• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sneezy Badger

Sneezy Badger

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some advice and recommendations for my next absinthe purchases.

As I'm in Australia, the range is quite limited – most liquor stores sell a bottle or two of Czech absinth, but there are a few places that sell authentic Absinthe. The Absinthe Salon obviously sells the high quality selection, and Nicks Wine Merchants seems to have a decent range (although I'm wary of their prices – Jade Verte Suisse 65 for $299 a bottle?!)

I'm quite confused about the regulations regarding importing Absinthe here, but I'm considering getting some bottles shipped over if possible. My parents are also coming over in a month, so I'm thinking of asking them to bring it over in their luggage if they can take do it without getting in trouble.

Anyway – onto my selections. I was considering ordering from Rueverte.com, and getting St Antoine (3rd or 7th edition), Eichelberger 68 Limitée, and the Absinthexplore Discovery set (as it will give me a idea of 3 other absinthes, and add a new spoon to my collection. Depending on my finances, I might be limited to just one of the bottles. What do you think of the selection, and has anyone had experience with dealing with Rueverte.com?

I'll also going to get a bottle of Moulin Rooz from Tambourine Mountain Distillery, as it's an Aussie absinthe and I want to support local industy.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

-Graham

#2 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:39 AM

You can't really go wrong with Absinthe Salon.

Ordering from outside Australia can be difficult, and most European shippers don't sell to Australian consumers. Customs can - and do - intercept bottles and ask for thujone and santonin certification.

I've travelled to Australia with absinthe in my luggage, but it's still a risk without certification, and your parents should theoretically declare any absinthe they bring in. Again they may be asked for certification.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:12 AM

Make sure to post a review of Rooz, since we don't have any yet. In fact, do one for each of the bottles you buy!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,753 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

Since you're planning on ordering from Rue Verte, I'd recommend ordering the La Grenouille. It's technically a Czeh Absinthe, but it was actually distilled there by an incredibly talented Italian distiller. A few of us have tasted the prototype, and it was beautifully idiosyncratic with an almost marshmallow-like underpinning that worked perfectly with Stefano's herb bill. So far, we have no review for the commercial version either, so feel free to post yours if you decide to go for a bottle. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 Sneezy Badger

Sneezy Badger

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

Brian: I'll definitely write reviews of all the brands I try - I don't really have much experience with identifying and describing flavours, so the reviews might not be as detailed as others on the site. I should get a WS tasting journal ;)

Absomphe: I did look at La Grenouille, but I wasn't sure about the "southern herbs" used in it. If you think it would be a good choice for a novice absinthe drinker like me, I might add it to the list.

Alan: Thanks for the information. My wife brought over a bottle of Absinthe for me last Christmas, complete with attached spoon, and didn't have any trouble but I'm wary of giving my parents additional stress. I'm looking into the various aspects of getting absinthe into Australia, and if I find out anything more I'll post it on the forum.

#6 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Don't worry about trying to pick apart an absinthe scientifically. Just describe what you taste, in whatever terms come to you. If you taste lemon drops just say you taste lemon drops. Nobody will think that's actually in it.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

I did look at La Grenouille, but I wasn't sure about the "southern herbs" used in it. If you think it would be a good choice for a novice absinthe drinker like me, I might add it to the list.

It is excellent.

Just describe what you taste, in whatever terms come to you. If you taste lemon drops just say you taste lemon drops.

Exactly. I prefer those types of reviews anyway.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, they excite the imagination more and aren't so academic to read.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#9 Nouveau

Nouveau

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

Hi Graham .......and fellow wormwoodians.....

I have not posted here for a very long time but have been keeping up with the forum as much as possible since we have become so extremely busy with Absinthesalon in Surry Hills so I guess this is as good a time as any to start posting again.

Since you are in Sydney Graham, you really must make your way over to us to have a chat and a taste so you will see and appreciate just how many fine absinthes we do have available in Australia. We have 24 at the Salon, all French and Swiss, Eichelberger being just one of them. We have been open over a year now and have had over 14,000 happy absintheurs through, all drinking absinthe in the traditional fashion...only with water.

In your post you wrote that you like to support the local industry by purchasing some Moulin Rooz.... It would also be nice to support the local industry who imports the fine absinthes here :wave2:

Granted that the taxes are very high here on absinthe because of the alcohol content but as Alan :heart: states, it is a touch and go affair when buying online and shipping to Australia. As a boutique importer we also have many other under bond storage costs etc to contend with.

In regard to other retailers stocking quality absinthe here....there is no recommended retail price, retailers can basically sell a product such as absinthe for however much they choose and they often do. They can make alot more of a profit on absinthe than they do on wine and beer. This is why we stock most of the absinthes on the website so our customers have no legislative or governmental problems in procuring their desired drop and the prices can be kept at reasonable rate icluding all the taxes etc.

Anyway ....drop me a line or come by and see us...we are more than happy to enlighten your soul with absinthe.

All the best........Gaye and Joop.
www.absinthesalon.com.au Purveyor of quality absinthes in Australia. Sydney boutique and licensed salon now open in Surry Hills.

#10 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

The link for Absinthe Salon is hard to spot in this thread, so just to make it more visible
http://www.absinthesalon.com.au/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association