Brian Robinson

Absinthe 101 flyer

We've put together an 'Absinthe 101' flyer that people can use to help educate consumers and retailers.

Feel free to email it to whomever you think would benefit from it. Please do not attempt to make any edits.

Regarding printing, please make sure to have it professionally printed on high quality, heavy weight paper so as to maintain quality standards. No double sided printing on copier paper, please.

Enjoy!

WS Absinthe 101 Flyer

Edited by Gwydion Stone
linked to file to save server space

Huge kudos to Ron for his design work and initial copy writing, and to the rest of the Content Team who kicked it around until we got what we have here.

Originally, Ron included a beautiful antiqued background, but in the interest of smaller file size and cheap b/w printing for everyone, I opted for the format here.

Oddly enough, it won't load on Repligo PDF reader on my Blackberry (it actually locks up the phone). I was hoping to have it always on hand in case it was needed, since I'm not generally going to walk around with fliers in my hand.

I've loaded files ten times larger so I don't know what's up with that.

The team did a very good job with this flyer! I'm sure that each of us who reads it have ideas about some edits or tweaks we would have made personally, and I have no interest in disrespecting Brian's request that no edits be made to copies of this which are handed out.

However, in the interest of public safety, I would like to suggest that the last sentence in the final paragraph be amended. At present, it is separated from the first sentence which warns of how flammable absinthe is, and instead follows a sentence about how the burning ritual is not historically accurate and how the burnt sugar can ruin the flavor, so having "the risk of catastrophe is high" following that part makes it sound like the "catastrophe" being talked about is the ruined flavor (which is bad enough), rather than the chance that someone's face and hair might catch on fire (which is obviously worse). Along those lines, I think something along the lines of "the risk of personal injury is high" would be a better substitute as well.

I'm sorry if this sounds nitpicky, and if you want to leave it as is then it's certainly not my place to object, but since it's such a serious issue I felt like I should at least throw the idea out there for you to deal with as you see fit.

Thanks again for all the work on this. I think it will be a useful tool.

I believe that's an auto-filled extra space the program put there to have both the left and the right margins be justified.

Very nice!

Joining the nitpickers, however, I'll point out that the first comma on the bottom of page 2 in the sentence-- "Absinthe is extremely flammable, however, the so-called 'Bohemian fire ritual' is not recommended"--should be a semicolon.

Sixela?

Just kidding.:)

I printed one out for a nice restaurant today. A co-worker's SO is general manager and is intrigued.

Every little bit helps.

Oh, the thing really looks good and I'll be picking up some parchment looking paper tomorrow for the other places I've been. Today's print was sort of rushed. I reckon I was a bit enthusiastic.

Thanks to all involved. :cheers: :cheers: & :cheers:

Very nice.

However I showed it to some of the people who are selling La Clandestine (and other absinthes) in other countries around the world, and they commented on the section "Why is it green." To them, this suggested that all absinthe should be green, which we all know is not the case. So they cannot use this as it is.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Why is some absinthe green," and to at least recognise the existence of clear or 'blanche' absinthes within this paragraph?

Joining the nitpickers, however, I'll point out that the first comma on the bottom of page 2 in the sentence-- "Absinthe is extremely flammable, however, the so-called 'Bohemian fire ritual' is not recommended"--should be a semicolon.

And getting in my two nits worth, I'm not sure the word "however" is correct here. I would change it to "so" or "as such" and loose the second coma.

I love your new flyer. It is concise and informative for someone new to absinthe. And I love the artwork.

I have been posting informational essays on absinthe recently on my blog (http://www.thevictorianwest.com/), one of which was picked up by The Steampunk Tribune. (http://www.steampunktribune.com/2011/01/absinthe-ritual.html) and if you read the Comments there, you will note that a lot of people still think absinthe is illegal.

BTW--I am enjoying my copy of the Absinthe Tasting Journal! Going to blog about that soon too.

--Michelle

thanks for the flyer, I will send it to my French course classmates who are asking me about absinthe all the time !!!!!

- Marcelo

PS: I agree that maybe a next version could also recognize the "blanche absinthe".... Actually, I took La Clandestine to Brazil and the most repeated comment from my colleagues was that "I thought that absinthe was always green"... We should have the White Fairy as well...

So they cannot use this as it is.

Sucks to be them.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Why is some absinthe green," and to at least recognise the existence of clear or 'blanche' absinthes within this paragraph?

The White Fairy? How about, "What's with uncolored absinthes?" explaining that some producers, primarily bootleggers, skipped the coloration step.

Just kidding. I think what you've suggested is perfectly in order. You should have seen the original draft, which filled the entire back page with text. The whittling process involved lots of red pens.

there are rouges as well to consider

And unicorns!

I'm surprised none of you caught the sentence which spills out into the middle dividing space.