Sign in to follow this  
Boggy

La Véritable Fountain

I am sorry, but I think I am going to kill the mood here.

Fontaines were typically bistrot items, I have never heard of a particular having one, except in the recent years. The few times I have heard about fountains being found, they were found in old bistrots, not as part of a family's possession.

Then again, I may be wrong. But well, in the end, I don't think people ever used anise fountains to prepare absinthe, at least in France. Maybe in Spanish or English bistrots, but not in France

Herbsaint never made a fountain?

One pair of fountains was enough for the city.

fountaincopy.jpg

I suspect cracked Ice and a little bit of water like this image shows was the norm back in the 30s:

Herbsaintjingle.jpg

If you were an author like Clisby-Arthur, or an actor like Gary Cooper, you were sent an Herbsaint drip glass and a few bottles of Herbsaint from Marion Legendre.

I am sorry, but I think I am going to kill the mood here.

Fontaines were typically bistrot items, I have never heard of a particular having one, except in the recent years.

No reason that should kill the mood.

I suspect you are quite correct. The vast majority of old absinthe photos have carafes and pitchers, not fountains. That includes photos in bistros, too.

I have been asked (I won't tell names :p ) if, in my opinion, fountains may have been used in spanish cafes after the ban.

There is no definite proof whether or not that might have been the case.

For : the existence of the very elusive "Pernod plastic spoon"

post-41-1155825699.jpg

(part of David Nathan Maister's (aka Oxygénée) collection)

Against :

Still scarce, but not as scarce as the one above, the Pernod Tarragona brouilleur.

See, Pernod absinthe was the main brand still going on strong and having relocated to Spain, after they bought Edouard Pernod.

That's why I am thinking around what specifically Pernod did.

Still, while the fountain + spoon thing has been reported has being performed for many years after the ban with anises (which would explain all the french anise branded fountaines, like Felix Pernod or Berger), it's been found that Pernod actively advertised the use of the brouilleur, as in this rare document owned by a French collector

101028065351913033.jpg

In my humble opinion then, no, fountains may have not been used that much in bistrots in spain. But my proofs are scarce, so it's not a definitive opinion.

And as far as England is involved, no clue.

Agreed. In all of my research about absinthe in Spain, fountains never seemed to be a popular way to prepare absinthe.

I'm thinking I might add a tablespoon full of absinthe to my next ciopino now though. :)