• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Hi WS friends, my new book Absinthe Antiques: A collection from la Belle Époque is finally up for sale! I have created a dedicated website with all the info. It is hardcover with a dust jacket, 105 pages, heavy 100 pound satin paper. A portion of any royalties will be donated to the WS, it's the least I can do. I would not have this new passion were it not for you guys!

I'd like to thank all of you who helped me with things during this process.

FYI- The other thread I started last month will be merged with this new one, I asked Joe in advance, so don't beat me up!

Thanks again, Scott

Book's website

Posted Image

********************************************************************************

Hi guys, I'm announcing some exciting news, my new book will be out in the next 4-6 weeks. I was planning on waiting for it to be out to announce it, but a few here have made references to it, so I figured I’d simply announce it now.

The title is
Absinthe Antiques
A collection from la Belle Epoque

It is 103 pages, featuring photos of a wide range of absinthe antiques and various related items. Hardcover, 100 pound satin paper, with a photo dust jacket. Though fairly new to the world of absinthe, it has become a very important thing to me, and my lifelong love of antiques seemed to go well with my new love of absinthe. This book grew out of this combination.

Thanks to those of you who let me run a thought or two past you, took a look as it while being written, shared your thoughts, and helped me hunt down some of these pieces. (You are all thanked in the book). This is my way of honoring something I love, and sharing it with people. Celebrating the beauty of these elegant pieces is important. Hopefully, it will motivate others to explore absinthe and its wonderful, artful world.

I will be contributing a portion of whatever royalties I manage to make to the WS as a thank you, and to show my appreciation. Without WS, the world of absinthe would never have become part of my life. Thanks for that!

When the book is up online at Borders, Amazon, Barnes and Nobel, and others, I’ll post the links! You will also be able to order it in any bookstore.

All the best, Scott

Posted Image

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

Beautiful cover, Scott! :cheers:

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,636 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Indeed.

Indeed, I'm really looking forward to upgrading my absinthe tome collection with this one! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

Beautiful cover.

Seconded!

:cheers:

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#5 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

Well done Scott! :thumbup:
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Good luck with the book!

Any estimates on price?
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#7 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:03 AM

Thanks guys, the second proof will be here this week, and if everything is looking right, it will go up within a couple weeks. If it needs a tweak or two, 4 weeks or so. The publisher is thinking the price will be in the $45 to $47 range. Here's a couple sample spreads, to give you an idea of design, theme and content.
Many of the pieces, BTW, are shown actual-size or larger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:39 AM

So you aren't self publishing anymore? Think they'd be interested in publishing a revamped version of the journal? ;)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

Hey Brian, I went with Infinity Publishing, which owns their own printing and binding facility in PA. None of the "I wonder where THIS one was printed" quality-control issues. They have hands-on author reps that answer the phone, and spend all the time you need with you. I even got the graphics guy and press operator on the phone when I needed to! They are a step up from "print-on-demand" self-publishing companies, and offer marketing support, etc...They also stock the books, so orders ship right away. A pretty good company, and quality all the way. They are a nice hybrid indie company that is a perfect blend between other self publishing companies and a larger trad publishing house. I'd describe them as a more cozy and friendly version of I Universe or Author House.

I think the Journal is fine just the way it is BTW! I'm using mine regularly, and it is an easy way to share your thoughts with friends at tasty parties.

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:20 AM

Cool!
I enjoy reading about the history of these things. Where they were used and the craftsmen behind the scenes turning out such lovely pieces. Good research. Does it have a list of hallmarks and neat stuff like that? I'd like to learn more about the pieces I have. Perhaps this will help.

It has a very attractive cover. :thumbup:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#11 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

Thanks Bill, I avoided the history part, as there are books out there that have that info already.
M. Delahaye did a great job with hallmarks and such, and I felt no need to essentially copy someone else's research...The same goes with Oxy's wonderful book. it would not have been respectful to borrow or repeat info as these folks worked so hard to uncover and define these things. As someone new to this, I didn't want to come off as someone posing as an expert on things!

This book is simply a pretty photo book, that celebrates the romance of these pieces. There are brief descriptions of what the items are, and how they were used, with a smidgen of history and facts thrown in. There's a lot of cool things in there that we here in the USA don't get to see often. There's also a chapter where I created some nice still lifes of absinthe antiques and other antiques, often with an ironic or fun connection between them. This book is for people who enjoy seeing nice photos of absinthe gear, want to know some of the basics about what is what, and for antique fans who are curious about it. I also saw it as a way to get newbies and curious people more involved in the world of absinthe!

:cheers:

#12 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Very impressive! :cheers:

#13 Sneezy Badger

Sneezy Badger

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Good work Scott - it looks amazing!

As soon as it's available online, I will try to get hold of a copy.

#14 This Mortal Coil

This Mortal Coil

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Congrats :thumbup: ....what a delightful book this seems to be. Looking forward to get my hands on a copy !
Light Shining Darkly

#15 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

Another time : congratulations Scott :) Way to honour our passion !
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#16 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

When is your book coming out, Clement? :laugh:
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#17 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:11 AM

I am but an humble collector. Nothing to write a book about :)

#18 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:28 AM

I want to be a humble collector one day myself. I still enjoy the calendars though.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#19 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:43 AM

Clément, you are a friend and a gentleman. Thanks so much for your friendly guidance and advice during the making of the book, and for taking the time to look at it in progress! (And for the monster topette)! Though I know my modest collection pales in comparison to some, as you know, it is about enjoying the beauty of the pieces and sharing! :)

#20 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

Then again, there is "possessing" and "know how to illustrate the beauty" of ancient pieces. I do think you did quite the fine job in the later.

For the rest, you are, off course, very welcome, as I am also flattered for having been part, little as it was, to this project.

#21 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm really looking forward to upgrading my absinthe tome collection with this one! :cheers:

Or starting one :cheers:
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#22 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

congratulations, Scott ! Wow, some famous people are hanging out here...... :thumbup:

- mgs

#23 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

Yup...occasionally they post here too! :tongue:

#24 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

Then again, there is "possessing" and "know how to illustrate the beauty" of ancient pieces.

I totally agree. I think quality professional photography is really what makes the difference between pictures being fit for a facebook/flickr album or pictures being fit for a book. :cheers:

Edited by Phoenix, 21 February 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#25 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Cheers on being in the home stretch, Scott! :cheers:

#26 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

I was jazzed for this a while ago when you brought it to my attention and now I'm even more jazzed at the prospect of it being even closer to reaching completion.

A heartfelt congratulations. Well done! :cheers:
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#27 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hey friends, I had to stop the printing last week! It WOULD have been for sale NEXT week, but
through the trust, and kindness of a certain WS member, a VERY VERY special piece is making it into the collection, and thusly, the book. This piece is perhaps the rarest and finest in the book, so there simply was no choice in putting things on hold for a few weeks to include it! My publisher isn't thrilled, but c'est la vie. My next update will be the link with where it's available!

Thanks friend, you know who you are. Sharing these amazing works of art is the whole point of my book, so I can't tell you how pleased I am about this!
:)

Best, Scott

#28 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know about this VERY VERY secret piece. :tongue:

#29 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,305 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

<Snip> <New Thread> <End Snip>

Hi WS friends, my new book Absinthe Antiques: A collection from la Belle Époque is finally up for sale! I have created a dedicated website with all the info. It is hardcover with a dust jacket, 105 pages, heavy 100 pound satin paper. A portion of any royalties will be donated to the WS, it's the least I can do. I would not have this new passion were it not for you guys!

I'd like to thank all of you who helped me with things during this process.

FYI- The other thread I started last month will be merged with this new one, I asked Joe in advance, so don't beat me up!

Thanks again, Scott

Book's website

Posted Image

#30 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,636 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hearty congratulations, Scott! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association