Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#32 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yep, What Ambear said. The next best, in some cases, would be some of the stuff from spain.

30's, 40's and 50's Terragona. They are all different but not terrible and they are fairly reasonably priced.

Just sayin'
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#33 billnchristy

billnchristy

• Bronze Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

I need to lube my wallet so the money will slide out easier.

:twitchsmile:

#34 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

No need, it will find it's own way out. This has been one my most wallet thinning hobbies to date.

I'm glad I'm married. Bless her heart, she doesn't care for absinthe or Scotch. Tsk tsk!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#35 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

... I have to say, my bottle of Pernod Fils 1914 was an amazing series of drinking profundities that I managed to stretch into just over a year of special occasions.

Considering what I would call a "special occasion", I might get a little more chronological mileage out of that. On the other hand, having a glass would qualify, in my world, as a "special occasion".
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#36 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Considering what I would call a "special occasion", I might get a little more chronological mileage out of that.

Indeed.

But then, there's no need to be so morbid, is there? :harhar: :laf:

Edited by Absomphe, 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#37 nny12345

nny12345

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Neat, 2-3 at a time, with a Rocky Patel 1992 is usually how I enjoy them. Finding a nice view and a cool breeze makes for optimum experience.

#38 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Glencairn Glass is a must! It is my whisky/whiskey glass and makes a big difference! I drink all my whiskey neat or with a drop of water to open it up a bit! I am more partial to Irish Whiskey than scotch.... Although a good single malt is in order if the mood strikes! Talisker, Bunnahabain, etc. I like em peaty and with a lovely iodine taste. Yar like a salty sea :pirate:
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#39 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

I've tried the Bunnahabain 12 on two occasions (I think it was the 12). It wasn't very memorable at all. Nor was it peaty. From what I gather, some of their offerings are peated and some aren't.

I like Talisker, but it's less about peat and smoke than it is about pepper. I get a fun peppery sensation on my tongue. Like Pop Rocks for adults.
When life gives you lemons, garnish your martini.
When life gives you honey, trade it for some lemons.

#40 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

To each his own. it is interesting you got a peppery taste from Talisker. I haven't had Talisker for a few years. Now that you mention it as soon as I get the chance I am buying a bottle and seeing if I can get the peppery sensation you get. I remember it being peated and iodinized very sensibly and lighter than the Islay Whiskies. But the thing that impressed me was the subtle flavors that tickled my palate. It's fun drinking a complex single malt and seeing if you can identify the little nuances of flavor that make it memorable, tofee, pepper, iodine, peat, fruit, et cetera :cheers:
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#41 Manray

Manray

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I alternate between neat, a touch of water and on the rocks depending on my mood and what I'm drinking. I like many single malts out there but my first choice is Macallan. The 12 year is a good one to have around at all times but I love the 18 year and the 25 year is phenominal! I did once splurge for a pour of a 50 year Macallan, and although I'm glad I got to experience it I can say that to my palate not enough had happened to the nose and flavor in those additional years for me to dream of one day owning a bottle of it. For a smooth and truly wonderful single malt scotch the 18 year Macallan will do just fine by me!

Edited by Manray, 25 November 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#42 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,596 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

a 50 year Macallan

Along with '74 Ardbeg, and '64 Black Bowmore, one of my top three.

#43 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I don't have vast experience with single malt,but my favorite is Lagavulin 12 yr neat.Lagavulin is the first single malt I ever tried.The only experience I had with scotch prior to Lagavulin was Cutty Sark and Johnny Walker.I hated the stuff,and thought I hated all scotch.About 18 yrs ago,some friends and I were in a bar in New Haven,and one of them bought a round of scotch for everyone.When I said no thanks,I was assured that single malt would be like nothing I ever had before.I buy a bottle of it every fall now.

Edited by redwun, 26 November 2012 - 05:11 PM.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#44 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Lagavulin is an Islay whisky of course, and I'm right there with you, I can't get enough peat. Although for a bit more ($80) if you can find a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail you'll be in for something even more special.

#45 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

The Ardbeg Uigeadail is what I've been dipping into currently, whenever smoky scotch is called for (can you say Mephisto?). Plus the glass I had Thanksgiving evening, along with a glass of Highland Park 18.
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#46 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I can say Mephisto. :twitchsmile:
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#47 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,596 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Of course you can. :devil:

#48 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Ardbeg Uigeadail is probably my favourite Scotch right now. Close behind is Laphroiag Quarter Cask. Both the Uigeadail and the Quarter Cask are more "casky" than the regular 10 year offerings.

Other favourites of mine are Talisker Distiller's Edition, Lagavulin 16, and Highland Park 18. Both are smoky but well aged. I think the Talisker DE, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and Highland Park 18 all use sherry casks, which I seem to enjoy. I might have to try the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition sometime.

#49 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,596 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

I'd also highly recommend the Balvenie Portwood 21 year old. :thumbup:

#50 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

I don't think I've tried anything aged in portwood, nor any whisky over 18 years old. Sounds delicious.

Scotch is pretty cheap in Taiwan (compared to Canada, at least), so I'm stockpiling bottles to take back home. The Highland Park 18 is about $50 bucks in Taiwan, and I've seen it in Canada for $150.

#51 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,596 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

$150 is about the price of the Portwood, these days.

When I discovered it back in the 90s, it was a little more than a third of that, but it's still a lot of flavor for the money.

#52 Variable

Variable

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

That Highland Park 18 usually runs around $100 US. It is a nice bottle for that price. I usually keep a bottle of the 12 y/o expression around. The Ardberg Uigedal is indeed a fantastic bottle. SO is the Laph QC. That and their regular 10 y/o expression are my regular drams.

#53 tingjunkie

tingjunkie

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've been exploring single malts myself this past year. After trying Oban 14 and Highland Park 12 and "not getting it," I finally tried the Lagavulin 16. I'm solidly an Islay man apparently! After trying maybe 6 more from Islay, Lagavulin 16 is still my dram of choice. However, I was delighted to find a Dun Bheagan 8 year old Islay for a scant $35 recently. For the price, it's a beautiful everyday dram, and helps me save more money for absinthe!

#54 SquirrelEK379

SquirrelEK379

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have to say, my Scotch of choice is Glenlivet. I have bottles of the 12 year old, 15 year old, and 18 year old, and have had the 21 year old at a few bars, and 15 seems to be my favorite. It still has a lot of flavor, but it's lost a bit of the heat of the 12 year old. 

I just drink it out of the low ball glass I got with Gentleman Jack, with two cubes of ice. Tastes like heaven to me!

#55 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

I'm sipping some scotch tonight so I thought I'd revisit this thread. One thing I noticed was the misconception early on that blends are somehow inferior to single malts. I used to think this as well, but it's really not true. It's a different way of making scotch, true, but it's not nescessarily inferior. Or cheaper! Also, keep in mind a more expensive scotch isn't nescessarily better, neither is an older one. Many factors go into the price including simply the cost of storing the scotch for a longer period.

That said, I do tend towards single malts instead of blends. On a recent trip I picked up a couple I hadn't tried before. One is the Glenmorangie Lasanta and the other is the Macallan 1824 Select Oak. (Not actually from 1824 :P)

I'm not too convinced by the Macallan. I'm actually revisiting it tonight to see if my opinion differs from the first time I drank it. I will say I took much more notice of the nose--it has quite an aroma that's rather pleasant and not to alcoholy. But I find the flavour falls down a bit. I'm not sure if this review coloured my thoughs a bit, but I do feel I taste some vanilla. After there's a bit of spice and it goes down warm. Definitely some tingle on the tongue, but not numbing and not unpleasant. I just find it rather uncomplicated.

The Glenmorangie I found delicious. I'll maybe come back with more about it later as it's not fresh enough in my mind to really make a statement on, just that it was very full flavoured. My main has always been the Glenmorangie 10 yr and I'd expected something similar to that. The Lasanta spends two more years in sherry casks and it makes a huge difference.

I drink mine neat, generally just in a tumbler, but I'm planning to pick up some Glencairn glasses this weekend.

#56 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

My friend Ron left a full bottle of Glenfiddich 18 in my den a few days ago. Tomorrow evening, we taste. :cheers:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#57 AndrewMTO

AndrewMTO

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

Glencairn Glass is a must! It is my whisky/whiskey glass and makes a big difference! I drink all my whiskey neat or with a drop of water to open it up a bit! I am more partial to Irish Whiskey than scotch.... Although a good single malt is in order if the mood strikes! Talisker, Bunnahabain, etc. I like em peaty and with a lovely iodine taste. Yar like a salty sea :pirate:

I'm also a little more partial to Irish. My last name starts O'! Right now I have a bottle of Paddy and Glenfiddich open. I am saving a Bushmills single and sherry barrel aged Glenfiddich for a special occaission I have coming up this spring.

The Sherry barrel aged Glenfiddich is a gift from my wife. Last year her Christmas gift to me was an Absinthe fountain. Not only that, she will on occaission join me for a glass of absinthe. I am very lucky!

#58 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Surprised no ones mentioned Aberlour.

ilion if you' liked the Lasanta, check out Quinta Ruban. A fave of mine.

Also after trying so many top end Single Malts, incl Master of Malt 30y.o ..my palate has really sat well with the 15y.o Glenlivets for great value

#59 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thanks to Ilion for pointing out what I was going to say about blends not being inherently inferior.  Inferior scotches are often blends, but not all blends are inferior scotches :)    Johnny Gold is fantastic for example.   And there are singles you can get for under $50 (US) that are well worth tucking into.

One thing I've found handy to guide myself and neophytes like our OP is this very generalized idea ...

Islay = peat

Highland = caramel

Speyside = a bit of both

I recently got a bourbon drinker who wasn't keen on scotch to dig deeper by talking him into a bottle of Auchentoshen Three-Wood.  It's decidedly in that highland = caramel side of the spectrum and opened him up the possibility that they don't all taste like band-aids ;)

Obviously there's exceptions, but it's a decent guide, and I haven't run out of highlands to try yet :)

As for drinking methodology - it depends.  If it's a cask strength, I'll often add an ice cube, if it's a lighter proof, usually neat.  And my glasses might not be ideal, but they were my fathers, and his fathers before him, so I don't care :)

#60 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Lasanta is nice, for the price.  I'm a MacAllen fan over all others personally, but I have a good selection/variety in tastes at the home bar still. 

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association