Sign in to follow this  
Stroller

Tarragona

Rammer, there may be some listed at Oxy's site, finestandrarest.

I'm probably mistaken but the story I remember is that when the ban happened in France, PF moved to Spain where it was never banned. The recipe may have gone through some changes though.

Some of the Tarragona can be less expensive than pre-ban PF. Actually most I've seen are within reach of more folks wanting vintage absinthe. Check it out. :)

Sorry about the no link thing but I struggle with links like Attack Accountant struggles with quotes. ;)

Better with sugar I think.

I have yet to try an absinthe that I think benefits (overall) from the addition of sugar (texture, yes, but not flavor), although La Grenouille is close.

Haven't tasted any Tarragona, though.

I'm probably mistaken but the story I remember is that when the ban happened in France, PF moved to Spain where it was never banned. The recipe may have gone through some changes though...

...Sorry about the no link thing but I struggle with links like Attack Accountant struggles with quotes. ;)

thank you, bill...........

Edited by rammer

I'm probably mistaken but the story I remember is that when the ban happened in France, PF moved to Spain where it was never banned. The recipe may have gone through some changes though.

Some of the Tarragona can be less expensive than pre-ban PF. Actually most I've seen are within reach of more folks wanting vintage absinthe. Check it out. :)

Sorry about the no link thing but I struggle with links like Attack Accountant struggles with quotes. ;)

Bill is correct here. Tarragona was the closest sub to 'the real thing' one could get after WWI, and remained so for quite some time. A side note, but one I think is important (as well as sorta cool). When you read of Hemingway (and others) drinking absinthe in the 30's and 40's, it was almost always tarragona. In at least 2 stories of his, he is wonderful enough to make a clear distinction, with a character specifying that the barmen bring him 'the real thing, and not that tarragona'. He knew and understood the difference, and 'the real thing' he (or the character) was calling for was, presumably, pre-ban. Before WW2, pre-ban absinthe was much more readily available still, logically due to supplies simply being drunk/lost/broken.

Always remember that every ounce of pre-ban you/we drink, is one that is gone forever, from a finite and limited supply.

BUT... also remember this nugget that Pere Verte once told me, while we sipped some pre-ban. "Well... better you than someone else, right?" Wise words, :) .

Yup...if there is indeed some quantum, cellular-memory, timeless, human 4th dimension mojo at play in the universe, we can consider drinking pre-ban our way of sharing it with those who couldn't for so long!

Ah, the sacrifices we make for our brothers and sisters......

With sugar, definitely with sugar. Had a glass last night, the thing is too wonderfully bitter and powerful not to be sugared a bit to tone it down, would be too harsh for my palate otherwise.

But then again, there is sugar and sugar... I've found a very good one thanks to Luc from Vert d'Absinthe :)