe and read. It's like the book comes alive and my understanding of it is enhanced. I've just not found that with any US Absinthe's. I'll keep trying though. :cheers:

I have tried a few brands of domestic absinthe and a few from overseas. So far, only one has made any difference regarding effect. That was my very first absinthe and it was an oil mix.

Sometimes I think, and this is just my opinion, that some of us try too hard to find that special effect in domestic versus overseas absinthe and lose track of enjoying a nice glass of booze.

The herbs in each batch, no matter the brand, will differ in some slight degree. The herbs are what make absinthe what it is. As the domestic stills get older, maybe the effect will catch up to the other stuff.

I'm just shootin' from the hip on that one and not :poke: at anyone. :cheers:

The only thing that makes reading come alive for me is a good cup of coffee, and a good author. The only thing that makes watching nature more alive for me was [censored]. But a small bit of ethanol sure helps me knock off after a stressful day. :cheers:

Personally, I've found that the type and amount of food I've eaten prior to drinking can have a huge influence over how buzzy (and the "type" of buzzy) I get, far more than whether the booze I have is a particular liquor from a particular country.

In answer to your posted question, it's been my experience that the effects of absinthe have been generally the same regardless of which continent they originated from, and perhaps more importantly, I don't always experience the same effects even from the same bottle of the same absinthe in the same week.

I don't experience the "absinthe effect" at all anymore.

The only thing it does now is make me hungry.

I don't care where it's from as long as it's good.

I'm glad there are people making good shit here in the States.

I agree with you, Peridot. If I have a glass of absinthe (no matter where it is made) I end up being hungry an hour later, or so.

One effect I noticed: if I'm drinking absinthe late at night, it really screws with my sleep. Coffee does the same thing.

Hmm, that's interesting. I almost never have the taste for absinthe late in the evening, even though I essentially make a "liqueur" out of it by adding sugar, and I can be in the mood for other liqueurs in the evening. It's probably the fact that absinthe is served chilled that makes it less conducive to evening drinking (at least for me).

As for absinthe "effects", I should perhaps clarify that I do feel a little bit more alert and energized, with a boost of "clarity", but again, that might have a lot to do with it being served chilled (cold drinks tend to wake me up) and in the late afternoon/early evening.

I'm in the mood for a cold drink anytime. Or lukewarm.

If I'm drinking something warm it's probably tea.

I should perhaps clarify that I do feel a little bit more alert and energized,

There is something to be said for that. Absinthe lends itself to social exchanges extremely well. Last summer a state Representative stopped by for "10 minutes" to see the distillery. He had his first glass of absinthe. We talked politics, booze and Ridge absinthe. Over two hours later, he checked his watch, laughed and said his goodbyes. Summer days on The Ridge are like that sometimes.

The only real effects for me are added alertness ('lucidity' if you will), longevity of the night, and some vivid dreams.

But don't rule out the prostitute thing.

Edited by Jonathan D.

Harkening back to Stefano's post: I agree. Garbage in = garbage out. Quality in = quality out. Is the distiller generous with her cuts? Or greedy? Ingredients are an important factor. The better the herbs the better the beverage. This leads into the difference in that special feeling aka buzz. Absinthe is a wonderful herbal concoction that can be relaxing and energizing all at the same time. All absinthes have different recipes. Different herbal profiles. Different herb sources. Different genetic backgrounds. That is why no group will ever agree on one best absinthe. A beautiful thing, no?

The only thing it does now is make me hungry.

I don't care where it's from as long as it's good.

I'm glad there are people making good shit here in the States.

....pretty much.

One effect I noticed: if I'm drinking absinthe late at night, it really screws with my sleep.

yup. Crazy, confused dreams.

I should perhaps clarify that I do feel a little bit more alert and energized
The only real effects for me are added alertness
There is something to be said for that.

No shit! That settles it. I'm going to switch out Red Bull for absinthe as my road drink from now on! :twitchsmile:

Also, I heard it increases :censor1::censor1: , and that your partner will thank you for it.

In all seriousness though, I don't get any effect at all, other than what I perceive to be the aforementioned clear-headed drunkenness. That is until I stand up. Then I realize I'm just drunk and also talking a lot.

By reading through all the posts on this thread and the various experiences opinioned, it's obvious to me that the 'effect' is quite subjective. One of the reasons why I love the complexities of Absinthe. Great discussion! :thumbup:

Indeed. :cheers:

Is the distiller generous with her cuts?
Braggart. :heart:

Then I realize I'm just drunk and also talking a lot.
Talking a lot? Referring to myself only, who would know the difference? :laugh:

By reading through all the posts on this thread and the various experiences opinioned, it's obvious to me that the 'effect' is quite subjective.

Exactly. Any reports of effects by reputable individuals (I.e. not the erowid crowd and not shitsinthe producers) describe effects that are so mild that they can easily be attributed to mindset or other environmental factors.

Further, if you're expecting to feel effects from something, many times people exaggerate things they think they might be feeling, as evidenced by the experiments I've done with absinthe and non-absinthes in the past.

Personally, I've never really felt anything, unless I've had a lot. And even then, all I've really experienced are strange dreams. But I've felt the same effects if I've imbibed things like Herbsaint, sambuca, or other anise or fennel heavy alcohols.

I am a strong believer that food/drink made with a good deal of love and passion is palatable.

In the name of science I decided to get drunk last night on absinthe (well...I guess it was more of an accident, but it was the first time drinking Vieux Carré and didn't see the harm of having a second glass. After having a glass of Jade NO...) Definitely a lot less heavy-headed and staggery than when I was drunk a few weeks back on non-absinthe drinks, definitely had weird dreams (none of which I can remember) when I finally went to sleep. I drank an acceptable amount of water, so I wasn't hideously hungover when I woke up at 7:30 this morning (after going to bed a bit after midnight.) I would say I'm aware that I drank last night, but my body isn't loudly reminding me. :laugh: