#31 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

Indeed.

"Grammar Police" here is more of an inside joke than anything. For years, we had the infamous "Sixer" (Sixela, actually) that delighted in busting anyone for the slightest error in grammar. Since those halcyon days, we have embraced a more gentle approach. That anyone could suggest this group of Mods is hard ass about anything (except setting your absinthe aflame) is pretty laughable.

Strive for proper punctuation and grammar. Strive to be polite and respectful of your fellow Forum members. If those rules are too stringent for your creative freedom, something is very wrong. :cheers:

#32 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

I must admit that I got tired of giving that same reminder over and over again and actually gave up for a while. For that I apologize. After working all day in a soul sucking mouse maze I appreciate an easy read. That brings me around to the intent of this thread. I enjoy a good derailment as much as anyone but I appreciate them being kept to the convivial threads. I'll watch my Ps&Qs and work not to cause or contribute to any derailment myself. Eliminating derailments and post tagging in educational threads seems like an admirable goal to me.
I am the wood nymph.

#33 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

You know, not to pile on or anything, but Huge was on the wrong side of right with the grammar issue, and Miguel was wrong to assume you can just do what you please here. I'll just let the Proprietaire's words clarify it for all who are reading this.

3. Spell-check, use the shift key (capitalize), refrain from chat-speak; don't quote the last post.
Please be thoughtful and make an effort to use proper punctuation, capitalization, spelling and grammar. Since this isn't a real-time, teen chat room, you have the time to check for errors as well as the ability to edit a post once it's made.

Using good writing habits is courteous and projects a more credible image of the writer. People who appear to be illiterate are seldom taken seriously. Safari users can go to Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling As You Type. Firefox users can right-click > Check Spelling.

Let's straighten out this "free speech" thing.

There is a widespread, popular and FALSE notion that "free speech" means anyone can say anything to anyone else, anywhere, anytime, without fear of consequences. It doesn't.

Some also appear to believe that every individual has some sort of constitutional right of access anywhere they want to go, online or offline. They don't. This forum isn't public property, it's a privately owned by an unincorporated not-for-profit organization and we retain the right to decide with whom we associate.

Also for the folks who have recently joined us, familiarize yourself with the Advisory Board and the moderating team.

Having sufficiently put those questions to bed, now we can get back to the business of discussing our vices.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#34 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

within the realm of forum appropriateness, of course... :laugh:

appropriacy?
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#35 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

appropiracy?

:pirate: That's better.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#36 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

I read that when I joined. But it is hard to attract newbies by jumping on them. I understand the rules here are different than the insult happy other forum. It was the more polite tone that attracted me to this forum. So when a FV worthy comment was made, I just pointed it out, especially since a noob could take it harder than an old timer.

#37 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Be patient. Give everyone a chance to get to know you while you get to know them better. You'll get the hang of it. :cheers:

#38 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

I don't know how we can possibly treat people any more gently than we already do.

It blows me away that there's a controversy about this. Doc's post looked as innocuous as it gets, and she was intentionally joking and lighthearted to take the sting out of enforcing a forum rule, which is a crappy and mostly thankless job anyway.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#39 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,722 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Yeah Joe!

I understand the rules here are different than the insult happy other forum. It was the more polite tone that attracted me to this forum.

Part of why I keep coming back. I feel like I've dropped a few that were a little less than playful jabs at some folks though, so if I've offended Absomphe for the old curmudgeon he is, I'm sorry, and to anyone else out there.

Edited by baubel, 02 April 2011 - 04:29 PM.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#40 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Pffffft. You guys didn't know about the pay increase and the very nice benefits package G~ put together for us. Yes sir, ridin' down EZ Street in my new black Boxster, lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills.

Ooops, time to empty the ashtrays and take out the garbage.

#41 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Everyone, that's why I'm not a mod. I was demanding a Jaguar XF.

My stupid facebutt page.

#42 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

We had a Jaguar for awhile. She referred to it as "The Kitty".

A wonderful ride and I want another so bad I'm willing to sell my coin collection and all my booze and probably my motorcycle.

See, instant derailment.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#43 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

I still fume over the 1973 Jaguar XJ-6 that was supposed to be mine when I turned 18 but gave my parents so many fits they sold it.

British racing green. *cries*

My stupid facebutt page.

#44 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,665 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

appropriacy?

Appropiracy? (With a nod to Somalia). :pirate:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#45 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

Peridot, I can't match the Jag, but I can relate. My elderly aunt had a near-mint 1966 Oldsmobile F-85, literally driven only to church and grocery store, that she planned to give me for high school graduation. Of course, it collided with a dump truck a month or two prior. (Thankfully, she was OK; the car, not so much) :no:

And that, my friends, is another fine example of thread derailment!
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#46 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

I don't mind this one being derailed.

Sad. You reminded me of a '68 Shelby GT500 that was inches away from being mine. So, so close... :no:

#47 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'm willing to sell my coin collection

WTB: 1881-CC GSA MS65 DMPL $1 w/COA. (I recently learned how to read/speak a little coin-glish.)

I don't have much of a coin collection, but I know I want one of those. I did get a silver quarter in a roll of quarters today! I'm surprised that banks don't check for that sort of thing.

Edited by Phoenix, 02 April 2011 - 06:43 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#48 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Peridot, I can't match the Jag, but I can relate. My elderly aunt had a near-mint 1966 Oldsmobile F-85, literally driven only to church and grocery store, that she planned to give me for high school graduation. Of course, it collided with a dump truck a month or two prior. (Thankfully, she was OK; the car, not so much) :no:

And that, my friends, is another fine example of thread derailment!

Oh, that's awful. At least my Jag was sold off when I was like 15 so I knew for a while I wasn't getting it. Oh, and the guy who bought it painted it an ugly shade of purple.

My stupid facebutt page.

#49 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sigh, I miss my 2005 MINI Cooper S with TSW springs, Koni FSD shocks, Wilwood brakes, Alta 17% reduction pulley, Intercooler, front and back sway bars, Sparco seats, and cold air intake.
I don't miss its horrible reliability.

#50 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

1881-CC GSA MS65 DMPL $1 w/COA

I may have some Morgans from CC but I'm pretty sure there isn't a CoA with any.
Most of my good stuff was sold a few years ago to buy a new motorcycle.
I made a mistake and thought..........you get the picture. I was under a doctors care and the meds made me more stupid. There's more to the story.

The MS65 would be a real treasure. Keep looking but it's a sellers market right now.JMO

I'm pondering selling my silver eagles and silver bars. I've sold some but that was a few years ago.

Nothing tacky about that post and now we're back on track.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#51 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

It's for the best. Due to my current (un)employment situation I shouldn't be buying anything expensive. Good thing I've got a bunch of absinthe saved up to last me a long time!
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#52 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

So when a FV worthy comment was made, I just pointed it out, especially since a noob could take it harder than an old timer.

Since this continues to come up I will address it once more, in my own defense, and then let it go.

If you think that my grammar joke, one that has been around for decades and used in educational settings with adults, was a personal insult on-par with what goes on at FV, you must have misunderstood what I was saying.

To clarify, I did not say that xxhugexx was doing the things mentioned in the example. I said proper use of capitalization and punctuation, "Is the difference between" saying, "I did X," and saying, "I did Y." Never did I say, as you seem to believe, that xxhugexx did anything sexual with an animal or with his uncle. If this is what you read in my statement, I must respectfully point out that that is not at all what was written or implied by my statement.

One last time I will say publicly to both you, Miguel, and xxhugexx, that I am sorry if you read my admonition to apply proper writing style here as a personal attack. It's clearly not what I wrote or intended. I was merely attempting to inject some light-hearted, yet bawdy, humor into an otherwise thankless task. At the same time, I will point out that, xxhugexx, you did directly attack me in reply with, "If you didn't have something shoved up yours then you would learn how to use your colon."
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#53 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:14 AM

Which prompted my (and Jules) admonishment.
There was no misunderstanding.

#54 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

All kinds of misunderstandings going on. All I'm trying to say (and failing miserably at) is that not wanting to scare away noobs, it might be well to ease up on them until we are more familiar with them, and likewise anyone feeling offended by a light hearted jab, should count to ten and breathe before replying with a truly nasty remark that jcbphd did not deserve.
jcbphd, I understood your post perfectly, and would not have thought of it much if it was directed at an old timer, but as a relative noob I did take it as a tad offensive, and guessed correctly that a brand new noob would take it the wrong way initially.
I understand this is a privately owned forum, but by admission of the owner, it is the most popular US absinthe forum, and if we want the drink we like to move on from an obscure, hard to get niche, we need to keep a spoonful of honey to attract as many flies as possible.
Love and green fairies to all.

#55 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

I'm amazed at how much attention the harmless and innocent horse comment has drawn. It's not like she dropped an FYI bomb or suggested a flaming anus shot (you know who you are). :laf:

#56 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I think I do finally understand a bit better where you're coming from Miguel. Thanks for hanging in there to clarify. And I do agree with you. We want to attract, rather than repel, folks. Henceforth I shall be all business when it comes to my G.P. activities. :police: Now that we have that put to rest, who's up for an absinthe? :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#57 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

But can the admins really be held responsible for newbs taking offense when we make gentle jabs reminding them of rules that they should have read well before posting? You know, the big READ THIS FIRST sign isn't enough?
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#58 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Perhaps a short quiz on the "Read This First". Then a proper introduction. Then they can post.

I'm posting this as tongue in cheek but I have been to a forum or two that have been almost that bad.

We're all adults.
Text is difficult to to tell tone.
As grownups or over 21 years of age, I suspect there are few prudes looking into absinthe.
I like this place because damn near everyone is very open minded, delightful, courteous, polite and lenient to a fault.

My spelling isn't the best. My punctuation isn't the best. Hell, Sixela told me to buy the book:
Eats, shoots and leaves. The zero tolerance approach to punctuation. I still fail.

I'm done!

Peace,
B

#59 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Perhaps a short quiz on the "Read This First". Then a proper introduction. Then they can post.

On a different forum, the new members are restricted to posting in the "New Member Intro" section until after they have demonstrated their awareness of forum protocol and rules. Either an Admin or Mod can lift their posting restrictions anytime they feel comfortable. I'm not in favor of it, however. I think most people will agree, it is very unusual when these little issues arise. The vast majority of new members "get it" and rarely have problems.

#60 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

I know from here and many other forums that people tend to be very sensitive about having their spelling and grammar corrected. And it leads to long, vitriolic arguments.

But here nobody except Sixela would get on your ass about ending a sentence in a preposition. Not a word about comma splicing. Just capitalize and punctuate so that other people can read what you're writing because it's a chore to read messy crap.

Most people who come in typing IM-style have not read the rules and have no idea that clear typing is actually expected of them. There isn't a nice way to inform/ remind them. But it needs to be done and it's not only done by mods.

Honestly, this place is more gentle to newbies than any other absinthe forum by a long measure. In fact it's more gentle to newbies than any forum I've ever been to by a long measure. Expecting more is frankly unreasonable.

My stupid facebutt page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association