119 replies to this topic

#91 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

It's as good as any. :)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#92 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well folks, it's finally out!  I'm so happy it's done, and am very proud of it.  Were it not for WS, I never would have fallen in love with absinthe, and met the people who carried me on this journey... that bottle of Grande Absente would've been my last...

Here's the first on-line store, Amazon and Barnes & Noble will come within a couple months.  It also will be available through Drink-Up NY, Catskill Cellars, Absinthes.com, LDF, and Absinthe Devil.

Here's the store link, and info/previews can be seen at absintheantiques.net

http://www.buybookso...N=0-7414-6375-X

Cheers!  -Scott

Edited by Scott M., 11 March 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#93 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Major congrats, Scott! :clap:  :b-day:  :cheers: 

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#94 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Congrats Scott! 

:thumbup: :groupwave reversed: :cheers:

#95 InAbsinthia

InAbsinthia

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Looks beautiful!  :cheerz:​ 

all the green children pine for you
they learned all your secrets and made up your mind for you
although they were unkind to you
all the green children pine for you.
-- Winterpills, "a benediction"

#96 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Nice work - congratulations!

#97 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Congrats! I'll definitely try to buy it from your suggested retailer.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#98 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the support guys.  The smartest, coolest and most creative folks I've come to know are in the absinthe world, and my life is better for it.  :cheers:

#99 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

Reviewed here.

Highly recommended.

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#100 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

I could not answer on your blog, but here is a quick remark

Since it's a book about antiques, it might have been interesting to have told the reader how much the items shown actually cost (or maybe a range of costs). That would have made it an even more useful reference work, although I know it is not always easy to put an accurate value on antiques.

Errr... well... No, Alan. What is true today of the price of an antique could be wrong by tomorrow.

There are many things that can alter it : as all collectibles, many prices vary in terms of offer and demand.

Some samples : at the time Marie Claude Delahaye's "les cuilleres" was published, several "semi d'étoile et de trèfles" were seen as rare, and were therefore pricey. Ebay changed a lot of that. Now you can grab a handful of them for a few euros.

Besides, sometimes an object may be rare for a time, and then a bunch of them big enough to content all collectors will go out, and the price will drop (Maison Arthaud, and the sterling silver grille for example)

Sometimes, like for the "amourette" "brouilleur", you discover that an object was never an absinthe related antique at all (in that case it was a holder for a fuse used to seal a pot and the price went from several tens of € to 0).

And some items have no price. Such is the case for the unique pieces. But it stands true for some spoons. For example the feuille 1 : 4 of them went out of the wood recently, and while the first started around 1000, the last was at 1400, almost the double of the price I paid mine, on the same auctions site.

What is still true is that you can have a full service for the price of the modern things. But you can't ask for too much in that case :)

And for all of you who want a full service for 60/80€ (two torsades and two matching spoons), there is a post for that :)

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#101 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Clément, your points above are true regarding absinthe antiques.  In Alan's blog, he had the foresight however, to ask me how I felt about his thoughts on values not being in the book; in fact, it is addressed right after the section you quoted.  I explained that I prefer to focus on the beauty and history of the pieces, not their value. The truth is, I love them too much to turn them into commodities, and felt honoring them meant NOT discussing what they are worth.  Someone else can do that if they feel the need.   Some people may think about this aspect, and Alan's thoughts and my reply, presented a layer of information that would have been lacking, had he not asked me!  

Looking forward to seeing you in July my friend!   Alan, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your time and generosity, in reviewing my book.

I'm very pleased that you "got" where I was coming from, and enjoyed my work!

#102 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

True enough, I should have quoted your answer too, sorry for that.

And indeed, as I have stated about the first version, your book is a lover's book, not one for collectors :) MCD's book about the spoons is a collectors' one for anyone who would like to compare, and they definitely not have the same hum feeling emanating.

Way better to have your book rather than "all you can get for the price" on antiques markets : old basic items are just what they are, that is, tools. Gosh, my mother as a child used her grandmother's spoons for gardening as a kid. What you propose is showing "treasures" (I chose the word for it's broad semantic aspect) under their best aspects.

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#103 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

I got mine!

It is a very beautiful book.  Nice work, Scott.

#104 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Joe, that means a lot to me.

#105 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

It now has a fitting place on the Wall of Fame in the Vilya Spirits distillery, just under the Great American Absinthe Festival poster. :thumbup:

#106 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'm very pleased to announce that the book is available through Catskill Cellars, Absinthe Devil, DUNY, and Absinthes.com! This support means so much to me. LDF will be carrying it in July, as will Luc at Verte D'Absinthe. It feels good to be done! I'm asking folks in the USA to order from the US sites, so those in Europe can order from the vendors in Europe.

This would never had happened had I not stumbled onto WS, and continued my journey by exploring deeper.

#107 ilovesharinfoo

ilovesharinfoo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've had a copy on order through Amazon now. I'm tired of waiting! I think I may have to try one of these other places to get it faster. I almost wore out my first edition Scott! Looking forward to seeing the new one. 

#108 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Amazon can take a few days, to 2-3 weeks. Sometimes they are out of stock, and have to wait for new books from the publisher.
I suggest "buy books on the web", or the wonderful vendors like Catskill Cellars, DUNY, or Absinthe Devil!
THEY have them in stock. Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot to me! Amazon also has been known to use their own printer, with cheaper paper...this is one reason they can discount so much. The other vendors on my site get directly from the publisher, on the paper I selected.

#109 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

So Amazon puts the book together themselves? Hmm. Did not realize they could do such a thing.

Is the book cover also different from Amazon?

Edited by greytail, 18 July 2013 - 06:13 AM.

Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#110 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

Amazon and Barnes & Noble often use a company called Lightning Source for their printing.  They are a huge company, and they have the same file as the publisher, to create the books.  The books look the same, and have the same nice covers, but use only a 60 pound gloss paper for the interior, rather than the 80 pound satin paper I chose. It is the way Amazon and B&N can have discounted prices.  It's a double-edged sword, as it makes books more available to others, internationally.  The vast majority of books are printed on 60 lb paper anyway, so it is not an issue for most authors.  My book is an exception, as my publisher honors my paper choice when they do the printing.  THESE books, on the better paper, are the ones available through all the absinthe vendors, including Absinthes.com and LDF, as well as the ones I mentioned earlier! BuyBooksOnTheWeb.com is the publisher's store, and also uses the better paper.

Considering the book has over 300 photos, the better paper is worth it, as they look so much nicer!  I'm convinced Amazon is trying to kill publishing of trad books, as they undercut all the publishers in this manner.

Edited by Scott M., 18 July 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#111 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

I agree. I like good paper with a photo journal like book for sure.

#112 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well, damn... I wish I had found this thread earlier. I have a copy coming through Amazon, it will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it's the proper paper.

I agree that paper choice is an important factor. I wrote a book about watches that is very lavishly illustrated, I insisted on top quality heavy paper stock. But there's no print-on-demand; I did 3,000 copies and I handle storage and fulfillment myself. That said, I sell through Amazon under their "Advantage" program: they warehouse copies arouind the country so they are available for immediate shipment, but they only pay me after sale, and they take a huge cut..... But I accept it because they have a much broader reach than I do, and it is still profitable.

I am very eagerly looking forward to receiving the Absinthe Antiques book and will report back when I have it in hand.

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#113 ilovesharinfoo

ilovesharinfoo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

I had no idea Amazon could do that! And I would rather have the heavier, satin paper. I am canceling that order pronto and ordering from Buy Books on the Web. Thanks for the tip Scott!! I can't wait to get it!

#114 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

My copy arrived today, and it has the nice satin paper that really makes those photos pop.

But there’s a serious problem. This book is going to end up costing me a lot of money. Everything in it is simply too wonderful for words. Back up a truck, I want one of each. Or more.... That’s the problem of having a collector’s mentality. I’ve already been picking up some original absinthiana to use in place of repros, but now I can see so much more that I don’t think I can live without.

So, a one word book review: WOW!

A longer review: this is clearly a labor of love, and also of great talent. The pictures are great. I feel like framing them.

I’ve only had a chance to flip through it so I can’t really review it in detail yet, but you can be sure I will be seriously reading it from cover to cover this weekend. I can hardly wait. And you can also be sure that this one will live on my coffee table. It is a book that I know I will be picking up often just to flip randomly through the pages for the sheer enjoyment of admiring the fascinating objects and superb photos.

Well done, Scott!

"A glass of absinthe is as poetical as anything in the world. What difference is there between a glass of absinthe and a sunset?" -- (attributed to Oscar Wilde)

#115 ilovesharinfoo

ilovesharinfoo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Well, after placing my second order, I went to cancel the one I already had in with Amazon.. but it had already shipped THAT VERY DAY! So, it arrived first and I was anxious to see it, so I opened it up anyway. It was on the glossier paper and the spine completely fell apart after looking through it one single time. I couldn't believe it. The corner was smashed too. I was going to return it anyway though, so it really didn't matter. Today the second one arrived from Buy Books on the Web. It is perfect, has the nicer satin paper, and most importantly, the spine is glued properly! Scott, you have outdone yourself! Your collection was extremely nice before, but it has gone to a whole other level now! I am extremely impressed. There is a lot of excellent information in there as well. The two are integrated very nicely. I hope you do a third edition down the road  :thumbup:  

#116 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thanks, and I'm sorry you had problems with the book from Amazon. Clearly their packing, and the smashed corner did something to the spine. I like the satin paper more as well, that is printed by the publisher. I know you are a collector as well, and love the pieces for their beauty, as much as I do. Your support means so much, and it would be great to have you here one day for a glass or two if you're ever in NY.

There will be no future versions of this book...this is it! I'm on to other things, and focusing my energy exclusively on family, friends and my guitar making biz.... Oh yeah, that's called life! The journey of researching, finding, and learning about these pieces has enriched my life so much, and I've made so many new, good friends... I expect this benefit will continue, including you one day, in real life!

Thanks to all of you who were part of this project, from people like Marc, Peter, and Clément, to my friends who just wanted to hang out quietly and have a glass or two. This last option will always be open for anyone here, who wants to pop by.

Cheers.

Edited by Scott M., 27 July 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#117 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Sorry We could not meet up this summer. I need to get a copy if the book still.

#118 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Ok guys, some good news!  As you could see from Ilovesharonfoo's post above, Amazon had a run of books where some had issues with the binding.  In the last few weeks, I've worked closely with the publisher to make certain that all books, from now on, will be coming from the printer I selected, with the bonus of the book's pages being hand-sewn before the cover is placed on.  The printer charges a nominal fee for this, so the book is now $5 more than it was, but I am very happy with the results; it looks just the way I wanted, and surpasses the quality of most paperbacks, due to the stitching.  I really appreciated hearing from a couple of you, who bought it on Amazon.  Knowing about the old printer's bad gluing on some, allowed me to nip things in the bud, and ensure a great quality from now on.  As far as the books on the sites of our vendor friends in the absinthe world, they all tell me everything is fine with their copies as well.  I of course, am always here, if one of you who has a book from the run in question has an issue. Say the word, and I'll have the publisher get you another copy. Here's the new listing on Amazon, and thanks!

Mostly, I was simply so sorry that a couple of you were inconvenienced by this.  Any of you who've ever done a project that depends on others will know, that sometimes there are bugs.   We fixed this one, and the book is better for it.    

Thanks again,  Scott

http://www.amazon.co...ords=074149843x

Edited by Scott M., 05 September 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#119 JosephLabrecque

JosephLabrecque

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

My review of "Absinthe Antiques: A collection from la Belle Époque" => http://inflagrantede...a-belle-epoque/

"Throughout this work – there is evident a great respect for traditions surrounding the spirit and a desire to honor and continue such traditions to this day. Whether employing true antiques or faithful reproductions in preparing the fine absinthes being produced in or current era… this book will instill a true sense of history and appreciation for both the absinthes of our glorious past and of her present and ongoing renewal."

Such a great resource, Scott! 

#120 Georges Meliès

Georges Meliès

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Very well-written review of a truly fine book, Joseph.

It sounds like a cliché but it's true: hardly a day goes by that I don't leaf through my copy and marvel at the lovely photos of wonderful objects. (The book has a permanent spot on my coffee table, so my guests invariably enjoy it too.)

Scott has inadvertently become an 'enabler' in my own obsession to collect absinthe antiques. ;)  Not that I'm complaining!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association