• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Thought it was about time for a large industrial town like woostun to have it's own thread.
We have the most industrial jobs than any city in the nation, and lots of hot weather, so hopefully the cool, classically prepared absinthe will gain in popularity. I see good absinthe as something a hard working Texan can enjoy after a long day. Also, since beach weather is coming up, it sure would be nice too meet coastal absintheurs. To me, pastis was a beach/summer drink, so I think of its predecesor the same way.

Since I don't know any local absinthe drinkers, it sure would be nice to meet some, and find out decent local places to meet up with other absintheurs.

I live about 20 minutes south of I-610 on SH-288.

#2 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

You should be here:

Absinthe: Revealed 2

A Celebration of Tastings and Truths

WHEN: Saturday, April 9, 2011.

Celebration - 7:30pm till Closing. Presentations - 8:30 to 10:30pm.

WHY: Modern science triumphed over historic propaganda vindicating fine pre-ban absinthe of its alleged evils, leading to the U.S. ban being lifted December 2007. This Celebration seeks to dispel the myths surrounding this misunderstood spirit; expose an interested public to the smoothness, complexity and variety of tastes artisanal absinthes offer; and illustrate proper ways to drink them.

WHAT: As with our successful debut event, a full house is expected at this 2nd-of-its-kind happening for Houston . The celebration will commence throughout AvantGarden, with live jazz and light hors d'oeuvres. Absinthe tastings traditionale--including a new release, and special cocktails, will broaden your taste adventure. To fill out the evening’s visual experience, a showing of Damian Hevia’s compelling absinthe images will be featured for sale, as well as reproduction absinthe posters.
Then as enchanting fairies pass by, you can make your way to the courtyard for presentations that will quench your curiosities. Terms like artemisia absinthium, Dr. Ordinaire, louche, dose, thujone, Legendré, Sazerac, and L’Heure Verte will be explained by Herbsaint historian and collector, Jay Hendrickson and renowned absinthe historian and Master Distiller of Lucid Absinthe, Ted Breaux--Viridian Spirits.

We urge you to be a part of the sights in your elegant attire—be inspired by steampunk and the Belle Epoch. For an entertaining way to introduce yourself to absinthe, or expand on what you know—buy a ticket soon at www.avantgardenhouston.com/absinthe.html

WHO: Renowned absinthe historian and Master Distiller of Lucid Absinthe, Ted Breaux--Viridian Spirits, and Legendré Herbsaint Original historian and collector, Jay Hendrickson.

WHERE: AvantGarden, 411 Westheimer, Houston 77006

HOW MUCH: $20 Entire event, $15 after 10pm.

ATTACHED

ART: See four images (print and online) and caption files attached. Contact Becky for additional needs.

CONTACTS: Please call or email with questions and for more info:
Damian Hevia / Becky Cash bcash@dhevia.com 713-775-7874
Mariana at AvantGarden mariana@avantgardenhouston.com 832-519-1429
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#3 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

Will do my best to be there!

#4 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Big a$$ city, and only the two of us care enough to post here? Small wonder Spec's don't carry but Lucid and the absinthe name hogging swiss moonshine.

#5 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

Looking forward to tasting some Nouvelle Orleans at this event.

#6 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

spec's online only carries Tenneyson and Viex Carre. So not even Lucid is carried. Sux. will have to make trips to lousiana when I neeed to replenish

#7 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

Miguel!

You're not alone. There's going to be perhaps 300 people at this event. Yes, the TABC is responsible for keeping the varieties of absinthe that could be served here in Texas.

I know lots of absinthe producers that are trying their best to get in here. As you say, it's a huge market.

But firt things first. Let's have some fun!

Ted and Jay will be there personally to deliver the gospel to folks that don't know what absinthe is.

I hope to see you there.
id

#8 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

I'm glad Damian was able to coax the shy and retiring Ted Breaux to speak about absinthe.
This will be a fun event, and I've even found a person to hold the Imp's leash when I speak.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.

#9 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Why does that sound so kinky?

#10 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

This party is getting more interesting now.. :)

#11 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

Louched up some Dr. Tichenor's and heading out.

#12 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

That was totally awesome!!! I would have loved staying and chatting about aircraft, but I have autocross (motorsports) in the am. otherwise I would have pitched my idea of a modern day USS Macon using carbon fiber, Osprey powerplants, and fixing the tailfin issues with a carbon fiber cruciform & placing the leading edges on a support ring.
It was great meeting a lot of very nice people.

#13 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

Speaking of Belle Epoque repros lately, my wife and daughter saw the California based Zeppelin go by our neck of the woods. My daughter thought it would be full of speaking dogs.
If they ever revive the giants of old, I'd love to louche up a glass while floating about.

While technically feasabile, the iditos that wrecked the Hindenburg ensured such behemoths would not be built again.

Posted Image

Edited by Miguel, 20 April 2011 - 01:14 PM.

#14 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

Have emailed Spec's asking for a better selection of US and forgein distilled absinthes. I hope they listen.

#15 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hi Miguel,

I've been out of town for a while and just got back. Spec's will claim the distributors are to blame. We tried very hard to include other absinthes that are not available here in Texas in our first absinthe event. Spec's promised to help and I encouraged those makers to put pressure to be approved for sale here.

It never happened and I'm not sure where the hold up is. I know it's been frustrating for those absinthe producers to get into Texas.

I do know Spec's does not consider absinthe a market large enough for them to pay much attention to it. But, we have managed to push them a dew times to get products that we know are available but not in stock (like Herbsaint Original). They now seem to keep it in stock regularly. It seems they are oblivious if we don't prod them.

The regulations seem to be the main issue. I'm not in the business so there might be someone else that can offer a more educated explanation than me.

Gotta run,

Hey! Check out the current Mutineer magazine. they did a piece on my absinthe photos. They did a nice job.

#16 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

By the way, Miguel, where the blimp at in that picture? Or is this a way to make your point that the sky would be full of blimps if the came back into use.

I wouldn't mind louching up a glass on a blimp either.

I kid of course.
Cheers,
id

#17 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

The specs dude wrote back saying what he told you. That they buy all available absinthe.

The Zep is a small white blob in a sky full of puffy white clouds. That is an iPhone for ya. Wife said it was actually spectacular. It is in the NE now. The next generation GoodYear airships will be similar models.

Edited by Miguel, 09 June 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#18 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Anyone going? We hope to go this weekend.

#19 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm working on my new batch of images. A huge turkey leg and a funnel cake sounds good though. Wait! Will there be WENCHES?! Oh no.

#20 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Good wench weather this weekend. not that I can do much, I'll be with the fam. Kiddos love the renfest, and my little girl will go as a fee verte. OK Tinkerbell, but that would be a fee verte. :)

#21 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

If you're daughter eats enough of the Renfest food, you may have a bit of Fee Verte. Have fun.

#22 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Do they still have the Orge that sings dirty limericks for the crowd?

#23 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Spec's has Pacifique.

#24 id Wizard

id Wizard

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Finally! I'm really glad for Mark and his folks. By the way, they also are carrying their Voyager Gin. And Blues Cat is out too. All good stuff.

I'm working on a little project I hope will be a bit of fun for all.

Coming soon.

Take care, Miguel and all.
D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association