Sign in to follow this  
Jack Griffin

Brouilleurs

Nice vids! I have a modern glass brouilleur and until now I thought it might be defective, it poured so fast...

I have put ice into the brouilleur as well, and the ice melts a bit as water is poured on and can sometimes change the drip rate - you might try ice in the two modern brouilleurs

I wonder whether it might be worth a try to put a bit of something, like a toothpick, into your modern brouilleurs, just gently, to block the openings a bit

I've done the cube thing, but I wonder, does it work to have both sugar and a marble? I should think either-or, yes?

**must... have... sugar...**

hell, i've even got to have a little (one cube) in my la Clandestine (don't tell anyone ;-) apparently that's sacrilège) and I usually take two in other brands. although I do at least try the first time with a new brand with no sugar, but every one I've tried I have to have at least a little sweet.

Actually that's why I've not been too crazy about the sit-on-top brouilleur because it's not as facile with the sugar, plus the scent isn't as well distributed. Pour moi, c'est au balancier!

I've done the cube thing, but I wonder, does it work to have both sugar and a marble? I should think either-or, yes?

Use a marble and some simple syrup.

As for sacrilege, sugar is always at the discretion of the consumer. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a bit too tightly wound.

simple syrup, there ya go, of course! Thanks!

edit: wait... how much s.s. equals a cube... I can google that, hang on

edit2: ok, all I can get is that a cube equals a teaspoon, so I guess a bit more than a teaspoon of simple syrup, what do people think?

Edited by tami

Use as much as necessary. This should be more about the experimentation and self-reflection than about a prescribed solution.

Try some, taste, add some more (if necessary), taste, repeat.

I use simple syrup often, for that bit of sweetness to round out the edges.

Step back everybody, because I have THE brouilleur to end all brouilleurs!

Just check out this photo, I'm sure all of you are just green (pun?) with envy:

206109_174200239296944_100001209089063_421601_7531267_n.jpg

This HANDMADE brouilleur was made with the finest (cheapest) aluminum foil money can buy (at your local grocery store).

Well, at least I had some fine absinthe. That carafe is a Frank Lloyd Wright carafe I got in Oak Park, IL. at a sale they were having for $5, its really nice - it has one of his window designs on it.

I'm pleased as punch with my yogurt cup dripper. I made a tiny hole on the bottom edge, and it makes a small but steady stream that comes out 45deg from vertical. I put ice on it, then fill it with water and let it drip on the sugar cube on the spoon. When the sugar is gone, I just set the dripper on the spoon until I get the water level I want. When it's done I place the dripper inside another yogurt cup, and place them in the freezer. The IRS will determine if I can replace it with a see saw dripper.

sugar tends to gum up my 'see-saw' brouilleur. i'm always having to stir about in the bottom of the brouilleur to keep the drip going..........

Jules figured this one out for me.

Just rest the spoon and sugar on the glass rim and then place the 'see-saw' brouilleur over it. It works like a charm.

Thank you for the thank you but truth be told I "borrowed" the solution from someone else here on the forum. There is a picture posted somewhere. Was it Scott M.? My brain is full. May I be excused?

You're likely thinking of the chess game photo. It does work well, particularly with the flat cubes or domino dots. The hole in auto-verseurs is pretty thin, and putting the sugar in the cup will clog it up most of the time. I know a few folks who use the spoon under it in this manner!

My brain is full. May I be excused?

No. Sit back down at the table and stay there until you finish you absinthe. It will help you grow up big and strong. :cheers: