peridot

Music Project 2011

There are going to be a few differences this year. First of all, I'm going to assume full responsibility for the CD from the beginning. If anyone else wants to help they're welcome to.

Second, I'm eliminating the 8 minute song length limit. This is a double-edged sword. Yes, I'll accept long submissions and thereby allow a little more artistic freedom. However, as a work gets longer its likelihood of ending up on the final CD decreases. This year I used every work submitted and filled all 80 available minutes. And there was one more person who attempted to submit tracks but had technical issues with Mediafire and then couldn't be reached. So submit your long tracks, but just remember that if there are a lot of different people sending submissions, then longer tracks are going to get the axe first.

Which brings me to the order in which things will be cut. After two years I'm not concerned with how "good" your tracks are. They've been consistently excellent from one person to the next. Instead I'm going to be focused on technical stuff. Using this order will help me fairly and dispassionately cut tracks if I receive more material than can be used.

• Long tracks will be the first to go, based simply on the fact that it's unfair for your single 15 minute-long track to make the cut instead of three five minute tracks by three other forum members.
  • Second, multiple tracks by the same person will be cut, because it's more important for other people to get one work on the CD than for you to get three.
  • If those cuts are made and there is still too much material (highly unlikely), then tracks published elsewhere will be cut in order to focus on original music. Finally, if I have to struggle with you to get you to send me an unmastered 16-bit stereo .wav file at 44100Hz, you're cut. I accepted 24-bit .wav and .aiff files for the 2010 project and it really gummed up the works. This year if your submissions are in the wrong format it will be your responsibility to fix and resend them or they will not be used.

Submissions can be sent beginning immediately to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com and I will try to put them on the MySpace page. You may send as many submissions as you please and I'll listen to every single one of them, but the maximum number of tracks that will end up on the CD per forum member is three.

We're going to go with Kunaki again. Using their compiling and upload tool is becoming second nature.

Here are the guidelines, which are largely the same:

For music:

• The deadline for new submissions is November 15, 2011.
  • There is no maximum song length. Just remember that as the length increases past 8 or so minutes, its chance of making the cut decreases.
  • Only WS members can submit music. One WS member can offer unlimited submissions, but only a maximum of three per forum member will be used.
  • Any style of music or listening material (even artful, ambient noise) may be submitted. Do not be shy and do not assume that your music "won't fit."
  • If you question the quality of your submission, either don't submit it, or submit it with a request for advice on how to make it better. We'll post it on the MySpace and give you feedback.
  • All music must be your own original work, or else you must obtain the permission of the original artist/ publisher to cover or remix their work.
  • Submissions must be in the form of .mp3 for the sake of evaluation. These can be sent as email attachments to wsmusicproject@yahoo.com .
  • If your track is chosen for the CD, it must be sent again in the form of a 16-bit stereo .wav file at 44100Hz. These large files can be sent via Yousendit or Mediafire.
  • Final .wav file submissions should be unmastered with peaks at -6dB or quieter. A little louder is okay but if it is reaching 0dB at any point it is unacceptable.
  • Nobody gets money; merely recognition and their work published. The few cents to a dollar of profit made off of each CD sold after fees goes back to WS. This is a dismal amount of money, not enough to be worth splitting up or setting up contracts for payments, etc.
  • Everyone retains ownership of the compositions and the recordings they submit. You can't change your mind about having your music on the CD after it is published, but you can use your composition and recording for any other purpose you desire.
  • It is preferred that submissions not be previously published elsewhere, but this is not set in stone. It is okay for some material to be pulled from other albums/ compilations but the bulk of it should be composed specifically for this compilation.
  • If we get more submissions than can be put on a CD and your track doesn't make it, don't despair. It doesn't necessarily mean it sucks, but perhaps that it doesn't fit the other material, or conversely sounds too much like another track. Or if you've submitted several items, we may only choose one or two of your tracks in order to put as diverse a range of artists on the CD as possible. If your submission is not used on this volume, offer it again for the next one.

For album art:

• The deadline for volunteering to do the artwork is October 1, 2011. Otherwise I'll do it again.
  • The deadline for a first draft without a track listing is November 1, 2011. This is protection in case someone is not able to fulfill their responsibility so that there is enough time to come up with another solution.
  • The deadline for final artwork is December 1, 2011.
  • Only WS members can submit artwork.
  • If multiple people want to submit artwork, that's great. If this happens then it is possible that only portions of one person's work will be selected, such as just their front cover or CD image.
  • Artwork must fit the Kunaki CD template There is a single panel insert with the front cover and an inside page on it, plus a back panel and CD art. The tray is opaque black so there is no artwork under the CD. Total of 4 pieces of art needed.
  • All artwork must be in .jpeg, .jpg or .bmp format at 300dpi, RGB, 16 bit colour. No bleed areas necessary.
  • Artwork must leave a space at the bottom right-hand corner of the CD's back panel for a UPC code.
  • Artwork must be your own work. If you use somebody else's photography or artwork you must first get their permission.
  • It is preferred that the disc art be a 3 franc absinthe saucer, either photographed or illustrated. This can be stylized.
  • Nobody gets paid for this, either. Sorry.

Have fun, everyone.

Even artful ambient noise!

Cool, I'll have to tone down my "harsh, chaotic, 0db, 40 minute long" noise tracks down to something in this range. You'll see a track or two from me for sure. I'll play nice and go more Ritualz than Masonna worship.

Yep.

The last two comps had green covers. It would be really cool to do red this time, but that's not a requirement by any means.

Dude, I can't imagine it. Your writing style... Slerpis... it could be the most bizarre thing ever. Do it!

Since my modelling amp is dead I won't be able to do something entirely new for this year's comp. I'll have a song or two from something else I'm working on instead, something for which I've already recorded guitars.

Not sure what I'm going to cook up this year. I copped out a bit in 2010 by submitting older, sub-par tracks. Might be time to up my level of play.

I gotta tell ya precenphix, your tracks on both volumes were outstanding- no hyperbole or smoke blowin', they're all legitimately awesome! It's great that you're thinking about the next volume, which I need to start doing as well.

Since my modelling amp is dead I won't be able to do something entirely new for this year's comp.

That sucks. If you have a PC with an ASIO compatible soundcard, you might wanna check out demos pure software amp simulators such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

I believe it's true that there's still no matching a genuine tube amp (especially live performances), but I think you'd be quite surprised how decent they are. Amplitube comes close, but is somewhat noisy, while Guitar Rig has a tiny touch more "digital sheen", but is extremely versatile. I've used Guitar Rig exclusively on both the tracks I've done for the WS music project.

I believe it's true that there's still no matching a genuine tube amp (especially live performances), but I think you'd be quite surprised how decent they are. Amplitube comes close, but is somewhat noisy, while Guitar Rig has a tiny touch more "digital sheen", but is extremely versatile. I've used Guitar Rig exclusively on both the tracks I've done for the WS music project.

I'm not a tube snob. Actually I make fun of metalhead tube snobs all the time because the majority of them can't tell the difference when it comes to metal distortion (this is why I take the logos off of solid state gear I use for gigs; people can admit it sounded good only if they don't know). But I'm also slow to change, which means I want the tone I was using for my home recordings, not something new. Which means replacing or repairing my rig.

If you know amps, pedals, tones and guitar setup in general, Guitar Rig's learning curve is nil. Highly recommended. There's built-in metal presets you might scoff at (including some programmed by Rammstein), but there are so many options to build your own rig from the ground up it's ridiculous. And it's not just great for guitar, either. There's more effects in there to put on just about anything in the mix to liven it up, if you feel like it.

Thanks, Green Baron!

Cool, guidelines seem fair to me. I'm doing a bit of work on others' music right now (and learning a hell of a lot about mixing in the process), but hope to get back to making my own tunes soon.

Need to replace the motherboard. About a hundred bucks.

Which is not unreasonable, except I already spent a hundred bucks to replace the output module and the amp only cost me $135. :) I don't want to put more into fixing it than I did to buy it.

It's a Spider II and pretty outdated so I'm thinking of just getting the newer model in a few months when I get my tax return.

Just a reminder. It's the middle of July. I hope everyone's working on their shit and not planning to procrastinate so as to make my November a living hell again. :)

Just a reminder. It's the middle of July. I hope everyone's working on their shit and not planning to procrastinate so as to make my November a living hell again. :)

Procrastinate? Wouldn't think of it. :paperbag3:

Edited by Green Baron

Gonna have to deal with this later. ;)

I don't think anyone would like to hear any music from me.Let me know when you're ready to start doing an original absinthe art coffee table book and I will submit something.

I've got a few tracks that might be fun for it. They are previously published though, so don't by any means feel obligated if you've got new material. I'll send them over.

Got Le Retour De Mere-Terre. It's fantastic, and I'll finally not be providing the only metal on the compilation! In fact it's sort of making me feel like I have to push myself a bit to keep up.

I got me a song. Now if I can only get to the studio to record it. I shall. Somehow I swear I shall!

You maniacs...you blew it all to Hell! Speaking of Planet of the Apes...how fucked up would it be if everyone dressed up in realistic Ape suits, with normal clothes over their costume when the space shuttle guys came back? Cheryl, this is your fault. I thought of this with several glasses of Walton Waters in my brain.

Nope. I have a pal with a studio who likes absinthe. I tip him $50 and a glass, and he does what I need.

I have another recorded already, on Uke. Dedicated to the woman who was stupid enough to marry me, who hates absinthe, but supports my being broke because of it. She deserved the fucking song.

It's on MP3 24 bit, and 320 kbps...will this do for the final CD?

It's clean, and punchy. For the other tune, I'll give it in whatever format you need. Plz let me know.