Sign in to follow this  
TheGreenOne

Thujone: An Anti-Depressent?

From Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior:

Anxiolytic and antidepressant-like effects of the hydroalcoholic extract from Aloysia polystachya in rats

S. Moraa, G. Díaz-Véliza, R. Millána, H. Lungenstrassa, S. Quirósb, T. Coto-Moralesb and M.C. Hellión-Ibarrolac

Received 20 May 2005;  revised 2 September 2005;  accepted 12 September 2005.  Available online 8 November 2005.

Abstract

Behavioral effects of a hydroalcoholic extract from leaves of Aloysia polystachya (Griseb.) Moldenke (Verbenaceae) were studied in female Sprague–Dawley rats. The extract was administered intraperitoneally and its effects on spontaneous motor activity (total motility, locomotion, rearing and grooming behavior) were monitored. Anxiolytic-like properties were studied in the elevated plus-maze (EPM) test and the possible antidepressant-like actions were evaluated in the forced swimming test (FST). The results revealed that high doses of the extract (25 and 50 mg/kg, i.p.) caused a significant decrease in total motility, locomotion, rearing and grooming behavior. All doses injected (from 1.56 to 50 mg/kg) increased the exploration of the EPM open arms in a similar way to that of diazepam (1 mg/kg, i.p.). In the FST, the extract (12.5, 25 and 50 mg/kg) was as effective as fluoxetine (10 mg/kg, i.p.) and imipramine (12.5 mg/kg, i.p.) in reducing immobility, along with a significant increase in swimming and climbing, respectively. These results suggest that some of the components of the hydroalcoholic extract of A. polystachya, such as thujone and carvone among others, may have sedative, anxiolytic and antidepressant-like properties which deserve further investigation. [Emphasis added]

I realize this is a long-dead thread, but since no one mentioned it, I thought I'd bring up that there is an older study from 2004 that seems to provide a little bit of contradictory evidence. The assertion in this other study is that higher thujone levels actually counteracted the anxiolytic effects of alcohol. This might possibly indicate that it isn't the thujone providing the anxiolytic effects noted in the findings quoted in the top post here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1553676...$=activity

(This article may also be found in the 'Science Documents' link of WS).

On a more speculative note, I wonder if this, as well as the subjects' reported tendency "to direct their attention to signals in the central field of attention and to neglect peripheral signals" might in any way be related to how some artists in the Belle Epoque found absinthe to be a drink that seemed to increase their alertness, and also allowed them to "focus" (if it can be called that). In some ways, it might even be considered akin to modern-day Ritalin.

What do you think?

I wonder if this, as well as the subjects' reported tendency "to direct their attention to signals in the central field of attention and to neglect...

Wha? Oh sorry, I was distracted by something shiny.

;)

What am I going to do with you guys?

Theoretical answer for a rhetorical question -- I guess I'll have to pour you a drink if/when me meet ;)

I find I feel pretty damn well after a couple absinthes. Ask OMG Bill or Joe. ;) Many a phone call to back that one up. Just call me < 10ppm. :drunk:

I dunno. When depressed or down I generally just have an absinthe, in the drink form. Problem solved!

Perhaps there is some validity to it ;)

Mat, I'm pretty sure that drinking when you're depressed isn't a good idea! Also, going to stress clinics in Baghdad is a bad idea too.

I feel you though. I used to just open a bottle of red wine and put on a black and white movie, back when I had access to my wine. And my movies. Bleh. Now I'm depressed and want a drink. Hahaha.

Cheers. :cheers:

If I had a nickle every time I heard Jules say that to me and the boys...

Well, I'd have a hell of a lot of nickels.

-- I guess I'll have to pour you a drink if/when me meet ;)

Now, you're talkin'!

I'm pretty sure that drinking when you're depressed isn't a good idea!

Yeah, Ron. It was mostly comic relief. In fact on a serious note I cut out all alcohol in my life with the exception of the occasional wine with dinner, and absinthe of course! Ha, the health clinics had a part in that ;) But absinthe (unlike other alcohols) relaxes me and just makes me feel very mellow. So perhaps it is an anti-depressant? Or at least a damn good placebo :thumbup:

I feel kind of odd going to TOTC this year seeing as how, well- other than absinthe I really stopped drinking. But, the good food, good friends and sights of NOLA will be more than worth it for me.

Ha. Yeah, and my Bagdad clinic (too soon?) joke was also a jibe. Oh well. Buh dum bum.

TotC would be amazing. It's a shame I can't be there for it. C'est la vie.

Okay. Time to be off. I've got to go get liquored up and clean my guns.

Theoretical answer for a rhetorical question -- I guess I'll have to pour you a drink if/when me meet ;)

Jay, I will have to add you to my list of "must visit" people when I finally make it to the west coast! :arrr:

Jay, I will have to add you to my list of "must visit" people when I finally make it to the west coast! :arrr:

I just now saw your post, Bob. And yeah, my offer of buying/pouring a drink brought all sorts out of the woodwork ;)

I'd love to have a West Coast/Northwest gathering of folks from the forum. Sadly, I'm of limited means at the moment (and by 'moment,' I mean 'this current lifetime'), but I'd be willing to roadtrip it to anywhere I could reach in a day! :cheers: