Sign in to follow this  
Harry

AMERICAN ABSINTHE

everything i've read about US absinthe is that it doesn't have any wormwood. so if the 'euphoria' of absinthe is the mixture of wormwood and alcohol, is American absinthe worth drinking? and if it is, which US absinthe is best???

Well you did not read anything about U.S. absinthe not having wormwood here, it may be thujone you are trying to refer to. There are some outstanding domestics to try, so visit the review section and enjoy.

Now back to my glass of Marteau.

Hi, please spend some time reading here about absinthe FAQs. Your post could not be further from the truth, and in fact makes me want to do this! ...oh wait..there is no emoticon for banging one's head against a wall! You've clearly been reading things at a place with questionable facts. Also, while you're reading up on absinthe, please look into the mythology on the "effects". This will answer your questions about euphoria.

Seriously, please read up on things here! There are several world-class American absinthes.

Wow! all those repies are timed at 2:48!

ouch....guys........didn't mean to start a firestorm. you are correct, i meant thujone. so does drinking an american absinthe have same affect as drinking an european absinthe? (leaving out the italian and czech absinthes......yuck). i ask because i don't know. i am currently in naples, italy. so i don't have access to american absinthe...

Hi, please spend some time reading here about absinthe FAQs. Your post could not be further from the truth, and in fact makes me want to do this! ...oh wait..there is no emoticon for banging one's head against a wall! You've clearly been reading things at a place with questionable facts. Also, while you're reading up on absinthe, please look into the mythology on the "effects". This will answer your questions about euphoria.

Seriously, please read up on things here! There are several world-class American absinthes.

thank you, sbmac

you are correct, i meant thujone. so does drinking an american absinthe have same affect as drinking an european absinthe?

the article will answer your questions.

And if you're looking for druglike effects, you'll be sorely disappointed. With ANY absinthe.

you are correct, i meant thujone. so does drinking an american absinthe have same affect as drinking an european absinthe?

the article will answer your questions.

And if you're looking for druglike effects, you'll be sorely disappointed. With ANY absinthe.

brian,

i just read the article. lots of good information.... thanks.... i've only had mari mayans in spain..........appreciate the suggestions from everyone. this is a great site....

Absinthe costs a ton of money, requires fiddly preparation to reach full flavour (and you might as well since you dropped a ton of money on it), and doesn't fork over the expected effects.

And yet we're all huge fans.

Must be some really tasty shit.

everything i've read about US absinthe is that it doesn't have any wormwood.

Whew! I'm glad we have that worked out. Jules would be so disappointed to learn that the 100s of hour we spend cultivating our Grand Wormwood field was actually some other exquisitely aromatic and bitter weed. ;)

The wealth of information you have been advised to read can easily be summed up as:

Thujone does not easily transfer through the distillation process.

Levels of Thujone are almost identical for US, European and pre-ban absinthe.

The trace levels found in US, European and pre-ban absinthe are so insignificant as to be in effect, Thujone free.

Thujone has no significant role in what makes absinthe "special." It is merely the commercial hype of nefarious shysters wanting to sell an image, not a quality, traditional absinthe.

All that said, it's time to relax and have a glass of absinthe*. :cheers:

*Since it's just barely after 6:00am, I may wait a few hours.

Since it's just barely after 6:00am, I may wait a few hours.
Why???

I often have some hot tea with a sploosh of absinthe on weekend mornings. It's easier on me than a Bloody Mary........most days. :arrr:

*Since it's just barely after 6:00am, I may wait a few hours.

Ah, it's always heure verte SOMEWHERE!

End of story™.