Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Belle Époque......Cold Water or Room Temperature Water?

My preference is cool water from the Brita filter pitcher in the fridge. I must say I also enjoy using iced water from my fountain when I have frends over.

I'm in the "get the water as cold as possible" camp. If I miss a nuance or two that's okay with me. Drinking absinthe with room temperature water does not sit well with me.

In the fountain I give the ice water a pretty vigorous stir with a wooden spoon.

Edited by King_Stannis

I like the water to be as cold as possible - at first anyway. As it warms, I really enjoy how the flavor nuances open up. It's a great way to really enjoy all that the absinthe has to offer, in my opinion.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to freeze a carafe about a week ago. I filled it to about an inch under where the neck narrows out (about 1/2 way up the molded "emblem" in the center.) It was fairly thick, and seemed rather durable; until it started to thaw... I'm guessing that won't be happening again anytime soon. I'll just fill the new one with ice, top it with water, save a carafe, and continue sipping!

Edited by -TJ-