Brian Robinson

Absinthe 101 flyer

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Why is some absinthe green," and to at least recognise the existence of clear or 'blanche' absinthes within this paragraph?

The White Fairy? How about, "What's with uncolored absinthes?" explaining that some producers, primarily bootleggers, skipped the coloration step.

Given that the first absinthes in the 18th century were probably blanches, it's a shame that some decided to add colour. I blame those first colourers for Le Tourment Vert, The Green Movement etc etc.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Why is some absinthe green," and to at least recognise the existence of clear or 'blanche' absinthes within this paragraph?

Just kidding. I think what you've suggested is perfectly in order.

Does that mean you might change it? As I said earlier, the current statement could be taken to suggest that all absinthe is green which is not accurate. We all know that the Wormwood Society stands for "providing current, historically and scientifically accurate information about absinthe." Changing "Why is it green" to "Why is some absinthe green" on the PDF would not add one extra line.

I'm sure we could do blanche more justice than that. But yeah, a little more from the red-pen group and I don't see why it can't be changed.

Given that the first absinthes in the 18th century were probably blanches

An herbal elixir without an herb infusion at the end? I suppose it's possible.

I'm pretty sure Chartreuse has been green (or yellow) since its inception.

I know I sampled a bit of the green variety that dated from the 1880s, anyway.

I'm pretty sure Chartreuse has been green (or yellow) since its inception.

Yeah, that's the point I was making.

Will this be flyer be posted somewhere on the home page for easy access? It will eventually be buried within all the posts history eventually.

By the way. It looks excellent. Very professional.

Huzzah :arrr:

I'm sure we could do blanche more justice than that. But yeah, a little more from the red-pen group and I don't see why it can't be changed.

And will it be changed?

The copies of the files I have aren't the final copies Gwydion has. I know he's been busy as of late, but I'm betting we can make this happen soon.

Awesome, I've already had a few 'chats' where this would come in handy. And I first tasted absinthe just a few months ago.

Edit for typos.

Edited by Miguel

Brian, I liked the new improved version ! I will make some copies to give to some friends at Alliance Française de Denver in a couple of weeks, we are going to taste some of my absinthes in my French class... (and with the news of legalization of absinthe in France, that will be a timely opportunity there).

Cheers,

- Marcelo

Sorry to be a killjoy, but "artificially" is spelled incorrectly in the "Why is it green?" section. Also, there's still that pesky comma splice in the final paragraph: "Absinthe is flammable, however, the..."

Minor details, but if we expect proper English on the forum, this should extend to the flyer--no?

Otherwise, it is a lovely document.

Gwyd, I suspect you'll be on that. ;) It's my opinion that the word 'however' should be taken out completely so it says: Absinthe is extremely flammable. The Bohemian method etc etc.

Marcelo, glad you like it. :cheers: