• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

Here's a great example of why one needs to be careful with buying antiques from unknown sources/Ebay. It is advertised as an absinthe topette... It looks like a topette at first glance, but if you notice the chambers do not get taller as they get higher and narrower. On a real chamber-style topette, the chambers are short and wide at the bottom, and get taller toward the top to make up for the smaller circumference, keeping the dose the same size throughout.

My thought was that this was an olive oil bottle. I ran it by Marc T. and he confirmed. This is one example of why you need to be careful!

Posted Image
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#2 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

good info, Scott. for amateurs like myself, we are always grateful for these types of tips.....

Edited by rammer, 20 April 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#3 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

Just looking around I saw a German website selling La Rochere Versailles glasses as Antique repros for the 'fire ritual' :thumbdown: , when La Rochere's own website says they are plain water glasses (of course you can drink whatever you want from it).
It could be La Rochere only calls their pontalier glass an absinthe glass, when they make at least another two that are regularly used as absinthe glasses, but in the case of the Versailles the sure called it a water glass.

Long story short, vendors will peddle any 'old looking' glassware as being made specifically for absinthe, even though the maker never intended to do so, like in the case of the olive oil bottle, and the water glass.

Edited to add last sentence.

Edited by Miguel, 20 April 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#4 z-a-a

z-a-a

• Gold Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yes, most edifying. I'd never heard of a topette before.

Thanks.
If you aren't having fun, you aren't doing it right.

#5 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Some of us learned the hard (expensive) way.

But it made us smarter faster. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#6 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,418 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

"bistrot Ancienne".

The L'Ancienne may also actually be quite recent, but I surely won't do it a disservice by watering it from an olive oil bottle. B)

Thanks, Scott, great info. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#7 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Scott, thanks for the info ! I am very happy that I bought one real one from you !!!

I purchased a few weeks ago a "modern thing".... it is basically a cylindrical shape, all regular, with the the same measurements..... it is not vintage, but it does measure correctly and it is also nice..... Is it the same name for this "modern glass" ?

thanks,

- Marcelo

#8 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

Hey MGS...you bought one of the last doubles I had. I was lucky enough to get a box of stuff somewhere with more than I could use, and was glad a few things found good homes. BTW, Topettes come in many shapes. If you go to the virtual absinthe museum, you can see a huge range of truly amazing stuff.

For the record, it is so important, and I'll say this again, to buy real absinthe pieces from people like Marc at the Musee boutique, or other dealers with trustworthy reputations. The online auction sites are often full of misinformation whether intentional or not. This is why I posted the photo of the oil bottle a few posts up. Literally every major piece I acquired was done through someone with an established reputation, and only minor common things were found elsewhere.

It's just way too easy to get taken, or buy something that is not genuine, even from an honest on-line auction seller who thinks what they have is real!

#9 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Unfortunately it's considered poor form here to post about live eBay auctions, but in the past I've been PM'd about the legitimacy of certain auctions and I don't mind.

P.S. The USD is currently doing very, very bad against the Euro. If you're a bargain hunter, now may not be the best time to be making overseas purchases.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#10 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

The USD is currently doing very, very bad against the Euro.

It's not winning the battle against my bills, either!

#11 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

FYI, that auction was over April 10th, which is why I chose it as an example. I agree it is bad form to post a live auction. Regarding the Euro to USD rate, you're certainly correct.

#12 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

My post wasn't directed at you Scott. It was just a tip and an offer to anyone interested.

The USD is currently doing very, very bad against the Euro.

It's not winning the battle against my bills, either!

I believe it. The USD isn't winning battles versus anything lately.

Edited by Phoenix, 21 April 2011 - 09:26 AM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#13 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

that is why I'm hoarding booze.

#14 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

living in europe at the moment, i don't know why the euro is so strong against the dollar.

the unemployment rate here is through the roof. the jobs that are available are garbage. they normally are contracts for 3 to 6 months with no benefits......

everyone is in debt up to their eye balls. city halls can't make payroll.

they opened an IKEA in Jerez last year. for 300 positions, they had 50,000 applications....

i think our own government is keeping the dollar weak to move exports....... either way it is hurting us big time for those of us that have to use the euro and get paid in dollars.............

i apologize if i derailed the thread a bit........

#15 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

Did I mention I'm hoarding booze? :tongue: or I was until my wife saw the bill. :nono:

As soon as I recover from the IRS, I might get some VC to keep Marc's bottles company. :cheers:

#16 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Can't Get Right

• Bronze Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

What about this one? Is there such thing as a "russian absinthe spoon"? And is this one?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4607d412ac

The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  

and the sad silent song, made the hour twice as long,

as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,418 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Of course there is.

Don't you know the Russians invented everything?

Don't believe me?

Just ask one, sometime.

Seriously, that spoon handle looks like a fantasy replacement, but it's certainly attractive.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#18 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

That looks to me like a tomato slice server.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association