Sign in to follow this  
Leichenwagen

Berthe de Joux on its way!

Just ordered 3 bottles of Berthe de Joux from Emile Pernot( 10% off) and a bottle of Creme de Violette to get the order over 200$. They were more than accommodating in supplying a significantly lowered receipt for customs and as I was one of the early buyers of the set was gifted with a free absinthe see-saw dripper (score!). Until March 9th, orders of the BDJ set will receive a free glass and spoon.

It's been many a moon since my last absinthe order, thankfully my wife took pity on me and my dwindling bottles ( most now possessing an ounce or two) and let me take advantage of the special offer. I hope all the high praise for BDJ is warranted.

Allow me to compliment you on your brilliantly thrifty shopping and fine taste in absinthe.

(I too took advantage of their sale a few days ago ;))

As for the BdJ, I didn't find it to be the mind-blowingly, better-than-preban drink that some folks did, but I enjoyed it very much (obviously enough to buy 3 more bottles). If you happen to think it's the end-all, be-all absinthe, well hey, that's just a bonus! :cheers:

Well, This'll be my first BDJ purchase and likely the last absinthe purchase for another 6-10 months or so . Purchasing a house tends to cut back on the luxuries in life. The funny thing is my wife who used to enjoy absinthe now finds it irritates her stomach so a single bottle can last a fair time now that I'm the only one drinking it and if I limit myself.

I've still yet to try Jade ( my next purchase) although I have tried about a dozen or more absinthes. Thanks to this site I've only made one misstep in my purchases by giving the Hieronymous Bosch absinthe a go which despite being an anise bomb actually makes a passable "Death in the Afternoon".

Some of my favorites are:

A.O Spare ( have a bottle aging until 2020)

VDF verte and blanche

François Guy ( gotta love liter bottles at that price)

Duplais Verte & Balance

La Traditionalle ( great wormwood up front)

I'm still hoping some the American offerings will start shipping overseas ( C'mon guys get with it!).

As for the BdJ, I didn't find it to be the mind-blowingly, better-than-preban drink that some folks did...

Me neither. I was actually pretty disappointed in this one. It seems to be cut from the same cloth as the VP, which I feel is actually a more enjoyable absinthe. However, both of these have some flavor component that just isn't real agreeable to me. It's so very interesting to read reviews about different absinthes and then to finally taste them for yourself. Like everything else, it's definitely a 'to each his own' thing. Now, where is that PF 1901... (excuse me, JL 1901)

I bought two bottles and drank them pretty readily, but I think the hype was a bit much, making the product itself difficult to live up to it. That said, I'd buy it again, but there are others I put way ahead of it. It's definitely in the top 10 CO's I've had, but in comparison to a few others, I might reach elsewhere depending on what was available. Maybe I just wore myself out on it. And maybe I should revisit my original post on what I thought when it first showed up on the scene.

I am nearing the end of my first bottle and think it is a fantastic absinthe, but actually tend to favor the Perroquet, which seems to not be usual among WS members. Although there are days when the BdJ is my favorite. I would highly recommend both.

...actually tend to favor the Perroquet, which seems to not be usual among WS members.

I don't know if it's "usual" among members here, but that's my preference as well. I like BdJ fine; it's probably the best example of its type I've had. Unlike WR Jr., I vastly prefer it to VP and think it's more balanced and refined than Doubs too.

To each his own! :cheers:

WOW...I ordered the 3 bottle LBDJ special 5 days ago from Pernot, along with some Doubs, and it came today! I was blown away at how fast it came. I was also the first to place an order after their e-mail, and a 1000 cl bottle of the newly revamped Emile 45 was in the box gratis. I couldn't wait to try it, and just prepped a half-glass. I never had the orig, but this is pretty good stuff for $63 per liter. I can see this being a low priced daily go to for many folks. When you're close to the free shipping but need something else to get it up there, it might be worth trying this. I'll louche up a full glass tonight and spend more time with it.

at 45%, you can pour a pretty big glass... :drunk: BTW, I too, am very fond of Pernot's parrot.

I just ordered 4 bottles of La Grenouille from Rue Verte.

Having absolutely loved Stefano's prototype, I'm really excited to try the (technically) Czech commercial version that Stefano also distilled.

(Yeah, I know this the BdJ thread, but I 'm feeling far too inertia-ridden this afternoon to start a new one.) :dry:

I'm not fond of the ending in "Y" days, preferring days where the 3rd letter from the end is a "D."

Damned long haired commie pinko libtards. :laf: :heart: :cheers:

WOW...I ordered the 3 bottle LBDJ special 5 days ago from Pernot, along with some Doubs, and it came today! I was blown away at how fast it came. I was also [one of] the first [three] to place an order after their e-mail, and a 1000 cl bottle of the newly revamped Emile 45 was in the box gratis. I couldn't wait to try it, and just prepped a [EXPLETIVE}-glass. I never had the orig, but this is pretty good stuff for $63 per liter. I can see this being a low priced daily go to for many folks. When you're close to the free shipping but need something else to get it up there, it might be worth trying this. I'll louche up a full glass tonight and spend more time with it.

Ditto, except with a couple of amendments. The Un Emile was powerfully flowery, and not in a bad way. I wish I had had a sample of the original to provide a comparison to, but regardless, this is good stuff. I'd definitely use $63 to buy it again instead of a bottle of Lucid (and Lucid isn't bad, IMO, just mediocre).

Cheers to your good fortune and mine, Scott! :cheers:

Well, my package arrived on Friday and lo and behold I was charged with no duty! Perhaps this was due to the packing slip being labelled "collectible flasks and dripper"(smart!) that it slipped by Korea's normally watchful customs agents. The dripper is fascinating to watch and BDJ is also quite nice. Nice pontalier wormwood up front that filled the room when I cracked the bottle. I wouldn't reccommend whacking the top of wax seal with a spoon unless you have a towel over it or something as it sent red pieces of wax all over the kitchen. Next bottle, I'll try the hot water suggestion instead.

At any rate, wonderful service and fast shipping from Emile Pernot was much appreciated as well as the dripper bonus gift. I'll be doing business with them again.

Oh yes forgot to mention the Creme de Violette. I need to get some marachino liquour such as Luxardo to try a cocktail I've always wanted to sample which is the Aviation. Drinking neat the Violette was odd to say the least . I think I'd rather pour it in my bathwater.The flowery aroma was much prevalent in the room even after the small sampling glass was finished and stayed that way for several hours. definitely an acquired taste.

Hi All! Haven't been here in awhile! I ordered the BDJ special too! I haven't received it yet?? : ( I'm hoping it comes today!! I will be getting a free dripper too and can't wait to use it and re-taste the BDJ. The only time I tried it was at the catskill event and thought it was delicious!! Hope I enjoy it as much this time around!! :)

The violette is gorgeous stuff, but a little bit goes a long way--which is the case with every other violette I've sampled.

Next time, try putting your bottle of absinthe in a plastic bag before you start tapping away at the wax. It helps minimize the mess.

Edited by AiO

As far as the red wax, this time I simply grabbed the cork and gently twisted, and the wax just broke easily...no fuss. All the little pieces wound up in my hand.