newtothegreenhour

Lemercier Absinthe Amer 72

I was about to place an order through The Frenchman and would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this particular brand "Lemercier Absinthe Amer 72". I haven't found a review for it anywhere and was wondering if someone could tell me about it, also i would love thoughts on The Frenchman's shipping speed and all that, thanks much as always

I personally like it alot. I think it's better than the UE's and Guy (way tastier than VdF, IMHO). I will not speak of quality, because I am not sure. It has good flavour with a little bite in the finish. Not as smooth as a La Bleue, but next to the Jade Eddie, it's my favorite verte. Plus, not like it matters, but it's one of the few I drink that gives me a feeling of secondaries(ok, pile on everyone...)

I have a bottle of the Amer 72 and really enjoy it. The alcohol content is a bit strong, but in my opinion it is a decent absinthe.

Phil the Frenchman is great to do business with. You can't beat his prices for single bottle purchases anywhere. His shipping is very fast, but he cannot guarantee that customs won't seize your purchase since he ships via priority instead of courier. I have placed orders with him without incident.

It's been quite awhile since I sampled it, but as I recall it was not bad, for a commercial offering...not complex, but the anise was pleasant, and the finish was mildly bitter, but not obtrusively so.

I agree that it is not as complex as VdF or others; I find it to be more refreshing though. Check out Hartsmar's site for a formal review. There are many reviews there and his opinions are highly regarded by myself (and probably many others here).

At least he didn't favor Peter Kermann's...

I don't agree with everything there, but I enjoyed drinking a brand and reading his take on it. For most I thought he was dead on, but then again I certainly am no expert.

Not all of Hartsmar's reviews are favorable. Consider this most recent entry,

Libertine Amer

...once the bottle is opened and I move it closer to my nose to take a whiff, I'm scared. It smells mainly of alcohol and gives off a bitter, dirty nose. I pour some in a glass hoping that it will not be the same then, but it is.

At this point I haven't added any sugar to it yet and I will pay dearly for that. ... It has this really sticky bitterness that is typical to the adding of essenses. ... To be able to continue drinking the glass, I dissolved a sugar cube in some water and added that. It didn't help. I added another one - it still didn't help. I never finished the glass. This is another one of those bottles that will last forever.

Still, *** is a bit on the inflated side for a product he chose not to finish a single glass of, even if the scale goes to *****...of course, I do realize that takes into account the preponderance of absolute swill out there.

There are at least two reviews at Fee Verte, mine, posted last night, and Hartsmar's, posted about a month ago. Hartsmar knows what he's talking about, which makes me question my own review (I thought it was alright, he didn't). Usually he and I are pretty close on reviews. Anyway, it didn't have the massive bitterness people claim it has, or should have as a result of the way they claim it's made (coloured with Absinthium, wormwood oil added, etc.), that's for damned sure. It makes me wonder if the samples got mixed up and I tasted something else.

One of the locals in my area bought some of the Libertine Amer, I had a very small glass, and thought it was thin tasting and kind of chemical like.

There was something odd tasting I couldn't figure on that one, and I didn't want another glass to try.

I had a sample about a year ago.

The color was weak (like UE)

and the bitter aftertaste was a real problem.

There wasn't anything there that would make me go back and try it again.

As opposed to the regular Libertine, where the sweet aftertaste was a real problem...if they could just find a happy medium, it might almost not be sinkworthy.

I had a sample about a year ago.

The color was weak (like UE)

and the bitter aftertaste was a real problem.

Sounds more like Lemercier Amer than Libertine?

From what I know, the Libertine Amer didn't exist a year ago. It also has a rather intense and quite pretty green colour. Obtained, alas, with the help of A. absinthium.

coloured with A.A.? Sounds like they are taking a lesson from Segarra on their 68. And why is the 68 so expensive when the 45 is reasonably priced( I would say better but I havn't tried the 68)?

When I first heard about it, the story was that they had added extra wormwood oil, just like the Lemercier. Stupid idea (why not do it properly from the beginning?), but the results didn't have to be disastrous.

When I had the chance to sample it, though, I recognized that Segarra 68-like bitterness. Slightly less overpowering, but it's still pretty clear that they took that unfortunate lesson.

There is no Libertine 45, but there is a 55 version (harmless; rather thin) and a 72 non-amer version (not too bad).

Price - well, alcohol taxes probably play a role. So does the hype enabled by adding xtra ballz-trippin' t-jones.

Maybe I'm confused, but the product I reviewed was labeled "Libertine Amer", and that's a Lemercier product, right? What is the OTHER product that's the same, or similar?

There's a Lemercier Amer AND a Libertine Amer?

Yes, that is the case, it appears.

I actually have a bottle of the Lemercier Amer.

Maybe I'm confused, but the product I reviewed was labeled "Libertine Amer", and that's a Lemercier product, right?

No. Libertine is made by Paul Devoille, who also makes Verte & Blanche de Fougerolles.

I gave the Lemercier Amer 3 tries over different periods this year and I sinked the first two. The 3rd I was able to drink but still didn't enjoy it enough to keep drinking the bottle. Now it just sits there in the dark and all I hear is "you should have gone for that other bottle...."

I don't find it very complex, the anise is a bit overwhelming, and even when I add more water to it there still seems to be an alcoholic bite.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. There are mini bottles available, maybe that would be best for a try.

Everything made by Lemercier and Libertine is bad (whether it's amer, 72, 55 or whatever). Lemercier's alcohol base is especially rough, which gave me a hangover after only 1 glass.

I'm assuming they use the semi-fine method where they add grain spirits & water to the distillate post-distillation.

It's strange Devoille makes Libertine, since the VDF and BDF are totally different, and actually have wormwood, whereas the libertine isn't really even absinthe, unless they changed the recipe recently or something.

Yes, that is the case, it appears.

I actually have a bottle of the Lemercier Amer.

The Lemercier Amer is probably better known as Abisinthe 72 Amer. I believe that it's about the same as their Abisinthe 72 but with added wormwood extract. It's on the same quality level as the Un Emiles, maybe a little better, but it is pretty bitter unless you use some sugar.