Sign in to follow this  
xxhugexx

Wormwood Garden and Plant Identification

I am planning a Herb Garden with an Absinthe theme!. This is for fun and to better appreciate smells and tastes.

The seeds I want so far are:

peppermint

licorice

hyssop

sweet flag

anise

angelica

Melissa

coriander

fennel

In my front yard I have a bush that I think is wormwood, but I do not know what kind. I took pictures and if you can identify it, please let me know. I already tried googling it to no avail. Also if you know any other good flowering absinthe plants to add that can grow in coastal northern California (mckinleyville - Full sun) let me know, I have a month before I start planting.

2710549470029746851xUhGiB_th.jpg

2156728670029746851fFRFqK_th.jpg

Looks like the real deal to me--Artemesia absinthium, but I'll defer to the plant experts on the forum for further verification.

You can find most of your plants here. For the fennel, anise, mint, melissa and coriander, any good seed/plant store will do you well.

Angelica is a very difficult plant to get started, requiring a lot of water. We found it was far easier to wildcraft than grow ourselves.

I don't know squat about licorice. :wave2:

I have a few books but I still ask a few folks for help identifying my plants.

Yes, I'm thick skulled and stubborn to a fault........I should add, easy to fool.........once.

Lovely plants though, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

I'll be at the farmers market in the morning looking for Hyssop and a few other things.....I murdered my Fennel last year while chasing the dog with my lawnmower. I'm clumsy also. ;)

Beautiful, healthy plant. It definitely looks like A.a. Does it taste like A.a.? How old is the plant? How tall does it get? Do you have any pictures of the base of the plant? I'm not a plant expert but I like to grow things. :cheers:

We've got powis castle all over the place here which irritates the hell out of me because my first thought is that it's artemisia absinthium. I think Jules asks some good questions, and there are very few plants I feel like I can identify with confidence.

Most powis castle that grows around here is pretty low lying, but most of the artemisia absinthium I've seen (in photos and live) seems like it can get quite tall, and I can't recall ever seeing any of them bloom, but that's not something I would have paid attention to until about a year ago. ;)

The plant is about 10 years old. the house is my GF's mothers house who doesn't live here anymore. I moved in 2 years ago and tried to kill the wormwood plant and grow some snap dragons and salvia in the frontyard. Since then the wormwood has popped up out of nowhere and I admired the ruggedness of it and let it live with minimal trimming. Now with my new gusto for absinthe I think it will be the staple for my absinthe 2011 herb garden. I will deff keep everyone posted with my pictures as it comes along.

The powis castle really is a dead ringer, in most respects, to A.A. I probably couldn't tell the difference. I just know my A.A. is real, the seeds having come from Joe and Jules' own stock. My issue is that I've got mine growing in a pot on my front porch, for containment purposes, but the shade seems to keep it from growing as big as I'd like.

I had a little sprout which did just fine, until about a month ago. I don't know what happened, it had survived all winter and once things started warming up it peetered out.

That's similar to my AA plant--sprout-like. It gets about 18 to 24 inches tall, growing from 3-4 stalks and will show little yellow button flowers about 1/2 way through the season (if my memory is accurate), but it doesn't get full and bushy like I think it would if it got more sun.

Mine didn't get anywhere near that tall, but I had started it late in the season. I planted some more seeds a few weeks ago since things have beeen warming up down here. No new sprouts yet though.

What kind of sun/shade does yours get? I'm starting to think I need to move mind off the porch so it can get more sunshine and fulfill its potential.

My wormwood plants are taller now than they ever were last year. Close to two feet. Well over knee high to me.

Now all I need to do is make sure they are in fact, A.a. I believe the flowers will help. They are very bitter also.

Next question: How hard is it to keep your AA contained? I'd like to move mine directly to the ground and into full sunlight, but don't want it to spread uncontrolled. Any thoughts on how to keep it from taking over? Is it as simple as catching it before it goes to seed and pulling any seedlings that get started or does it require more care than this?

A.a. is an alpine herb. The plant is challenged in warmer climes.

Planting from seed? Wait two years.

Definitely full sun.

Containment? In a yard with good soil and full sun? Good luck. Cut before the plant flowers and pull the plants before the tap root is well established if you do not want it to spread. Worse case, you can always cut it at the base and pour rubbing alcohol on the tap root to kill the big plants.

Based on your advice I think I'll refrain from putting her directly in the ground and stick with a large pot. Sunshine is in order, so I'll move her to the back yard for the summer. She'll love it there.