absinthe_film

Absinthe documentary feature film

That is odd. I've seen places that say 1912 and some saying 1914 as the year absinthe was banned in the US (1912 coming from the most credible sources), but that's the first time I've seen 1910.

Thanks for the interest in our film.

Ugh, Food Inspection Decision, 1912.

The film aims to be the definitive history on the subject. The trailer - apparently not so much.

Beg your pardon...

The film will be available through other outlets (hulu, netflix streaming) within the next few months.

"The Secretary of Agriculture, therefore, will regard as adulterated under the Food and Drugs Act absinth which, on and after October 1, 1912, is manufactured or offered for sale in the District of Columbia or the Territories, or shipped in interstate commerce or offered for importation into the United States."

I would interpret that as meaning absinthe could not be made/sold in DC and the territories, or shipped from State to State, or imported? What are/were the territories?

In early 1912, these are the territories:

800px-United_States_1912-01-1912-02.png

This seems to confirm that absinthe that was already in a State (as opposed to the territories) could still be sold there, and absinthe could still be produced in the States, but not shipped from one to the other. In other words, absinthe was only effectively banned when prohibition came in, and not in 1912. I am not an expert on the US Constitution, so it would be great to have some clarification on this.

Plenty of friendly faces... and familiar places. If you've participated much in absinthe, it's like flipping through an absinthe yearbook. But I don't think it has the visual and theatrical impact that someone new to absinthe could invest an hour and some change watching. I hope that isn't taken more critically than I intended. I think it's a very enjoyable movie. I'm also very glad it isn't dubbed where the native french is spoken... which is often.

The content is there. You'll witness interviews with nearly most of the central figures whose books and distilled spirits you've seen and continue to see discussed here and now on these boards. If the feature has a circa 2007-ish feel, it's focused on absinthe before the advent of commercial American absinthe... and the shift that occurred around that time on these boards away from topics that were entirely concerned with the availability of absinthes of Swiss/French origin.

I think many of you will enjoy it too.

I got to see the first half last night and it was decent. They even said that absinthe was banned in the US in 1912. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish the movie and I'd have to pay a second time to watch the second half. Stupid Playstation Network. :thumbdown:

EDIT: Fortune smiled upon me and I was able to get back to my PS3 and finish it before I'd have to rent it again.

I thought the documentary took on a very "home movies" feeling at times. I enjoyed that aspect as I'm familiar with most all the names, but haven't met any of them or even heard most of them speak. I thought it made it a little more personal, but as Grim mentioned, it could be tough for someone completely new to absinthe to get in to. The absinthe history was spot on so I think anyone with a budding interest in absinthe could benefit greatly from watching this.

Edited by Phoenix

But it says 1910 in an old-timey, silent-movie style font. It must be true!

Sounds like I'll have to check it out. :cheers:

Thanks for the interest in our film.

Ugh, Food Inspection Decision, 1912.

The film aims to be the definitive history on the subject. The trailer - apparently not so much.

Beg your pardon...

The film will be available through other outlets (hulu, netflix streaming) within the next few months.

Who said we were interested?

I'm not. I bore easy. And this? Booooooring.

Now, a movie about a loincloth-wearing hot Celtish chic hacking away at Romans... Bare-chested?

Sir, you have my attention.

(snip)

Now, a movie about a loincloth-wearing hot Celtish chic hacking away at Romans...(snip) .

My boat is named for her ^^...

....just saw the documentary. Thanks for referring it and Hulu. Enjoyed very much.

Yes, it is Euro-centric, but a lot of the movie was shot before 2007; Ted's segments were filmed well before that.

There are other USA absinthes besides Lucid.
I don't think Viridian would consider Lucid to be a USA absinthe.

Kinda Euro-centric regarding absinthe IMHO. There are other USA absinthes besides Lucid.

It's French absinthe, they are welcome to take credit for it. :)