47 replies to this topic

#31 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Ha!

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#32 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

A diseased gentleman by the name of Aleister Crowley

I take issue with that statement for so many reasons.

I don't.

Look up the word 'charlatan' in the dictionary, and you'll see Crowley's picture. The Kim Kardashian of his day, he was pure style, zero substance.

Sorry to be controversial, but honestly...

I used to think the same thing. Hell I was raised anti-Crowley by a Wiccan (way to hide the historical tracks Mom). When I found my own path, which I will not discuss here, I was surrounded by "Crowley is a bogus hoax" type people.

Then I tried some stuff out of Liber Chanokh which worked to my surprise, and read a bit more on Thelema. I realized that he was just a hippie who was before his time.

Much like absinthe I find that there are a lot of people who talk about Crowley without ever trying/reading him. My past self being one of these people.

I can't believe I just defended him, still kinda awkward about it.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#33 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

I used to think the same thing. Hell I was raised anti-Crowley by a Wiccan

my deepest condolences. :devil:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#34 xxhugexx

xxhugexx

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

Crowley is pretty strange but Wow he sure had a fun life.

http://en.wikipedia....leister_Crowley

Just reading about his life up to his 20's makes me jealous and I need to travel more. Dhyana must be fun also!

#35 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:05 AM

What BS said. :devil: :devil:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#36 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

whilst his biographies are highly entertaining, and he did have an extraordinary understanding of a number of things now deemed common knowledge, the guy had the discipline of a spoiled child with ADD. By opting for style over substance in his public demeanor he pretty well negated any of his legitimate claims, which are far less numerous than he would have you believe.

Just sayin...hey, I love the fat Elvis too, but I aint stupid enough to live like him. (or rich enough, for that matter). As for his latter-day diehard followers, well, there's one born every minute.

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#37 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

Indeed.

Although, I've been many times tempted to whip up one those fried peanut butter and banana sammiches.

With lots of bacon. :dribble:

So far, I've resisted, though.

#38 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

they are pretty good....

#39 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

I shoulda known... :cheers:

#40 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

How the hell does that double post thing just happen out of the blue?

Must really be a flaw in the cyber matrix. :twitchsmile:

#41 Sol2Sol

Sol2Sol

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

To continue with some further Crowley/absinthe connections...Phil Baker, who has written a few books on Absinthe, has a new book forthcoming about Austin Osman Spare. Spare was briefly associated with Crowley and we all know about the Brevans Austin O Spare absinthe. In celebration I ordered not only the book yesterday, but a fresh new bottle of Brevans AOS! :cheers:

#42 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

How the hell does that double post thing just happen out of the blue?

Must really be a flaw in the cyber matrix. :twitchsmile:

Probably by quadruple clicking the "Add reply" button and because you're probably not using a mac. :pirate:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#43 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,587 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Um, no, and you're correct, um, no.

#44 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

More from Crowley?

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#45 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Very interesting find. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

How did I miss this thread for so long?  Here, I'll just re-post what I said in a thread four years ago, discussing the nature of reality and good and evil:

... I can also attest to the gross misuse of the word "magick." I guarantee you that none of us have the same definition. As far as Crowley goes, he did wonders for psychology and never gets much credit for it.

That's because he doesn't deserve the credit for it. Ninety-nine percent of Crowley's "genius" was regurgitated from earlier sources and re-packaged. Just like the rest of the early 20th century occultists, his target audience was the uneducated and gullible masses. Most of these wouldn't bother to read the heavy source material, such as Eliphas Levi, Albert Pike, Blavatsky, Rabelais, the Vedas, the Upanishads, etc.

>Everyone thinks they know who he was and what he stood for. Very few people (excluding Synth) take the time or do the research to realize 90% of it was grandstanding with the media. A big game to him with all the Beast stuff, making up story after story to create this larger than life figure and cement his place in immortality. The media (and most everyone else) bought it, and it worked. But he's remembered for the wrong things.

All his own fault and precisely my point. Hardly the actions of a spiritually advanced person.

I studied Magick for far more years than I've studied absinthe, beginning in the mid-1970s. I am also, fwiw, an OTO Initiate and an ordained deacon in the Gnostic Catholic Church. I left what would have been a clergy vocation ten years ago because of politics in the highest levels of administration of the Order. I still consider myself a Gnostic Thelemite, but not a Crowleyite.

IMHO, Crowley did a great disservice to Thelema, as both a philosophy and as a spiritual discipline, by his ridiculous antics. He had a golden kernel of a Truth and smeared shit all over it, sometimes literally, then pretended that he did so to hide it from the "unworthy".

the concept of Two is necessary to have an Other the way I see it. One alone is truly one and all 'cuz it's so.....inclusive. Once we expand upon that however...

so does that mean you agree that at least in a metaphysical way 0 + 1 = 2, or not? Your answers can be so cryptic sometimes. Or dare I say, so lawyerific.
Actually 0 = 2.

In spite of my current opinion that Crowley himself was no more than a very well-read carny, I think his rituals were beautiful and substantial. I  kind of miss performing the Gnostic Mass and Star Ruby. Sometimes I still do Liber Resh in the morning.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#46 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Oh, and then this:

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#47 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

:devil:

How did I miss this thread for so long?  Here, I'll just re-post what I said in a thread four years ago, discussing the nature of reality and good and evil:

Most of these wouldn't bother to read the heavy source material, such as Eliphas Levi, Albert Pike, Blavatsky, Rabelais, the Vedas, the Upanishads, etc.

In spite of my current opinion that Crowley himself was no more than a very well-read carny,

And those sources had previous sources of their own, even if only an oral tradition. We can't discount the service of updating them or expanding upon them. Also, making a philosophy-religion out of UPG is no small feat to discount either.

Funny how a "well-read carny" can work lesser magic so well. I think there's another magician out there with the same reputation. He was hardly a spiritually advanced one, but at least he was honest about it. ;)

Edited by Evan Camomile, 09 April 2013 - 06:11 PM.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#48 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Sold for £3,750 inc. premium

http://www.bonhams.c.../20922/lot/110/

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association