Sign in to follow this  
Big Mike

Absinthe and cold relief

Hi guys, I have a horrible cough that leads to moments I can even catch my breath.

Last night I had a glass of Leopold and a glass of Marteau and was able to sleep through the night. I am doing the same tonight. I'll let you know if it works tomorrow.

By the way, I just got a bottle of Leopold batch #36... Tastes a little different from previous ones but still delightful.

That's not uncommon for a small batch to differ ever so slightly from a previous batch. There are too many reasons why this might occur but consider that the freshness of only one of the many herbs used could account for it. It is amazing.

Regarding your cold, remember that absinthe was a medicinal before it was a recreational drink. Anise and fennel have been used for centuries for a wide variety of ailments. A recent bout of flu sent Jules and I running for a heavy star anise extract which contains Shikimic acid, the primary source of Tamiflu.

"Absinthe. It's not just for fun anymore!"

I usually suffer from pretty bad allergies in the springtime. However, this I've been having a few glasses of absinthe in the evenings and so far no real issues with allergies. I've even been sitting outside during nice evenings while enjoying a glass. I think I'll continue to self medicate! :cheers:

It has salutory effects, you know.

You mean, it makes you smart?

Oh wait, that's salutatory.

Ah, salutary, I dig. :tongue:

Okay kids. Back on topic. :police: (I do like the G.I Ron action figure. He deserves his own thread.)

We've had people purchase absinthe because they have been told it is helpful for Crohn's disease. Most people who contact us for this reason are non-spirit drinkers. Feedback has been overwhelming positive. It makes sense really. Pick up a box of Gypsy Cold Care and you'll see hyssop. Throat Coat has fennel. Absinthe is packed full of healing herbs. Herbs that have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties to name just a few. I'm smitten with the stuff.

Luscious Oily Lesbians! @ the Lt. Louche thing... :laugh:

As far as Norwegian history goes, adding spices to spirit for medicinal purpouses was where it all began. Hence our national drink, Akevit (from Aqua DeVita)... which tastes like shit, Luscious Oily Lesbians!.

Maybe indications of medicinal uses could be printed on the back of Absinthe labels... I mean, why not. Absinthe Rx!

I don't know about any other country but our gub'mint officials would totally freak out at the suggestion that a medical benefit might be had by swilling any hooch. Totally a no-no here!

But it's a damn funny thought! :laugh:

I don't know about any other country but our gub'mint officials would totally freak out at the suggestion that a medical benefit might be had by swilling any hooch. Totally a no-no here!

Perhaps, but compared to the same claims being made for medical marijuana, I think they might lean towards the absinthe. ;)