Sign in to follow this  
Père Ubu

Hello from South East TX

Hello, my name is Miguel, I am from Rosharon, TX, and I met the green fairy recently.

I have been summer time pastis drinker for over 15 years. It was my 'watch Lance win the tour drink'. I also enjoyed it when visiting Beziers, Fr. A bit over a year ago I wikied pastis, and found it was nothing but a substitute for an unfairly banned drink. I felt as shocked as when Wikipidea told me Carlos Castaneda and Jimmy Page were big plagiarizing frauds after all. Then I hit the blue underlined word "Absinthe"

I was intrigued. I read and lurked like crazy. In the end, the thought of spending $80 on a bottle I might hate scared me off at a time of tight living. Two weeks ago I was at the supermarket while visiting my dad in Nawlins, when he said "Choose a bottle of absitnhe, and let's try it". There was a small shelf with various brands, and all my brain could remember was that there were some very good, and some very bad absnitnhes, and that the one with the cat eyes was considered an absinthe for newbies. We took the Lucid home, and left a bottle of Pacifique looking forlorn on the shelf. It came with a spoon, but I remembered reviews stating not to use sugar with it, or to use too much watter. I drizzled water from a chilled Kentwood bottle using the spoon to break up the stream, and created a 3:1 mix for both of us.

Wow!!

I liked it a LOT more than pastis, and will very likely donate my half finished bottle of Richard to my brother, who will learn of the green fairy soon, when he visits our old man. You cannot compare pastis and absinthe , the way you cannot compare watching the tribute band Beatlemania at your local auditorium, to being one of the folks witnessing the rooftop concert at Abbey Road Studios.

Having re lurked again, I applied to the WS, but being impatien,t ordered some glasses, spoons, and a bottle of Pacifique from a lady with a nice website up ion the catskills. I look forward to trying more USA absinthes, and some of the finer offerings from the nice Acadian man who knocked some sense into the TABC. I'm also curious about the new/old pastis from nawlins.

Thank you for all the advice I lurked out.

Hello & welcome! I'm guessing you ordered from Catskill Cellars; They are great to do business with, and they also carry Delaware Phoenix absinthes. I highly recommend trying one of them for your next purchase!

:cheers:

Welcome! Now go back and get that Pacifique!

On its way from the Catskills. I could have waited for my bro to return from nawlins, but I need another date with the fairy soon.

Sure will Marc.

Seeker, he liked it, but I don't think it's his cup of tea. On the other band my pastis drinking brother is very intrigued. Would be just the thing while relaxing during his semi-yearly vacation in Langedoc.

Now, where are you again, in.......respect to the red river and I-35? :)

Texas is a pretty good sized state, or republic.......depends on the politics.

:laugh:

I'm in Brazoria County, 15 minutes south of Houston.

I celebrate independence day (02 March 1836) by putting the 'Come and take it' flag as my pc desktop. :-)

Howdy. Any luck beating absinthe sense into local stores here in TX?

Some, it's not easy.

Btw......AvantGarden in Houston April 9th, rumor has it a famous absinthe drinking chemist, and an obsessed Herbsaint collector will be entertaining crowd at an exhibit of absinthe photo art.

Never heard of it before, but by the powers of Google and the intraweb, it sure looks like a nice place. Now I'm tempted to visit.

Howdy! I must admit, that as a brewer I'm a failure. But my wife got pretty good before the kiddos arrived. thankfully there is an outfit in Blanco, TX that takes care of that for me.

Thinking about it, since there is wine growing in the hill country, it would not be a half bad place for a absinthe producer to set up an expansion shop. That way when I retire, I can move out there and be their janitor. :)