Sign in to follow this  
Brynjolfr

Akveld's absinthe

According to RueVerte.com it's the successor of the now discontinued Helfrich brand which, according to reviews, seems to have been very good. I haven't had any of Helfrich's absinthes, so I can't tell if Akveld's are equally good. Anyone here who have had Akveld's (especially the verte)?

REVIEW PAGE ADDED

Edited by Brian Robinson
added review page link for organization

I think quite a few people have tried it. I've not yet had the chance, but I'll be doing that soon. Ton not only started with the same recipe, but the same equipment and had the benefit of tutelage from Serge on process and technique. As I understand, the product has some very slight variation now in the herb bill, but if you were a fan of either the Helfrich verte or blanche, then you should be similarly impressed with Akveld verte ou blanche.

not quite as earthy as the Hellbitch, but we will take it and be happy!

Also I have the Akveld blanche but have no memory of trying the Helfrich blanche.

Edited by buddhasynth

I'm glad someone finally started a thread about this absinthe, but I've been too lazy to do it myself. I got to try the verte and a sip of the blanche- however, they had just been opened so it I'll be curious to see how they are when fully developed. The impression I had was that while not exactly the same as Helfrich, they tasted like I would expect a modern Dutchman crafted absinthe to taste like. Which is to say, very nice.

Drinking it now. Seriously tasty stuff. A nice thick louche (almost too thick) but an absolutely amazing aroma, powerful, spicy herbal punch, and a very nice finish. I can see myself getting more of this...too bad the bottle is so small!

I have yet to try it (not for lack of a sample offer), but Scott seems to be a real fan.

I'm surprised he hasn't heckled Brian into adding it to the list of reviewable absinthes. ;)

Great to see you, Wild Bill, it's been too long. :cheers:

Heckled? I thought I was helping when I added new stuff! :laugh:

I have inside info that Akveld's will be at RMGH...in fact, it's already there waiting for us...at least that's what I hear.

Oh you don't want me to post that list yet. It's frickin' amazing!

Been wondering about this absinthe for awhile.
I heard you were dead! Or something like that.

I'm not even sick!

(well, of course I'm sick, but that's never been a problem)

I've just been missing the Helfrich, and I was wondering if the Akveld had recaptured any of the magic...

<spit take> I heard you were dead!

SS.EscapeFromNewYork.jpg

Call him Turkey.

Edited by AiO

I've just been missing the Helfrich, and I was wondering if the Akveld had recaptured any of the magic...

Well, I had another opportunity to taste it after breathing. The verte definitely has the herbaceous pungency of the original, but is just a bit different. I think it's probably worth your while to get a bottle as I think you'll enjoy it; though more or less than Helfrich I don't know.

The blanche has less of a crazy chamomile assault, and is a little more towards the classic la bleue profile- but is definitely more flavorful than most la bleues I've tried.

Edited by Green Baron

I had a chance recently at Alan's house to try the Akveld. Without the benefit of a side-by-side comparison with my Helfrich, I can't speak much on the differences in taste, but what struck me the most was an aroma similar to Vieux Pontarlier, which I rather liked. I don't recall that exact same aroma from the Helfrich. The Akveld verte tasted quite nice.