precenphix

Absinthe in Body of Proof

Someone can correct me if this isn't how it went down, as I was flipping back and forth between world news events and this show at the same time.

In last night's episode of Body of Proof **potential spoiler alert**, some hair was found at a crime scene that was determined to be over 100 years old. Chemical analysis revealed that the hair was from an opium user (laudanum) and someone who abused alcohol (specifically absinthe) among other things.

Is it even bloody possible to extract exactly what kind of spirit a person liked to drink out of their hair 100+ years down the pike?

I belive the answer is yes. I read somewhere that with today's technology they can even tell what brand of cigarettes you smoke and about how many a day just from a single hair sample.

I know that scientists can discover what people eat from isotopes found in human remains and from there can identify within a fairly small area where food containing those isotopes would have been located. It's certainly possible these things could have been determined from a much more recent sample. :tongue:

Looking at the hair on this person, I'd say he/she drank so much absinthe that they ended up looking like a dog.

Bow-wow-wow-yippee-yo-yippee-yay.

I understand the general “wow” factor behind forensic science, but for some reason I thought the time element for the hair -- which I failed to mention was floating in a heavily chlorinated pool for some time until it was found -- might play a role in the degradation of any biochemical evidence held within.

*wince* Yeah...that...yeah. Probably not accurate then. :dead:

Looks like that guy was just in need of a good louche. *puts on the David Caruso glasses* B)

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Just re-read my post. Holy auto-correct, Batman.

Sorry Mat, that's another tv reference. :biggrin:

Edited by Ambear

[reminds self to get T.V. someday]

I'd rather not have one but I'm not in charge where I live.

It's a team effort. She tells me what, where, when and how to do things and I make an effort.

When bog bodies were found in Ireland, scientists were able to test their hair to determine dietary habits. Pretty fascinating stuff if you ask me.

It's a team effort. She tells me what, where, when and how to do things and I make an effort.

You too, huh? Thankfully she said yes to more Pacifique. :)

[reminds self to get T.V. someday]
TeeVeeFree and Proud! Well, we have TVs but no programing.

When bog bodies were found in Ireland,
Damn Irish Bog Tourists. B)

I'm with you on the no TV. We're over two years broadcast tv free. We have a television for renting movies and we have a wii, but my kids aren't nearly as zombie as they had been.

My girlfriend and I "lost" the tv in the move last summer and haven't been happier since. Our place is so small that our laptops are like watching a film in back row (aka the make-out corner) of a theater. What amuses me to no end is that we get offered a free tv from someone in our families about once every few months.

Bill does have big ellipsis. Compensation for the absinthe thimbles.

I wouldn't mind "losing" our tv, but the kids wouldn't be very happy with me.

I'm not buyin' it. While much can be deduced from remains, I'm inclined to believe they threw in the absinthe for dramatic purposes.

When bog bodies were found in Ireland, scientists were able to test their hair to determine dietary habits. Pretty fascinating stuff if you ask me.

From what I recall of bog body studies, they determined this from stomach contents, primarily burnt pancakes. Seriously.

They were able to learn a lot from Otzi by looking in his guts as well. Looks like he had some whipworm, too bad the poor bastid didn't have any absinthe on him, but in the cold it probably wouldn't have been any good anyway.

I don't know if they did any on him, but there's some interesting forensic palynology out there as well. For such small particles, a hell of a lot can be learned from them. Reminds me of something Joe posted earlier about feeling small and worthless. ;)

...they threw in the absinthe for dramatic purposes.

Dun dun dun!

Butt only for dramatic effect. ;)

Bum, bum, bum!

I'll be here most of the night folks, oh, and try the verte.

determined this from stomach contents, primarily burnt pancakes. Seriously.

They'll find a burnt weenie sandwich and stale chips in mine.

:laugh:

...didn't they find semen in Otzi's rear area.......?? :shock:

This from a man with the nom de guerre "rammer".

I'm not buyin' it. While much can be deduced from remains, I'm inclined to believe they threw in the absinthe for dramatic purposes.

Noooo. Couldn't be.

Bum, bum, bum!

I am ashamed at the coffee spit-take that just occurred.

Bum, bum, bum!

I am ashamed at the coffee spit-take that just occurred.

I must agree, that was an inspired bit of repartee.

:laf:

From what I recall of bog body studies, they determined this from stomach contents, primarily burnt pancakes. Seriously.

Stomach contents would tell you the last thing(s) they ate, but not their diet as a whole. I'm pretty sure they used hair as a tool for helping to determine that.

Our hair in this day and age shows that we're mostly corn-fed. It can also be used to test for drug use. :police:

That said, I'm also inclined to believe the detection of absinthe was thrown in for dramatic effect. Even if the hair hadn't been soaking in chlorine, I'd still be surprised.

Edited by Phoenix