119 replies to this topic

#61 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info, Scott. I wasn't sure how the book business worked. Maybe our paths will cross some day. Until then, I wish you well. :)
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#62 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

I received my copy of this book and I must say... Pretty well done Scott.

Far from being the pretentious book of an "old collector" with a great many pieces he wants to brag about, this book, which would be qualified in French as "beau livre" (ie the category of photo books for example) focuses on setups of fine pieces, and fine pieces, Scott has a few.

Takes less room than an actual collection, and overall prettier ;) (you don't want to see the parts of collections where one would "discard" the most common things :p )
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#63 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Very kind Clément, thank you! You understand what I was going for, and that means a lot to me.
I love the rarer pieces I was fortunate enough to find, but it is the common antiques where most magic lives. The spoons and glasses that working people used in bistros...the spoon vase they reached into, the
carafe they poured from, the metal plaque on the wall advertising their favorite brand, that so many would have stared at because of the pretty girl in the mountain scene. These are the pieces that were used by the masses, where the most wonderful part of absinthe's history lives for me.

It was my way of sharing the diversity in design, and elegance of these pieces (even the more common ones), and the magic of this era, while at the same time showing those new to absinthe some of its history visually. I hope to see you in Pontarlier in Oct!

:cheers:

#64 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

I should have your book in my hands next week. I'm looking forward to it.

Pontarlier is out for me this October. Pesky family things. :3869-sadbanana:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#65 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,732 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Same here. Damn wedding (not mine).

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#66 painted bottle

painted bottle

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

The photographs are beautiful.
Looks like a labor of love.
edited for grammar, forgotten thoughts and references.

#67 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

I thought I'd let foilks know it became available today at Barnes & Noble, which ships for free. Also, they ship internationally, for a very low rate. Thanks to those of you who've supported me on this project! :heart:

Barnes & Noble book page

#68 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for sending me a copy Scott. Great pics!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#69 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

It was the least I could do Brian, after all, you saw an early proof, and shared some important thoughts that helped me do a better job. :cheers:

#70 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:19 AM

Hey guys, I got a PM from one of you this morning about their order of my book from Borders.com.
It seems Borders is and not fulfilling them! My publisher has not received any orders from them, despite my knowing of several! :thumbdown:

If you've ordered through them, I suggest getting a full refund. Amazon, and Barnes & Nobel are shipping quickly. You can also get it directly from my publisher's on-line store, where I make a better royalty, which helps me donate a bit more back to the WS. This is at: Buy Books on the Web

It's also at DUNY and Absinthe Devil. Sorry for any trouble with Borders. I'm shocked that they would do this, but I was told they are in bad financial shape.

Best, Scott

#71 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

Request that refund quickly. They go to bankruptcy liquidation on Tuesday, I believe.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#72 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

I reckon that explains a few things I had questions about. <shrug>
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#73 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:47 AM

Request that refund quickly.

It shouldn't be a problem. Borders doesn't charge your credit card until they ship. Still, better safe than sad.

#74 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

If any of you were charged before Borders went belly-up, please let me know!
Thankfully, the other three on-line vendors are doing what they are supposed to!
I just found out however, that Barnes & Noble uses their own printing company, Lightning Source for all the books they sell! The only difference being, they print on 70 pound satin stock, rather than the 100 pound satin stock used by my publisher's printer. If you want the deluxe heavy paper, use BuyBooksOnTheWeb or Amazon!

It amazes me what big companies like Barnes & Noble do to save money at the expense of the reader and author!

#75 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Well Scott that sucks about B&N, they cheap out on what they sell and their books are rarely a bargain price wise.

#76 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Nice Job. Hope it does well. :cheers:
If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#77 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

I thought I'd let you guys know that Barnes & Noble released my Absinthe Antiques book for Nook, Ipad, and other devices today. I'm still new to the whole e-book thing, and prefer the weight of a book, and the feel of paper in my fingers, but it seems to be catching on.

Barnes& Noble page

#78 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi everyone, I shared this with a couple folks here last week privately, but need to tell everyone.
I am letting people know that for now, I do not want people buying the book! My publisher will likely be taking it out of circulation, at my request. They owned their own printing facility, which flooded. The result is that their new printer is simply not living up to my standards with their hardcover binding. I am very upset about this, but cannot endorse something not up to my standards.

It happened at the worst of times, as I'm finally back to work in the guitar shop after my injury, but they have a solution I am very pleased to share:

They have offered as an apology to publish a revised edition in 2013. It will be a high-quality paperback, that will be about 200 pages long, with twice the pieces and content. It gives me almost a year to put it together in its final form. It will feature art, postcards, vintage bottles, and some very interesting unique items. It will sell for less than the current book, and be of a quality I can endorse.

Just sharing, so newbies here don't spend their money on something that is not up to snuff. I will be very proud of the revision, and will keep people posted when the time comes.

Best, Scott

#79 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I, for one, proudly salute you kind sir.

I do sincerely hope to see the new book, and as already stated by email, will try to do my share to help you if possible
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#80 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

2x what Clement said!

#81 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Congrats on the expanded edition, Scott, I'm sure it'll be awesome. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#82 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'm sorry to hear about all of the difficulties associated with the first edition, but I'm glad to hear that you'll be able to produce a new edition that is so significantly expanded. Keep us up to date on how it goes, and good luck being able to pick and choose which photos go in the book! I imagine that might be the hardest task of all.

#83 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

All's going as planned. I FINALLY received the new Library of Congress control number, and it's all done, except for the photos I'm shooting in 5 weeks at the Pontarlier museum. Here's a re-worked shot I wanted to share with you all, it evokes a mood I try to create here regularly in the land of LI; a mood much needed in this over-crowded bottle-necked mosh-pit of humanity. Why did I just think of Montana and sigh? It seems we're looking at 210 pages or so, and a pub. date of Feb 2013, if all stays on track. Cheers!

Posted Image

#84 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Ooooos and Ahhhhh's :euro:

#85 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

What Louchey said!

#86 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Nice Scott!!!
You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#87 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

Today I finished a novel by a young new writer, Brian Martinez, who up until now has been self published. I believe he just got a contract to have one of his books made into a film. Anyway, the book I was reading, A Chemical Fire, is a post-apocalyptic thing jam-packed with zombies and gore but done in a most unusual way and extremely well-written. I know that sounds unlikely but it's true. The last two chapters are titled, "Wormwood" and "Lucid." I assume the guy is an absinthe drinker, and I've sent him an email to ask.

Last time I wrote to him he answered quite quickly, but that was before he got this movie deal. In case anyone is interested, his work is available on Amazon and Smashwords, free or cheap. I actually preferred the other book I read of his called The Mountain and the City, a serialized novel which I think is only available electronically in five parts. First part is free, the others are 99 cents. If you like this kind of stuff, I highly recommend him. The stories, though zombie-infused, are superbly written.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#88 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Zombie-infused... that explains what greytail's been drinking.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#89 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Rum? :pirate:

#90 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Oops, sorry looks like I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry!
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association