peridot

Music Project 2011

Agreed. But that's a tall order when dealing with a compilation record and all the various artists use varying levels of compression / volume maximization. Godspeed, Andy.

Well, it wasn't an issue of heavy/ mellow. For instance, Delirium would be a bit louder because of the sharp attack of the ukelele and the presence of the vocals, but A Study in Glass would be quieter because it has no sharp attacks. Also I'm dealing with some tracks that have extreme dynamics and are pretty quiet for the first few minutes but then get a lot louder. In those instances I have to match the loudest part to everything else, not the main, quieter sections.

I'll get everything as close to even as I can.

You're right...dynamic range is the issue. It's never easy with such diverse material. You did a great job last year, and I'm sure will do a great job by following your instincts this time around. Thanks BTW. It's no small job.

I'm uploading the CD now. I did some final tweaks. Ultimately I set volume based on trying to reach a good middle ground between headphones and speakers. Since some tracks are closer to mono and some are very widely stereo they have a different perceived volume depending on which you use.

To me this year's comp has a feel more like Volume 1 than 2, except darker. In fact I think Delirium is the only track that doesn't have an either hostile, melancholic, or desolate feel, even though many of them are upbeat.

Shit. I ruined what could have been a meaningful tribute to the dark side with some cutie-ass-Disney-pie uke tune. Feel free to add some moaning, crying and screaming in the background. At least the title suggests something angst-filled.

I didn't realize how dark the overall tone was until doing my final volume checks. Not that everything on it is some sort of morbidly depressing thing. Some of the material is just very contemplative and context paints it. But I think the final three tracks when taken together paint a pretty evil picture.

It actually was hard to find a good spot for Delirium because of this, but I put it between two sort of contemplative sounding tracks as a kind of crescendo before descending into the nightmarish finale. King Leonidus's Tetrimino was also hard to place because it's upbeat and quirky, but not as hard as Delirium's "freaking gigantor WHEEL of cheese."

I also think that people who buy this and who don't normally listen to stuff that's so brooding will relish the two and a half minutes of levity. :)

I certainly like an island of hope amidst the dark, yet glowing embers of burning despair.

Luscious Oily Lesbians!. Almost bought that crap for a second.

I personally favored year 1 over year 2. Interested to hear what year 3 brings.

Now...come on, man. Let's see the artwork! 3 francs, I'm sure. But I'm curious. Lets see it.