Pretty sure there's not much left available, if any, from the recently released batch made last Fall. If you fail to find any from the 2012 batch, I'm sure the schedule will be the same this year, made in the Fall, aged/rested, released in Spring '14.

Me too. It's gonna be tough waiting a couple days to let them settle before I open one!

Curious, but will they not "settle" just as well, opened? And wouldn't that also start the aeration process that everyone is so adamant about with the L'Ancienne?

That's just plain crazy talk. :secret2:

I'm just gonna open mine "eventually". I have a bunch of good stuff already opened, as well as some of the last batch in an open bottle 'round here somewhere.

I wish I found this forum a few months ago. Anyone know if/when a second batch will be available?

I distill L'Ancienne once a year, usually during the summer/fall and release it when it's ready the following year (after 4-6 months). This year, however, I've not been able to plan yet my trip to Europe for several reasons so the schedule might be a bit different and the next batch of L'Ancienne might be released later than usual.

I'll do my best to try to distill it in the current year, but as I said other times if I can't select the herbs and distill it in person to ensure it meets my expectations of quality and consistency, I'd rather not make it at all and wait until I can.

I once had an absinthe I opened upon recieving the package. I swear it had a different flavor profile a few days later after it settled. So, want the taste to be best? Let it rest.

I dunno...given that example, say I receive a bottle that I know has a certain flavor profile the first day, which then turns into something else a few days later. If I instead wait a few days and open it, do I get to skip that first-day flavor profile, or is that just how the bottle tastes right when you open it?

My point being, you have no way of knowing prior to opening the bottle what the absinthe tastes like, only what you've experienced after cracking it open, then waiting a few days. For example, I brought a few bottles of absinthe home from Montana this last year (the travelling of this absinthe was perhaps a bit less rigorous than what I'm sure a box goes through in the mail) then waited a week or two before opening the bottle and having a glass. It was kinda weird (and this was the case for all 4 bottles). A day or two later, it was just fine, but only after opening the bottle first. This flavor was the same whether I rested the bottles for 2 weeks or 2 months.

Yeah. Perhaps. I know the introduction to oxygen might have changed it a bit too. My point being that whether I waited or not, the first glass would change from the second a bit due to the oxygen. The absinthe in my example did have a weighty herb bill. So, who knows. You might be right.

That said, it might just have been my taste buds and not the absinthe at all. That is why I love this drink. It is NEVER boring to me.

Edited by greytail

Just had the first glass of the 2012 bottle; as far as I can tell, it tastes pretty similar to the 2011 batch, the last glass of which I had about a month ago.

I don't have the patience of others here to sit on a bottle for more than a month or so. I tried that with the Sauvage, and I lasted about six weeks before cracking into my archive bottle.

Just got my bottles today. Could not resist. Opened up and had a few wee samples. Incredibly smooth. Very very good. This stuff just gets better with each new batch. Well done Stefano.

Now I WILL resist and let it rest a bit. Can only get better. Very well rounded even now though. Was tough pulling the trigger for two bottles. So very glad I did now.

This batch tastes like an aged 2011 bottle. Everything is smoother, more in harmony and that aged Roles Royce leather is there but it too tastes even older. Awesome stuff.

Edited by greytail

... and that aged Roles Royce leather is there but it too tastes even older.

Silver Ghost leather, eh? :dribble:

Guess I'll have resume pulling that particular trigger next year.

I'm posting here what I announced on the L'Ancienne FB page:

This is the time of the year when I'm usually in Czech Rep. distilling the new batch of L'Ancienne.

Unfortunately this year I've not been able to make it, therefore there won't be a 2013 batch of L'Ancienne coming out next year.

It was really painful for me to make that decision, but when I said that I would never cut corners or put someone else in charge to distill my absinthe for me I was dead serious, and this is the result. I'd rather give up the sales of a year's batch than sell a product that might not live up to the quality standards my customers (and I) expect.

I hope that next year I'm gonna be able to resume the normal production.

Thanks,

Stefano

This is sad news, Stefano, especially since I was so looking forward to ordering several bottles of the 2013 to compensate from my silly decision to pass up the 2012.

However, your uncompromising attitude (and creativity, of course) is what has made L'Ancienne such a truly amazing creation, so here's hoping that next year's logistics prove more favorable. :cheers:

We tasted some of the 2012 next to some 2011 a few nights ago. Wonderful progress has been made. We will miss the 2013 but I support your decision to be in total creative control of your project, it shows true craft and artistry.

Hey guys,

I've been away for a while but I come bringing good news! This year I've been able to distill a new batch of L'Ancienne and for the people who are not on FB here is what I posted:

As you know, no L'Ancienne was made last year. I was not able to travel to Czech Rep. to the Zufanek distillery to personally distill the absinthe, and as such I decided to not make it at all. I take the trust people put in me when they buy a bottle of L'Ancienne very seriously. I either can make it personally and be satisfied with the quality or I don't make it at all.

This year I really wanted to make a new batch of L'Ancienne, but many things were in the way. Chiefly, the Pontarlier wormwood I usually use was not available, because for the second time the farmers decided to prioritize money over honoring their word. Also, the green anise I usually use was not available.
Using herbs of average quality was obviously not an option, so we tried our best to overcome these obstacles.

After having written off normal wormwood, we were able to get a few kilos of the wormwood used by Duvallon, which is grown in the famed Val de Travers. After sampling the wormwood and being satisfied with the quality I decided that I would be able to use that for the new batch of L'Ancienne.

I found it very interesting to make a batch of L'Ancienne with wormwood that was, in fact, even more similar to the one used in pre-ban absinthes (what we know now as Pontarlier wormwood is excellent but it does have a different profile than the wormwood used in the pre-ban samples I've tasted).

There was still the problem of the green anise. After testing a few samples from herbs suppliers, and not being happy with the flavor profile of the anise, I got a message from Martin that the usual green anise was back in stock.
So, with all the obstacles removed, I was finally able to fly to Czech Republic and distill what will be the 2014 année of L'Ancienne.

L'Ancienne 2014 is now resting and maturing, and will likely be ready around 6 months from now. I will keep tasting, as usual, and monitoring the development of the absinthe to make sure that it meets my quality standards, before bottling it for sale.

I also uploaded a few pics and my stress test louche video on the FB page here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Absinthe-LAncienne/181482615260491

Cheers :cheers: