Improvidius

Can I get some Thujones?!?!1?!

KIDDING! I'm kidding, seriously, just kidding!

I'd just like to drink some pure wormwood oil...KIDDING, seriously...

Anyway, I am very thankful I've found this society. I've finally gotten serious about absinthe. I've only had a couple basic absinthe brands - lucid and Kübler, but today I'm going to get my first bottle of Pacifique, and I am extremely excited.

I've discovered my love for anise based drinks on my latest trip to Europe when I fell in love with pastis, but actually didn't get any absinthe until I got back and purchased a bottle of Lucid a few weeks ago. I have known about Absinthe for years - and on a previous trip to Europe 5 years ago I ignorantly brought back a bottle of what I *thought* was Absinthe, turns out it was some of that Hapsburg crap, but me and my friends drank all of that anyway. Then, my boss had a party 2 years ago and purchased some Kübler and put together a small absinthe bar. I was still drinking absinthe with sugar around this time.

When I bought a bottle of Lucid a couple weeks ago, I discovered I do not need sugar in absinthe - when I add sugar, no matter how long I take to drip the water over it and no matter how long I stir the sugar it always tastes separate from the absinthe - and when I tried it without sugar I knew I'd never add sugar to another glass of absinthe as, at least for my palette, sugar is completely unnecessary in real absinthe. This was confirmed for me when this past Sunday I ordered a Kübler in a restaurant - (which btw it is a wonderful thing that absinthe can now be ordered in a restaurant), and I requested it without sugar. It tasted wonderful, but at the same time I WANT DESPERATELY to taste the brands above Kübler and Lucid, hence my going out to buy a bottle of Pacifique today. My wife isn't too keen on me spending a $50-100 on bottles of absinthe, so I sell crap on ebay to pay for my new absinthe passion - I highly recommend this method of funding an Absinthe (addiction) hobby. My next purchase with my ebay sales will be Clandestine.

And a question about pastis on this website - WHY ARE YOU COMPARING IT TO ABSINTHE? In the review section this is done - and this makes no sense whatsoever. No pastis has ever said it was absinthe, I don't understand this. Pastis' are wonderful, Pernod and Richard while maybe not the greatest things in the universe, are ok pastis. And neither one of them has ever made a claim to have anything to do with absinthe, the only relation they have is they are distilled from botanicals and they louche. It is because I drank Pernod and Richard all throughout my Europe trip that I came home and re-discovered and re-educated myself on absinthe. The reviews for pastis on here need to be redone - don't try and drink and compare them as they are an absinthe, drink them for what they are - pastis!

Also, while drinking pastis is when I made the connection with any so-called "secondary" effects - personally, according to the way my body/brain reacts anyway, I think a drink distilled from botanicals and the adding of water will give you that crisp alertness feeling in addition to the happy feelings of the alcohol content - and that's all that happens. I think the addition of the water is what helps abate any potential hangover (but only to an extent...).

Anyway, thank you all for this excellent website, and I hope to be a contributing member for a long time to come as I taste and grow my palette with more and more absinthe.

If you're in Chicago, you can order absinthe now in some restaurants - but you risk getting ripped off - stay away from Bistro 110 downtown, this "french" restaurant is a joke, I ordered a Richard (I was unaware they had absinthe) and the server had no idea what the hell I was talking about - some great staff training there when they don't know what is pretty much the national drink of France. Then I saw they had Lucid on the menu - for $14 a glass, which I felt was too much for a fake french restaurant. [i had been to this place a few times before in years past when they were a real french place, they've gone downhill]. I do however, recommend heading up to the Andersonville neighborhood and trying a place called Big Jones. Excellent creole cuisine - and you can get a glass of Kübler for $9! And they actually know what absinthe is, and for one of the few times in my life I actually sounded like I knew what I was talking about when I requested they serve it to me without sugar.

Welcome! :cheers:

And a question about pastis on this website - WHY ARE YOU COMPARING IT TO ABSINTHE? In the review section this is done - and this makes no sense whatsoever.

Because pastis was invented to take the place of absinthe and it gives people a frame of reference.

No pastis has ever said it was absinthe, I don't understand this.
Actually, yes they have. There are still products out there that qualify as pastis but not as absinthe and use the term absinthe on the label.

There are still products out there that qualify as pastis but not as absinthe and use the term absinthe on the label.

Is that you speaking, Bogumil? :devil:

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg

Welcome aboard :)

they don't know what is pretty much the national drink of France

Hell, the French don't know either, they think it's wine, for some unknown reason

Luscious Oily Lesbians!, yes, yes of course. Other than wine then perhaps.

Welcome! :cheers:

And a question about pastis on this website - WHY ARE YOU COMPARING IT TO ABSINTHE? In the review section this is done - and this makes no sense whatsoever.

Because pastis was invented to take the place of absinthe and it gives people a frame of reference.

Ok, yes I understand this, but (to me anyway) it shouldn't be judged as an absinthe.

No pastis has ever said it was absinthe, I don't understand this.
Actually, yes they have. There are still products out there that qualify as pastis but not as absinthe and use the term absinthe on the label.

Ok, I understand this too. I guess maybe I'm just sensitive about my love of pastis - as I do fully support the education aim of the wormwood society and to publicly debunk any of the garbage out there that masquerades as absinthe.

I guess maybe I'm just sensitive about my love of pastis - as I do fully support the education aim of the wormwood society and to publicly debunk any of the garbage out there that masquerades as absinthe.

Ditto all that.

But as G~ said, it gives a frame of reference which was especially helpful only a couple of years ago when absinthe was not so easily found. Even liquor stores and bars without an absinthe still may have HB or Pernod.

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

Welcome! Thanks for picking up the Pacifique ;)

BTW, I don't know where you're getting your Pacifique, but Binny's is local to Chicago and carries it, but maybe you already knew that.

Cheers,

Marc

Welcome to the forum :wave2: I've only had one small glass of Pacifique so far so I can't really rant about it yet. What I can say is that you're going to like the Clandestine.... Kübler will never seem the same after that.

The little sample I had of Pacifique was quite nice. It will be on my next order from DUNY.

Oh yeah. Howdy Podner. :cheers:

BTW, I don't know where you're getting your Pacifique, but Binny's is local to Chicago and carries it, but maybe you already knew that.

Cheers,

Marc

Yup, that is exactly where I just went and bought it, in fact I'm drinking a glass of it right now! Binny's has it at a very good price of $59.99. It is clearly different and a clear step above what I've had thus far. Its beyond that, its basically what I've experienced in Lucid and Kübler but waaaaay more. In my limited knowledge and absinthe-palate this does what those brands do but much, much better and deeper yet more perfectly balanced. I love the mouth feel and and could detect the creamyness, really, really nice. I can taste more earthiness and a sweet characteristic in the nose...stuff I just can't quite describe quite yet but really, really like.

Do you suggest sugar? Do you drink it without sugar? Just curious, I'm drinking this right now sans sugar, but this tastes (unlike the others i've tried) that the sugar could potentially complement it rather than just being a separate taste in the glass.

Welcome, Improvidius! :wave2:

A good dose of humor is almost as tasty as a good dose of absinthe. I'm glad that you have both on hand!

With regard to sugar, you'll discover that many modern absintheurs, particularly in this forum, enjoy their absinthe without sugar (although that was not the case during the Belle Epoque - just ask Absomphe). Personally, I usually prefer about half a teaspoon of agave nectar or syrup instead of the traditional sugar cube because I've found that it adds a little bit of body to the absinthe without compromising the flavor profile or being distracting. I suppose I have the truly old-school sweet tooth that many do not, but I recommend trying your absinthe both ways to discover which way YOU prefer. It's your booze, after all :cheers:

Do you suggest sugar? Do you drink it without sugar? Just curious, I'm drinking this right now sans sugar, but this tastes (unlike the others i've tried) that the sugar could potentially complement it rather than just being a separate taste in the glass.

I do prefer sugar, not just with Pacifique, but with all real absinthe. I not only like the sweetness that sugar affords to absinthe, but I think it gives your absinthe a certain velvety mouthfeel.

If you find yourself in the Seattle area, drop me a line and I can arrange a visit to the distillery.

Greetings! :wave2: Pacifique is one of my favorite absinthes to imbibe and introduce others who have tried an absinthe or two, to.

Personally my use of sugar is brand/mood spacifique ;) I feel that sugar is a nice balance to the bitterness that wormwood brings, though I very rarely ever use a whole sugar cube. My advise to you when you are trying a new brand for the first time is using different ratios of water to absinthe (3:1, 4:1, 5:1) before using sugar. You'll know if you've made a glass too strong or too weak based upon your own palate and personal preference. Then add sugar to taste as you see fit. Welcome to the WS! :cheers:

Cheers,

Marc

Yup, Binny's is a good source for Pacifique in Chicagoland. I have picked some up there when I was in town.

... because Minnesota has no such luck. Blast it.

Hello & welcome! Pacifique is certainly good stuff...As for sugar, I used to try a glass each of sugared & non-sugared whenever I bought a new brand, to compare the flavor difference. Now, though, I go almost exclusively sugarless, and light on the water, as well. I just prefer a stronger, less sweet drink. :cheers:

Here you go! Just for shits and giggles, I did a "buy thujone" search on Google. This is a screenshot of one of the ads! Knock yourself out! :tongue:

thujone.jpg

Oh WOW! Thanks, I now see I wasted my money on a bottle of pacifique, I could have bought this instead, it has a beetle inside! That means it must have lotsa thujones, right?!

http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe-a...eetle-p-73.html