absinthejack

Euro Jades vs. US Jades

TB has always been pretty quiet on the forum(s). This is nothing new.

Getting approvals for formulas and labels is a real process that rarely goes as quickly as you hope. It will drive you crazy, if you let it.

Addendum: Brilliant minds, Brian... :cheers:

To correct the record, it's not true that Ted was always quiet on forums. At one time he was extremely active at Fee Verte, almost every day and with multiple posts, but that was ten years ago or more.

Edited by Artemis

Indeed.

And those were the days when the only Jades planned for future production were to come out of Thailand.

Edited by Absomphe

But he is not even making media appearances, like he seemed earlier this year. I guess I was really looking forward to all the Jades being here by the end of summer. Maybe he is in the A/C keeping away from the heat, and enjoying our federal bureocracy.

Are you sure he's not, or just not ones that you're seeing?

True enough. There are forums that not just anybody can see. Also, he used to be (maybe still is) active on forums that have nothing to do with absinthe. Rickenbacker guitars and Taurus SHO engines were two examples. I ran into some people in Texas who knew exactly who he was, but had never heard of absinthe. They were Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer freaks. Ted is as close to a renaissance man as anybody I've ever met.

... he used to be (maybe still is) active on forums that have nothing to do with absinthe...

Who isn't?

I also belong to 3 distiller's forums, a homebrew/mead forum, a sound design forum, a lighting design forum, a Shelby Mustang forum, a cognac forum and a flyfishing forum. Don't get me started on the academic and evaluation forums. :rolleyes: I'll lay even odds that we have other members that are much more active than I. I see several WS members on Forums I visit and I know we have a wealth of eclectic folks trooping around the internet.

I'm not trying to steal the wind from TB's sails. He is highly regarded in the absinthe community for the work he did a decade ago and the products he makes today. PF1901 is still a favorite of mine and I respect the work he did to open doors for people like me.

However...

We have a new breed of WS members that don't take a back seat to anyone. They know good absinthe and they are contributing to the future absinthe community now. They appreciate the history of absinthe of both a hundred years ago as well as 10 years ago but they have their vision set to the future. Seriously, how cool is that?

Someone famous once said, "Don't tell me what you did yesterday. Tell me what you did today."

Who isn't?

Me, for one.

We have a new breed of WS members that don't take a back seat to anyone.

No need to get sensitive every time someone mentions Fee Verte. I'm not sure what you read into my post, but what I meant was that possibly Ted Breaux has not been active on the forums at which he is perceived to have gone missing is because he was spending the time that would have been required, at forums dedicated to some of his many other interests. The additional details about said interests were merely to elucidate my perception that absinthe is not his whole life, and to express my personal admiration for a man I legitimately admire. I've called him a renaissance man before, including to his face, and he seemed to appreciate it.

Myself, I haven't done anything today, having just risen, but yesterday I took issue with your statement that Ted has "always" been quiet on forums, so I'm not entirely unhappy with my contribution to one third of truth, justice, and the American Way yesterday.

I had no intent to make this about anyone but Ted, but since you asked (I assume you're at least semi-famous), today I plan to walk around in the tropical storm for a while and then trim my beard because I suspect it's contributing to an unkempt future.

Past, present, and future: check, check, check.

I drove back and forth to my new job in a car that has almost a quarter million miles on it.

Now that's something. Seriously. :cheers: to you and to your obvious attention to automotive maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if you also drive a Subaru.

Edited by Artemis

The Hiroshimanese car in my avatar took me to work for two years. It's lowered, stiff, the shocks are blown, windy, beat up, and has 210,000 miles. It's now my toy car for autocross (I suck), and for riding with my daughter when it's not baking hot outside.

No need to get sensitive every time someone mentions Fee Verte.

Who mentioned FV?

I'm not sensitive about FV in the slightest. I'm just way proud of the newest WS membership wave.

I've called him a renaissance man before, including to his face, and he seemed to appreciate it.

Who wouldn't appreciate it! I think we have several floating around here.

but yesterday I took issue with your statement that Ted has "always" been quiet on forums, so I'm not entirely unhappy with my contribution to one third of truth, justice, and the American Way yesterday.
Fair enough and duly noted. Still, 6 years and only 83 posts? ;)

Sorry if my post seemed defensive because it certainly wasn't meant to be. As I suggested, my regard for TB is sincere. I only meant to point out that we have a handful of folks making a difference today.

I've noticed your dashboard. My only complaint about my Subarus (I've had five) is that the wind noise was awful in all of them. In Nebraska, Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois winters, they were like snow plows - impeccable in nasty conditions.

Sorry if my post seemed defensive because it certainly wasn't meant to be. As I suggested, my regard for TB is sincere. I only meant to point out that we have a handful of folks making a difference today.

I could also point out that without what Ted and others did ten years ago, they might not have made any difference at all, and most certainly their paths would have been less clear. But it's okay. Thanks for your clarification, and have a good day.

the rain

I'm loving it. A big bubble of high pressure has had ARK LA TEX locked down in a 100-degree drought for so long, I barely remembered what rain was like. It's been sometimes light and sometimes heavy now for over twelve hours - tornado sirens went off about 3:30 am, and the power went off for a while. The storm and that high pressure system are going at it like two sumo wrestlers, but the high pressure is finally getting backed out of the ring. Hopefully it moves on to Canadia or somewhere.

I could also point out that without what Ted and others did ten years ago, they might not have made any difference at all, and most certainly their paths would have been less clear. But it's okay. Thanks for your clarification, and have a good day.

I couldn't agree with you more and even said it sooner...

I respect the work he did to open doors for people like me.

It's good to agree and you have a great day, too. :cheers:

I drove back and forth to my new job in a car that has almost a quarter million miles on it. ;)

Way to maintain that ride, BS!

We hope to equal and surpass that mark in our '95 Olds Achieva S.

We're currently at a piddling 203,000. :) :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe