Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

nice, can you post a photo?

I'll try.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#32 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

:thumbup:

Abbotts? Something that was once widely popular.....
then banned by the government due to one ingredient.....
people working to re create it from old samples...
Who here would be interested in that? :twitchsmile:

#33 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

then banned by the government due to one ingredient.....

I'm not aware of Abbott's being banned, just that they went out of business. You may be speaking of Tonka bean, but other than one(?) gas chromatography experiment, which identified it in one vintage sample (which I'm not sure was made before, during or after prohibition - there are some definite differences between the three - actually four, periods of Abbott's), and there is no known original recipe or absolute proof that original Abbott's contained Tonka bean.
An analogy, the TTB had detected calamus in three different absinthes, and they did not contain it.
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#34 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

You mean sometimes they get it wrong, Peter? Say it ain't so! For shame!

And since you mentioned it, I prefer a little calamus. Terrible as it is.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#35 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Right , I just reread the article, and the author is only speculating that the ban on tonka had an affect.

From Class Magazine

The bitters market was left with Abbott's, Angostura, Peychaud's and Fee Brothers - three of those you probably stock on your bar today, with Abbott's having become victim to our old friends, The Food and Drug Administration, in 1954. It imposed a ban on tonka beans in food and drink due to their coumarin content - coumarin is a naturally occurring chemical that can lead to intestinal bleeding and liver damage. It was particularly damaging in rats, though less so in humans, who can metabolize it much better, but hey, Uncle Sam knew best.

Unfortunately for Abbott's, tonka beans provided the key flavour to its bitters, tasting something like a blend of vanilla, almonds and cloves. We have heard anecdotal evidence that Abbott's re-formulated the brand, perhaps using vanilla. That's merely speculation: what is certainly true is that it was around this time that Abbott's disappeared for good. Perhaps the new recipe meant they just weren't as good as they used to be, or more likely the whole category was in decline as post-war America's palate sweetened and embraced the tropical flavours of Tiki drinks - not really the natural home of a dash of bitters.

#36 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

You Googlin' fool, you. :twitchsmile:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#37 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

Right , I just reread the article, and the author is only speculating that the ban on tonka had an affect.

From Class Magazine

Unfortunately for Abbott's, tonka beans provided the key flavour to its bitters, tasting something like a blend of vanilla, almonds and cloves.

We have heard anecdotal evidence that Abbott's re-formulated the brand, perhaps using vanilla.

My thought is the other way around as a blend of vanilla, almonds and cloves also taste and smell like themselves blended together, as are there other components of the flavor profile of Abbott's.

I quizzed Philip Duff at Tales this year as he did some fantastic research on vanilla for a seminar. He believes no producer would use Tonka bean, if they had access to vanilla, and were willing to pay the price difference, as Tonka is most often used as a cheap alternative to real vanilla.

We love spekulatatizin' 'round here, just as for historic absinthe, that's all we can really do...
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#38 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

From Class Magazine

post-war America's palate sweetened and embraced the tropical flavours of Tiki drinks - not really the natural home of a dash of bitters.

That would be news to Donn Beach.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#39 Adam Liquor Outlet

Adam Liquor Outlet

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

What a great topic, I want to try them all!!

I am hoping to greatly expand our bitters section in store. There just aren't enough resources around for them in these parts.

#40 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

As someone who is only now getting into an occasional cocktail, this thread is very helpful. Thanks for all the good input.
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association