Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

La Grenouille

And, available at your local Great American Absinthe Festival! :laugh:

So...

Where in Whatcom County, Washington is this alleged Great American Absinthe Festival™, anyway, huh? :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

Second batch is easily recognizable, it comes in a new bottle style. First batch was bottled into simple and classic wine bottles (like the one on jcbphd's photo in this topic), new batch got more feminine-like shape (see our web).

I was wondering why the bottle is different. Up until this last week I had only gotten to try the second batch, but got to compare it against the first batch a few days ago. The latest batch seems a bit less camphorous, and it lets through a lot more of the complexity. It's one of my current favorites in my cupboard. :thumbup:

Drinking L'Italienne is almost like quaffing an edible perfume, in the literal sense, La Grenouille is every bit as innovative, but there is that familiar candied anise (and citrus underpinning) that builds as you sip it, and balances the elements of perfume, mallow, lilac, and even jasmine./ And it's the extremely dry and very flowery perfume, as well as a mallowy flavor that sets La Grenouille apart from the more traditional French/Swiss absinthes.

After having tried a sample of the L'Ancienne, and being a bit shocked by how different it was, I wanted to try another of Stefano's absinthes.To see if I was missing something. At first, as with the L'Ancienne, I was overwhelmed by how "perfumy" it is. I think my first impressions were "toothpaste and my grandpa's aftershave". But after a few glasses I can see it is an excellently crafted absinthe. And it is becoming noticeably (to me), more floral and spicy now. And I think I also "get it" now. Instead of a French/Swiss style, as Absomphe said above, it is more of an Italian interpretation of absinthe. I'm good with that. i can appreciate it in that way better. I like the aroma more now than at first glass, as well as the flavor. It makes for an excellent "last glass" of the evening. Just not one I would start out with, owing to it's very unique profile. As someone else told me "It's not one I would reach for all the time", I can agree with that. But it is one i'm very glad to have and will enjoy immensely, it just may last me a little longer than my favorites. And who knows, it may just become one of my favorites over time. It also makes me want to give the L'Ancienne another try. I'm flexible like that, and learning more everyday.

Edited by Songcatcher

It's always interesting how our perceptions shift back and forth as we sample more and more absinthes. There have been some I hated at first that I now love, and ones I thought were great, that I can't go near anymore. Our palates are constantly evolving, and how certain elements make us feel changes as well. The biggest one I can mention is a common experience for many: The first few glasses you drink, really have a powerful anise and fennel that many call "licorice." That's certainly how I felt. The more absinthe you drink, the less you notice that, as we become more and more aware of the herbal nuances, florals, citrus, spice, etc... I've seen this happen over and over again with the friends I've introduced to absinthe, and they tell me it happens to the folks they share with as well. On much more subtle levels, those changes likely never stop occurring. That's why unless something is simply rat's-ass toxic, I don't sink the bottle. Once or twice, a revisit a year or so later has surprised me.

Stefano's offerings sure taste different than others to me, but I do like them quite a bit, especially L'Ancienne. I love to watch L'Ancienne louche when backlit, it is pure magic. I agree about La Grenouille, its spiciness makes it a rare treat, but when you want that treat, it sure fits the bill. I find NO to be kind of like that.

I ordered two bottles of La Grenouille in the beginning of October; now I'm regretting not ordering more. Easily one of my three favorite absinthes.

Just tried this, first thing I thought of was nutmeg, someone else mentioned allspice. This is my Christmas cookie absinthe. Love it! La Grenouille

La Grenouille is by far one of my favorite absinthes, I just received the two bottles I ordered (along with one Butterfly and one Jade VS 1898). I wonder if I like it so much because I'm Italian.

Sure is and remember, despite Martin selling it, it was originally Stefano's recipe.

Edited by greytail

One of my favorites as well. I have 2 bottles that I made shelf space for. It's nicely balanced with just a little spiciness in the right place.

Along with L'Ancienne I also decided to suspend indefinitely the production of La Grenouille. Once whatever is already bottled and available is over there will be no more.

I posted this on the Grenouille FB page but it's mysteriously down, so I'm posting it here too.

Again, thank you all for the support!

Welp, I was thinking of ordering a bottle at some point in July, but I just panicked and ordered 3 so I'll have enough for a long time.

Thanks for the great drink Stefano, good luck in all your future endeavors.

I picked up a few bottles to be sure i could try it before it disappears. Shame it's been discontinued. I would definitely keep this in my cabinet and doubt i will have the restraint to not consume both bottles. Think a few more bottles may make their way onto my next order to hide away.

Along with L'Ancienne I also decided to suspend indefinitely the production of La Grenouille. Once whatever is already bottled and available is over there will be no more.

I posted this on the Grenouille FB page but it's mysteriously down, so I'm posting it here too.

Again, thank you all for the support!

Oh, that's too bad. Why is that?

I've one unopened bottle of L'Ancienne left. Maybe I'll hold onto it indefinitely.