• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Ok, anyone else brave enough? I never thought I'd try it, never thought I'd like it if I did, and never thought I'd have it a second time.
Wrong on all counts.

First time I had sushi I was celebrating a few months of (my friends) sobriety, Rockabilly and his wife had gone to this place tons of times before so I couldn't very well say no. Five godzilla rolls, three oysters on the half shell, and a root beer later I was hooked.

My father and I the other night tried some squid. Stringy, hard to chew, and my wrap fell apart as I was trying to get it in my mouth- so that's not something I'll do again.

Alrighty then, anyone else have some stories?
It is my firm belief that Chance is the fairest thing in the world. She can never be fully swayed in ones favor, else she'll become Certainty, who is another- more vengeful- woman entirely.

"A man of wisdom knows his words will be ignored by most, but he still speaks for those few blessed hearts who will listen."

#2 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm kind of a fan of sushi.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#3 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Me too.
I am the wood nymph.

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

I love sushi!

Stories?

I suppose there was the time when my mom stopped into town and we went to a sushi restaurant for my birthday. When my food arrived she looked at my plate and said, "Ooh, avacado!" Me being the nice son that I am offered it to her knowing full well that it wasn't avacado. My mom ate the whole dollop and then immediately learned how hot wasabi is. I then proceeded to point and laugh until both our eyes were watering.

:pirate:

Edited by Phoenix, 30 January 2011 - 09:50 PM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#5 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

Did the same thing to my dad. A'hehehehe.
Although I did make it up to him- let him have my root beer. :D (I'm a bastard sometimes)
Good to hear there are some fans here. I'm starting to like this place (more)

Edited by Mephistopheles D. Grimm, 30 January 2011 - 10:27 PM.

It is my firm belief that Chance is the fairest thing in the world. She can never be fully swayed in ones favor, else she'll become Certainty, who is another- more vengeful- woman entirely.

"A man of wisdom knows his words will be ignored by most, but he still speaks for those few blessed hearts who will listen."

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

Love sushi, and Japanese food in general.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

Add my name to the list of sushi addicts. Raw squid isn't my thing either but raw oysters make my heart soar.

#8 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:54 AM

Some fine sushi places here in Huntington... I sometimes will make various rolls for my boy with fresh catches off our fishing boat, the few times per year we manage to get out together.

Sadly, much of the salmon and striped bass in sushi places come from farm-raised fish, which are full of bad chemicals and nasty hormones. It's best to stick with ocean caught, if you trust the freshness. There is a growing trend to use frozen tuna as well. It's safer than OLD fresh tuna, but just not as yummy. I remember an overnight trip to the canyons skippering a friend's commercial boat, and coming back to the dock with over 1000 pounds of yellowfin tuna and about 200 pounds of mahi-mahi. The Japanese buyers were right there ready to sample, waving wads of bills in our faces! I miss the old days of working the water
part-time. I smell better now though. :laugh:

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

There is a growing trend to use frozen tuna as well.

I'd say it's actually the norm rather than the exception.

Tsukiji fish market handles Tuna supply for most of Tokyo's sushi restaurants, and it's all frozen.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

I love sushi to eat, and I also love preparing it. Painstaking and precise, the kind of cooking I enjoy.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#11 Derrick

Derrick

Intoxicologist

• 3,029 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

I love the stuff! I used to make a habit of having it once a month as a treat, but times are a bit tough now. I've been sushi clean for about eight months now... :twitchsmile:
"Reality is a crutch for people who can't enjoy absinthe."

#12 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• 2,163 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Count me on the list of sushi lovers. I'll devour pretty much anything fish-related with barely a blink of the eye (except, interestingly enough, their eyes...I haven't worked up that courage yet). If you're brave enough, and can find a place that gets it really fresh, try sea urchin some day. It's like the soft stinky cheese of the fish world...I mean that as a compliment.

Raw squid isn't my thing either but raw oysters make my heart soar.

You know there was a time when oysters were so plentiful in the East River that oyster sellers sold them for $0.25 a bushel and the streets of Manhattan were paved in oyster shells. Example #125 of why NYC is just not as good as it used to be.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#13 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

My girl and I love Bamboo Sushi in Portland, because they use sustainable fish which are responsibly caught. Of course, their noble ethical stance wouldn't be very effective if the food wasn't good, but let me assure you that it's fantastic. The ambience is engaging as well.

Oh, and as far as sushi goes, I love tuna, salmon, and tobiko (the small flying fish eggs). I wonder how that would go with absinthe? You'd probably have to be generous with the wasabi to have the food cut through the absinthe numbing.

#14 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

I have to say I love sushi as well.

One cool thing is that a local restaurateur closed his sushi shop recently and is selling out of one of the major local supermarkets. It is really strange to get decent (not out of this world amazing, mind you) sushi from a grocery store. Definitely no complaints though.

#15 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Love sushi, particularly unagi!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#16 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

we have a member named Gio Verde who might be able to answer your absinthe/sushi questions.

I can't do the uni, it's just too gross. I used to do the squid until I was foolish enough to get some at the Reno Hilton during a convention. Never again. :puke:
Also, back in the really broke-ass days(1997-99) I used to roll up damn near anything in nori rolls and impress the then-GF with presentation. I noticed around this time that Guinness(or any Irish stout) has a tendency to neutralize the hot of wasabi, leaving a weird sweet component to come forward. I didn't really notice this till I noticed I was using Herculean amounts of it to get my hot fix. I can't imagine drinking root beer with the stuff, but then what do I know, I drink tequila with Vietnamese food.

Brian made me spend too much on lunch yesterday.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#17 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

I love sushi, sashimi and any japanese food !

Being born in Săo Paulo, Brazil, I became involved with the japanese culture, since more than 3 million people in Săo Paulo are from japanese descendance, I even married a brazilian-japanese woman for 20+ years..

So, any sushi for me is wonderful !

- Marcelo

#18 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

I can't do the uni, it's just too gross... but then what do I know, I drink tequila with Vietnamese food.

That about sums it up. :tongue:

Uni is a bit quirky, I'll admit, but I think it's delicious.

#19 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

:dribble: Mmmm, sushi, sashemi. Gotta have the ginger + wasabi to go with it. My 15-year-old daughter never liked macaroni & cheese (what kid does not?!) but she has weekly cravings for sushi. Weird, huh?
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#20 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Turns out an old friend that I used to work with is a big fan. We went to a place that my youngest daughter and I had gone a while back. He even brought his own chopsticks. We had a great lunch followed by cigars when we got back to my house. So I was looking at some chopsticks online, just thinking, and was debating on getting some Chinese chopsticks instead of Japanese. Hmm! Decisions, decisions.

#21 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

two words, people--Horse Sashimi.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#22 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,598 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

I ate plenty of (illegal) horse meat on weck at the long defunct (burned to ground) Bailo's in Buffalo, back in the 70s.

It was a bit stringy,and quite tasty, but it was always cooked.

#23 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,847 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

I love sushi!

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#24 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

Gotta admit I love both Topiko and Unagi. :D First time I had a Rainbow Roll the topiko was all I ate- the roll itself was too fishy for my tastes. Gave the rest to my neighbor.

#25 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Do you mean tobiko? If so, yes. I love it too.

While not technically sushi, the next time you're at your favorite sushi place, ask if they have any Sake Kama (roasted salmon jaw). It's the best part of the entire fish, in all of its collageny goodness.

And if you like maguro, or even moreso, Toro, and like reading about food, I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Jeffrey Steingarten's It Must Have Been Something I Ate. Each chapter is a different short story about a certain food fetish he had. The Toro chapter single handedly was responsible for a run on Toro in my local sushi haunts. His writing style is hillarious (droll sarcasm and playful cynicism), and how he writes about food is enthralling.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#26 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

I had Hamachi Kama this weekend. Good stuff.
I am the wood nymph.

#27 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

They spelled it topiko at my local place (Kim Lee's, just remembered the name) but I don't know. Luscious Oily Lesbians! I know it's the same thing though. I'll definitely ask if they have any Sake Kama though, sounds good. :D

(Not going to bother editing it now, since it's been quoted, and is reasonably funny)

Edited by Mephistopheles D. Grimm, 31 January 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#28 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Luscious Oily Lesbians!

Sounds good, is that served as nigiri or maki?

#29 Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Mephistopheles D. Grimm

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Damn it they caught me again. My only shorthand vice! I'll never be able to kick it, but I'm going to have to re-read my posts after I post them.

And it's served with whipped cream, that's about all I know.

#30 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

Luscious Oily Lesbians!

Sounds good, is that served as nigiri or maki?

More importantly, what type of oil?

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association