Sign in to follow this  
riotous

First bottle(s)?

Hi everyone,

Just want to say hello and what a great site this is. I've been thinking about trying a bottle of absinthe for awhile and your site has been a wonderful resource, I've learned a lot here, and after entirely way too many hours spent here instead of studying for law school, I've finally settled on a couple of brands that I think would make good first bottles. I think I am going to go with a bottle of hill's and one of king of spirits....just kidding, I think im going to go with the verte de fougerolles and the lemercier 72 amer. One of the bottles is for my brother for christmas, so I can't just buy one bottle of jade like I want. I picked those two for price and on reviews, the two seem different enough to give a good sample, and honestly because I want to drink something green (at least at first). Does anyone have any thoughts or other recommendations? Again this is a great site and everyone seems friendly and helpful, looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Thanks,

riotous

ps. I was going to order from the absinthvertrieb site, has anyone had any experience with them (i.e. shipping times, reliability)?

ps. I was going to order from the absinthvertrieb site, has anyone had any experience with them (i.e. shipping times, reliability)?

Greetings!

Markus, aka http://www.absinthvertrieb.de aka http://www.absinthe-distribution.com is a well respected vendor. The complete WS list of recommended vendors can be found here.

If you are going to get absinthe, try the Absinthe Montmartre over the Lemercier. The cinnamon-heavy flavour is not overly traditional but the quality is higher than many absinthes on the market. The 1/2 liter bottle makes it relatively affordable.

Markus is the only Absinthe vendor I'd recommend. I'm saying this even though the only shipment that I've never received was from Markus. If you order, go with courier - for obvious reasons.

hi everyone,

thanks for all the help, just another quick question is there another vert that anyone would recommend besides the fougerolles?

riotous

p.s. jack i hope its a wee bit more than 12% tastier, i've drank a whole lot of raki in m day...

I don't know that I could call the Duplais "good"... unless I was comparing it with a 'sinth advertised on an obnoxious radio show. The Duplais is not a crappy product, it's just not very good.

Jack, you've said some enigmatic things about Arak. In general I think I have an idea where you put it in the hierarchy of available commercial anise drinks. But do you drink the stuff? Is it something you keep around your house, and does the level go down?

Here is The Hierarchy, in order of preference:

The best Artisinal Absinthes

The best Vintage Commercial Absinthes

Mediocre Artisinal Absinthes

Best Commercial Absinthes

Arak, or Raki

Mediocre Commercial Absinthes

The Best Commercial Pastis

Crap