66 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

I'm as bad as anyone so you're welcome to bust my chops when I am negligent but I want to emphasize a couple of things.

Most of us are very good at derailing threads. I am. Let's re-double our efforts to avoid doing it. Some topics deserve to remain focused. Other threads are more lighthearted and allowing the conversation to wander all over hell and back is not an issue. It only takes a little commonsense and consideration. *

Unrelated to off-topic is being clear in your communication. If you're congenially teasing someone, make sure they can't mistake your intention. I blindsided xxhugexx the other day because I thought he was being seriously rude when he was certain he was only kidding. I know some people hate emoticons but they help to convey intentions and they beat the hell out of hurting someone's feelings. This isn't a chat room and it only takes a little effort to think before you post (or edit once you screw up).

*I'm toying with making a little depository thread to dump comments that derail inappropriately.

#2 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Just kidding, Joe! Don't ban me yet! I'll goof off less.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#3 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

I kinda figured you'd be the first baubel. :dev-cheers:

I hear you Joe, and agree completely. We do have pinned threads for our extemporaneous musings.

ps a llama bit my sister once.
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#4 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

whatever happened to the Cornfield?
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Penis
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#6 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

Cock
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#7 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thujone.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#8 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,691 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#9 xxhugexx

xxhugexx

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

FYI , I felt a jab was taken at my expense. I was writing in a alcohol forum, subforum about cigars and had a couple of drinks and forgot to use punctuation. I made a bad double ententrde with pun intended but I think that the jab taken at me included incestual blowjobbing so a butt joke wasn't out of this world rude. I am no larry david or anything but next time i will remember to add a smiley face doing something like winking or being a pirate to let people know I was trying to make a joke. :pirate: ;) or refrain from drunk foruming. (NO FUN!)

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

While I agree on trying to keep the grammar at a level higher than other forums, I can see why the grammar police can be annoying after a long day at work, and a pontalier glass or two. Maybe grammar police could also use some civility and refrain from animal sex references while putting down a man for using his right to free expression. And taking a breather before hitting the 'Add Reply' button can also spare a lot of hurt feelings, specialy after a couple of dances with the green fairy.

#11 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your gibes. :cheers:

#12 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

:laf:

I just caught up with this. Now, because everything turned out alright, I think I can say, without any reservations, and because I've viewed it from afar without being involved in that thread -- that was funny as hell! I'm sure Doc even got a kick out of it! It's a shame so much gets lost in translation through the written word.

:cheers:

Glad everyone came out of this alright. Anyone need any Bactine?

Edited by precenphix, 01 April 2011 - 02:28 PM.

Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Indeed. I can't imagine anyone losing too much skin off their nose. No Bactine needed here.

Let me re-emphasize the most important part of the message: choosing carefully which threads
are derailed. We have a wealth of threads that can bounce around like a pinball but there are a
few that deserve a little consideration.

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,627 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

Holy crap! I can't believe all the lame posts I've been making lately. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#15 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

100% gin-u-wine pork chop.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#16 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

(I'm just relieved it wasn't referring to me maybe going a step too far on the "Pissed Off' thread...) :unsure:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#17 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

What were we talking about? :pirate:

#18 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

• 2,691 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Yeah but....relieving yourself in the "pissed off" thread isn't really a derailment, is it? :unsure:

And Joe, I was wondering does that "or else" come with a spanking?? :devil:

Edited by Hedonmonkey, 01 April 2011 - 03:30 PM.

I pledge allegiance to Queen Fragg and her mighty state of Hysteria...     -Calvin

"Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone."    -Hobbes

#19 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

(I'm just relieved it wasn't referring to me maybe going a step too far on the "Pissed Off' thread...) :unsure:

Pshaw. The "Pissed off" thread is perfect for multiple derailments.

#20 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

:laf:

#21 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Yeah but....relieving yourself in the "pissed off" thread isn't really a derailment, is it? :unsure:

:laugh: Comedic gold!
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#22 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

More like ...

Good effort Ms. Monkey and yes, perhaps a spanking is in order.

But back to the topic, (I know, I suck) the IGP thread is a very good example where it's best to stick to the topic. JMO

There are more and I enjoy derailment as much as the next person but some really do deserve staying close to the topic. Some of the newer members may find themselves confused......I still do. <shrug>
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#23 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

I always feel bad when new people have a question only to get pointed to a previous thread about the topic. I empathize with how much time they're going to have to spend sifting through dick jokes to find their answer.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#24 White Wolf

White Wolf

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

This is only a "normal" amout of controll Joe is trying to assert. :pirate:

Jim
"No matter where you go, there you are"

#25 White Wolf

White Wolf

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

P.S. "Bollocks"

Jim
"No matter where you go, there you are"

#26 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

FYI , I felt a jab was taken at my expense.

Understood, and not intended to be a jab. I was really just trying to be funny/light-hearted about our appreciation of proper grammar.

I made a bad double ententrde with pun intended but I think that the jab taken at me included incestual blowjobbing so a butt joke wasn't out of this world rude.

Right, but I didn't say "you" did those things. I said "I" did those things. In response you said I had something up my arse.

next time i will remember to add a smiley face doing something like winking or being a pirate to let people know I was trying to make a joke. :pirate: ;) or refrain from drunk foruming. (NO FUN!)

Please DO NOT refrain from drunk foruming. I like grammar and all, but I like people being drunk equally. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#27 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

I like people being drunk equally.

It's only fair. :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#28 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

And Joe, I was wondering does that "or else" come with a spanking?? :devil:

Just for you, Darling. :devil:

P.S. "Bollocks"

And you, too, Darling. :twitchsmile:

I always feel bad when new people have a question only to get pointed to a previous thread about the topic. I empathize with how much time they're going to have to spend sifting through dick jokes to find their answer.

Agreed and thank you for mentioning that. It's easy to forget that our reason for being here isn't to party down but be of service for new people interested in absinthe. That doesn't mean we can't have fun (I have thoroughly enjoyed the ribbing today). All I'm asking is to remember what's posted in our rules and keep the party to the appropriate threads.

Now, where is that drunk post thread? I have a little venting to do. :cheers:

#29 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,720 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for bringing that up Phoenix. With all the dick jokes I've made, I hadn't really realized how that might have appeared to a newcomer. I'll keep that in mind next time.

One for the road:

(I have thoroughly enjoyed the ribbing today)

Ewwwwww!

Posted Image

Edited by baubel, 01 April 2011 - 09:51 PM.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#30 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:09 AM

Maybe grammar police could also use some civility and refrain from animal sex references while putting down a man for using his right to free expression.

Having just seen this reply this morning, I want to respond, as it is clear that you are referring to me. If my joke offended you Miguel, and it is clear that it has, I truly apologize. The illustrative example came from a friend who teaches English and grammar at a local community college. I figured that if the joke was appropriate enough in that setting, it would fit in well here. As xxhugexx pointed out, this is a drinking forum, frequented mostly by men, and this is the first time I believe I have offended anyone with my bawdiness, but it is helpful to know that people are sensitive to such statements.

At the same time, I disagree that I was "putting a man down for using his right to free expression." I will admit to good-natured teasing about the lack of capitalization and punctuation, but framing this as me "putting a man down for using his right to free expression" is over the top. The WS Forum Rules, #3 indicates that users are expected to use proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and grammar to the extent possible, considering we do have some users who do not speak English as a first/primary language. Thus I was not attempting to enforce this as it is my own individual preference, but rather an established expectation of the forum.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association