will do!

Now holding, 2 bottles of L'Ancienne!!

Being only 10 am, I must wait for a more appropriate time to try it... but damn am I excited!!

Check it:

ancienne002.jpg

ancienne001.jpg

I am sooo tempted to open one now, but I will wait... let the excitement build a little more :biggrin:

:arrr:

Fair enough...

On the other hand, i couldn't resist, and I prepared a taste. I measured 5ml of L'Ancienne, and 22.08ml ( ;) ) ice water for an abv of 12%. Measuring with a 10cc medicine syringe, it allowed me to be really accurate and go drop by drop and really admire the louche. It was a small amount, but incredible to watch nonetheless!

Initial thoughts are that this is truly a superb absinthe. I want to avoid any descriptors until I can spend some more time with it (a couple glasses tonight should do it).

Rather than doing this in my absinthe glass, I actually put the taste in my Glencairn glass, so I could fully appreciate and explore the bouquet. I have a very developed palate (from my years as a fine wine and spirit connoisseur, scotch and cognac mostly) so I plan on putting it to good use and thoroughly exploring this absinthe (and all my others ;) )

When I was at the post office I was a little worried that it wouldn't be there yet, as the delivery slip said after 1pm... but I was there, and checked anyway... lo and behold, "yup, the package is in the back"

All I have to say at this point is delicious. I am going to set up a line of samples at different ratios tonight and really give er a go.

Stefano, well done!!!! :worshippy:

:thumbup:

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

Rather than doing this in my absinthe glass, I actually put the taste in my Glencairn glass, so I could fully appreciate and explore the bouquet.

This came up at fpb's absinthe evaluation session at GAAF. I think he said he uses one of his Riedel glasses (chardonnay?) for the same reason -- the typical absinthe glass is just a lousy shape for aroma.

TM'ing a Douglas Adams quote? Sacrilege!

But yeah, that has always been my problem with absinthe glasses. Its like tasting a fine scotch out of a tumbler. Before I got my Glencairn (awesome glass BTW) I used a cut crystal brandy snifter.

But part of the fun of absinthe, is the glassware. I have actually found that the glass I drink out of effects the way I drink it. For fine beer, I have started drinking it out of wineglasses, or those tapered mouth beer glasses like you see Stella served in. I find drinking it that way makes me slow down and really take in the bouquet. As far as absinthe is concerned, I am a little torn about what to drink it out of.

When I drink scotch, I spend more time smelling it than I do tasting it. I could sit there with a little splash in the bottom of a glass, and smell it all afternoon.

As much as I like absinthe glasses, I feel that to truly give it a thorough assessment, a proper glass is paramount.

A pontarlier style glass with a tapered opening would be awesome, I should see if I can find a glass blower to make me my ultimate glass. Maybe a simple wine glass with a reservoir, would be ideal. I like simple, uncut glass.

Indeed!

You could have at least added a personal touch by misspelling something. :laugh:

Indeed!

You could have at least added a personal touch by misspelling something. :laugh:

:laf:

I poured glasses for 5 friends last night, and they all simply loved it. Really loved it.

I've poured glasses for a friend or two, and gotten the same reaction.

I would have poured glasses for five, but I didn't have enough cash on me to rent that many friends. :twitchsmile:

Edited by Absomphe

D. Adams to be sure no young one thought it was my idea.

I'd blame all the bc, but i think the cheap rum and cokes at the bar are to blame.

After drinking good absinthe exclusively for a year, cheap rum was a slap in the palate.

I know it's probably blasphemy around these parts/forum but I like to sip other things from time to time so as not to de-sensitize my tongue to other nice drinks or bad drinks.

As you can tell by the "what are you drinking thread". ;)

Please, feel free to have a Bud Lite. :devil:

I don't have much to say quite yet... but I did like it...

First sip was a bit intense, and rather bitter. I was actually detecting some off flavours, but they quickly developed into a rich, leathery, oaky complexity. There is definitely a lot going on in this glass, and I think beginners to absinthe might be turned off. I offered a taste to someone who likes anise drinks, and just tried absinthe for the first time, and she didnt like it at all. She said it was the overwhelming bitterness that turned her off it. She called it an "off flavour"

I, however, grew quite fond of the fullness as I drank my first full glass. 4.5:1 and no sugar is all I have tried thus far.

To be entirely honest, after my first sip, I was a bit disappointed. I couldn't shake that it could be cork contamination or something, but as I continued to drink it, it blossomed into something that one could look into rather than just taste and drink. And now, after my first full glass I cant wait to have another :thumbup:

I want to let it open up a bit before I give it a more thorough review. But so far Im happy I have 2 bottles of this stuff. Its going to take me a bit of time to get to know this one. Again, so much going on in the glass.

To be entirely honest, after my first sip, I was a bit disappointed. I couldn't shake that it could be cork contamination or something, but as I continued to drink it, it blossomed into something that one could look into rather than just taste and drink.

That could be a part of what pre-ban aficionados like to refer to as that "Rolls Royce leather thing" which also seems to impart a bit of a camphorous flavor. I haven't tried the 2011 release, but I understand that this has been toned down (or, rather, other elements have been adjusted to smooth and round it out a bit).

I don't find it bitter at all, but taste perception is a personal thing, and there is no right and wrong.

I suspect it will grow on you quickly. Have you considered going to 5:1? I prep it at both 4 and 5:1, and

anywhere between. I also love it with 1/2 a sugar cube. Maybe try that as well. A bit of sugar and enough water, and the lighter magical elements unfold and open up, with that nice old leather background. Not enough water, and you miss all the magic. Best of luck experimenting!