Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Ouraline glass

Hi guys, I needed to make room for the final couple pieces for my book, and this one had to go, and is one I thought someone here might like. It is the almost exactly the same size and shape as an East glass, but made of thinner and lighter glass, with no dose line. The dealer in the UK I got if from told me it was late 1800s French. It glows like a mutha under black light.

I'm only asking $45 "buy it now" including shipping, which is what I paid for it. If this were a real heavily made ouraline East glass, it would be worth 20 times this price...it's just a nice large glass in the style of an East, and it needs a home.

All the best, Scott

Glass

I'm curious, why tell us about this auction and not give us a heads up when you sell your topettes on eBay? The topettes have a genuine absinthe connection and it seems like you'd want to make those auctions known too.

Edited by Phoenix

I was wondering if that was an absinthe glass. my antique collection is small, but I remember buying a glass similar to that a few years ago from France for around 21 dollars after shipping. Unfortunately that glass is no longer living. :no:

Hey Phoenix, I don't know...I'm just trying to find a home for this because I haven't been using it, I thought it was cool and someone here might like it. I never thought of mentioning the final two duplicate topettes I had here on the forum because I figured most of the folks here who look on Ebay would see them, as "absinthe" was in the titles for those. I had a couple doubles, and now they're gone. I really don't have anything left to sell thank God, nor do I want to after this.

This glass, as you can see, has no "absinthe" in the title, as I did not want to misrepresent it in any way. I figured folks here would likely not see it for this reason, and was just shooting a heads-up. I found it from a dealer in the UK and thought I might be scoring an absinthe glass, alas, it was not meant to be, but it was worth a shot. It is not the 40s stuff, but circa 1890-1900 from France, from what I was told. This does make it a lot nicer than the later stuff made in the States. If nobody wants it, that's fine...if it doesn't sell, I'll just shove the glasses together a bit tighter and stick it back on the shelf!

Marc and I discussed it a few months ago, and he agrees it is likely not an absinthe glass due to the lighter weight and thinner glass. Leroy, you're about right...I've seen one other like this in Euro ebay for 20 euros or so, but it didn't include shipping, nor did mine. French post is about 10-15 euros or so to ship to the States, which is what happened to me. The buy it now price may not even cover my costs once the new free shipping is figured in...I thought asking more was just not appropriate, and losing a buck or two doesn't matter if someone likes it and will use it.

It ain't about the money boys and girls. Tell you what...if it doesn't sell by tomorrow when the auction's over, and someone here wants it, send me your address and it's yours! really. I just want someone to have it who will like it and use it!

-Scott

Have a good night gentlemen

Leroy, you're about right...I've seen one other like this in Euro ebay for 20 euros or so, but it didn't include shipping, nor did mine. French post is about 10-15 euros or so to ship to the States, which is what happened to me. The buy it now price may not even cover my costs once the new free shipping is figured in...I thought asking more was just not appropriate, and losing a buck or two doesn't matter if someone likes it and will use it.

Actually, My final price to get it to my door from France was 21US Dollars.

where are you guys finding all these great deals in/from France? everything i see from there is sky high and then shipping on top of it.........ugh!!

Hey Rammer, You may already be aware of this, but he best stuff is expensive for a reason. There's so much mid-level stuff, and many of the things labeled as absinthe glasses for instance, are not really absinthe glasses at all. For example, some reservoir glasses are described on Ebay as Pontarlier glasses, which they are not! They are nice, yes, but mislabeled. This is also true of all kinds of crazy things that are called absinthe spoons, advertising pieces, etc, when they have nothing to do with absinthe. There are also fake spoons, glasses, pitchers, carafes with fake etching, and repros of rare pieces.

The best pieces can cost a lot because they have been bought and validated by guys who are experts...there can be a premium for this, and it is deserved. Yes, you can score a nice piece on EBAY that is real and amazing, but it is getting harder to do, and you may get something you didn't bargain for unless you've really developed a good eye. :cheers:

Hey Rammer, You may already be aware of this, but he best stuff is expensive for a reason. There's so much mid-level stuff, and many of the things labeled as absinthe glasses for instance, are not really absinthe glasses at all. For example, some reservoir glasses are described on Ebay as Pontarlier glasses, which they are not! They are nice, yes, but mislabeled. This is also true of all kinds of crazy things that are called absinthe spoons, advertising pieces, etc, when they have nothing to do with absinthe. There are also fake spoons, glasses, pitchers, carafes with fake etching, and repros of rare pieces.

The best pieces can cost a lot because they have been bought and validated by guys who are experts...there can be a premium for this, and it is deserved. Yes, you can score a nice piece on EBAY that is real and amazing, but it is getting harder to do, and you may get something you didn't bargain for unless you've really developed a good eye. :cheers:

thank you, scott. you are right that unless you are well informed, you can be lead astray very very easily..............that is why i've just gone for the cheaper repros. at least i know that they are repros and are priced accordingly. i've gone to flea markets here in the naples area (italy). but italy is not rich in absinthe history.......so i've found nothing so far..... but i'll keep looking.......... thanks again for the info!!

Remember, it doesn't have to be an official absinthe glass to be enjoyed, if you have a connection with it. It's a big world!

There are lots of cool glasses from the 30s-50s too, very cool retro designs, that have ridges and chambers that can serve as doses once you figure out where the measures are. A lot of my first ouraline glasses were like this, and the absinthe tasted pretty good in them! It's all about what makes you happy, and enriches the experience for you and your friends! :)

Phoenix was right when he first called my attention to all the intentionally mislabeled "absinthe" stuff out there...those vendors should not be supported. However, there's some mighty cool stuff if you search vaseline glass, carnival glass, canary glass and depression glass...most of it really inexpensive too.