Sign in to follow this  
Père Ubu

Ceviche

I had a yummy plate of ceviche for lunch with co-workers and lamenting the lack of beer, when I thought that it might go well with a nicely louched up absinthe.

Anyhoo, as the son of a Peruvian mother, I've been eating ceviche all my life, and love it. Typically eaten within sight of the beach, or on it, and for adults, usualy served with beer. But a nicely louched up, and slightly iced, absinthe would sure make a decent option to the beer.

Hmm, I am meeting my folks at the beach in August, and I was planning on bringing a bottle of absinthe with me. Hmmmmm :g:

Edited by Miguel

I think it would be fantastic. I enjoy absinthe with sushi but it can overpower the delicate flavors. I don't think it would be a problem with ceviche.

I think it would be fantastic. I enjoy absinthe with sushi but it can overpower the delicate flavors. I don't think it would be a problem with ceviche.

True dat. specially the way my mom makes it. it looks like this: Ceviche_del_Perú.jpg

she used aji, which is quite strong, although in Lima I saw a lot using rocoto as pictured above. also very hot.

Edited by Miguel

My Acadian wife took to Peruvian cuisine quite readily. The seafood, hot spices, rice, smothered meats, and fresh fruits really appealed to her.

Well, considering how well Pernod goes with seafood (and has been a CLASSIC go-to for chefs for decades), I think you're dead on.

In fact, I know you are, cuz ive done it before! I tend to use it After I use my acid.

Of course, always realize what fish you are working with, how delicate it can be, and how STRONG absinthe favors can come out. A little goes a loooong way.

Seafood, and chocolate, are two of absinthe's best friends. ;)

My Acadian wife took to Peruvian cuisine quite readily. The seafood, hot spices, rice, smothered meats, and fresh fruits really appealed to her.

Who doesnt that appeal to, ;)

Ages ago, my first serious girlfriend and her Mom, Acadians both, took my Greek-Italian cooking background, and merged 'em all. My friends are pretty happy with the results, :)

Oh, just your standard preparation, really.

I put my mojo in it then stuffed it into a body bag. :shock:

:secret2:

Your mojo!? :shock: Have you been reading the Worst Cocktail thread? :laf:

Leg of lamb? The mention of it makes me go all Homer on that.

Lamb, mmmmmmmmmm. :dribble:

Edited by Miguel

Absinthe goes very well with ceviche, in my experience, even with my favored recipe of a ceviche made with scallops instead of fish.

Your mojo!? :shock: Have you been reading the Worst Cocktail thread? :laf:

Leg of lamb? The mention of it makes me go all Homer on that.

Lamb, mmmmmmmmmm. :dribble:

Mmmm, now I want big joints of lamb, wrapped in thick bands of fat...

And served with a side of The Cyclops' cheese.