Brian Robinson

Modern Drunkard

I couldn't get into it. I read a couple paragraphs. I guess I just prefer non-fiction. My loss.

What an extraordinary piece of crap.

And yet, somehow, I'm sure this guy is convinced that he's now imbued with the spirit and writing talent of Hemingway, although it read more like a very amateurish, pallid Kerouac ripoff.*

*No comment necessary on the relevance of the content, of course.

Does anyone speak with that manner of whip-crack repartee anymore?

Most certainly not, especially if drinking KOSG, you human paraquat!

I can only conclude that thujone must stimulate the memory centers.

I can only conclude deduce that thujone must stimulate the memory centers make you trip ballz.

Wow. Literary genus, Brian. Thanks for stumbling onto that one.

I crunched a few numbers (*work shown below) and determined that this fool drank the equivalent of 26.448 drinks in one night. But he claims his experience couldn't be due to alcohol intoxication. Not a believable statement.

Clearly his experience was a combination of extreme intoxication, the high cost of the product, (Research shows that if something costs us a lot we are motivated to maintain a positive attitude toward the purchase to avoid the cognitive dissonance that occurs if we admit we don't like something we spent a lot of money on.), demand characteristics of the situation (He believes he's got the "good stuff" and "the illegal stuff".), and classic placebo effect (He believes he is taking a drug). Placebos are powerful stuff, so I don't doubt that he felt something, but there's a lot of evidence that it was all in his head and due to being really freaking drunk, and nothing to indicate that his experience was anything other than this. Case closed.

*KSOG math:

70% ABV

Vol=23.67oz (minus 1 oz for GF’s drink) = 15.869 oz pure ETOH taken in 10 hours

Standard drink = .6 oz of ETOH, 15.869/.6 = 26.448

Do you think it's a hidden commentary about the experience you're about to have?

I crunched a few numbers ...

I did too, before the previous post, with results similar to yours (Didn't account for the girlfriend. What's an ounce amongst friends?). Frankly, I have a hard time imagining anyone having the ability or motivation to continue writing, even at that level, throughout that kind of alcohol onslaught. Looks more like the work of someone with an Associates in Communications from Podunk JUCO, and a pot of black coffee.

Didn't the writer know that KOS Gold is only for wimps now that one can find KOS Platinum?

I'm waiting for the Titanium.

Edited for poor metaphor.

Edited by fingerpickinblue

The most powerful absinthe eh? By the power of Greyskull?

"Goddamn, the first taste always jolts me.

Somewhat more bitter than regular absinthe, yet paradoxically more smooth—the usual sharp 140 proof edge appears to be in hiding in the herbs.

I haven’t been this excited since my first LSD trip in college. All right you goddamn Amazonian Green Faerie, let's dance!"

I :poop:'d better writing when I was in high school. Last time I checked KOSG isn't from the Amazon.

Does anyone speak with that manner of whip-crack repartee anymore?

Most certainly not, especially if drinking KOSG, you human paraquat!

Dude here.

Doubs has a screw cap too! :harhar:

Indeed it does. A holdover from its first life, perhaps?

This is an old piece from the July/Aug 2004 issue, first discussed here.

100 mg. of thujone. Ten times the legal amount allowed in Europe. An infinite amount stronger than allowed in the U.S.,

If by "infinite" you also mean "ten."

There is nothing like it. Nothing. I must ride this train to the end of line. I can’t wait to see what’s waiting at the station.

The E.R.? Godot?

Wow, I believe it's fiction just because I have trouble believing anyone could drink more than one glass.

I think of myself as having a pretty strong stomach for bad-tasting booze, but that stuff made me question what I had gotten myself into when I volunteered to review it.

*crying* "I don't want to! It's tastes like tomcat urine smells, with a copper penny finish! Please don't make me finish the glass!"

Funny. I threw on my Modern Drunkard Magazine T-Shirt this morning when I got up.

I first came upon them about 6-7 years ago when Jack Daniels changed from 86 to 80 proof. I was reading an article in the local paper and there was a quote from the editor of MDM. It thought it was hysterical that such a magazine existed, so I went to their site.

I was directing the play Play It Again, Sam at the time, so I found their article about Bogart's drinking binges to be a most amusing yarn. Enough so that I bought their T-shirt (which will now share time with the Absintium Cor Laetificant T-shirt).

I rarely drink excessively, but I do have more of an affinity for fine wines, ales and spirits than most of the people I associate with. Enough so that they refer to me as the lush. So, I thought it would be apropos to wear it proudly.

I always looked at MDM as something akin to the National Lampoon articles my college roommate kept shoving in my face to read. Amusing satires/yarns that don't take themselves too seriosly. That works for me.

Interestingly enough, this article was also there at the time. I remember reading it along with a piece on Hemmingway's liquid indulgences.

I don't remember thinking anything more of it than pleasant fiction at the time. I can't speak for the great unwashed, but I think anybody who reads anything on MDM takes it with a grain of salt. In fact, I'm sure the scribe responsible for this aggrandized the myths about absinthe on purpose. Very tongue-in-cheek. Gotta sell some rags, ya know.

Edited by z-a-a

His experience was a combination of possibly making the whole thing up.

Fixed it for you. :twitchsmile:

The reason I started working numbers was to call shenanigans on the guy if the amount of ETOH consumed in the time documented could reasonably be expected to cause death, which I initially assumed it would. In reality, it worked out to a little less than 2.65 drinks per hour, which is a heck of a lot to consume over a 10 hour span, but not impossible for a seasoned hard drinker (read alcoholic). That said, I do doubt the veracity of what he claims to have "accomplished", but the numbers didn't give me a clear case to call BS, so I didn't. Still, the whole endeavor was such a waste of money, his time, my time, your time, internet space, etc.

I always looked at MDM a something akin to the National Lampoon articles my college roommate kept shoving in my face to read. Amusing satires/yarns that don't take themselves too seriosly. That works for me.

And I can certainly get that point of view. I admit to being amused by thumbing through a Maxim magazine maybe once a year, for the same reasons. But always, in the back of my mind, is the thought that there are guys out there that consider it a "how to" manual.

But always, in the back of my mind, is the thought that there are guys out there that consider it a "how to" manual.

Absolutely, you can't protect people from themselves. People will always believe what they want to.

You can lead a horse to water...

this article was so stupid........and so difficult to get through it..... something written by and for a frat house.......... simply horrible.

I find it hard to believe that someone not only got 26 drinks out of that kos bottle, but that they actually consumed that amount of the garbage without hospitalization due to alcohol poisoning or just a plain poor quality crapsinthe.