Sign in to follow this  
odiedog52

bourbon/american whiskey suggestions

hey all!

i have a pretty good idea about american whiskey and bourbon and my friend is looking to get her husband a good bottle for Christmas. I asked her what her budget was and if she'd prefer to do 1 more expensive bottle or a few less expensive bottles to make a cool sampler of sorts. She said she'd go as high as $100 (which is fairly high for bourbon and whiskey) but would prefer to stay around $60ish dollars, and she'd like one good bottle.

I'm still going to put together a cool lot of whiskeys, hoping to get 3 good bourbons around $80 total, but what would you suggest for a $60-80 price range whiskey? I know the Pappy's are all up there and some of the smaller artisanal distillers and things like the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection and Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection are up there too.

What do you guys suggest I look to?

As for me, just got some Dalmore 18 and Macallan 18 in the mail today .. can't complain! :P

Thanks!

Booker's bourbon. I just tried this a few weeks ago at a whisky tasting. The other whisky's we tasted were single malts and every single person there preferred the Bookers'. It's straight out of the barrel and bottled at 64%, you may think that's strong but it was incredibly smooth, much smoother than the single malts which were all less than 50%. Not sure the price, here in Canada its $60 so it must be less than that in the states.

I've tried Booker's, and though it was at the end of a long day in Denver at the Great American Beer Festival and drinking all day, before heading to The Whiskey Bar where we killed their bottle of Pappy 15 and Elijah 18, we moved to Booker's .. and nobody was too big of a fan of it. It wasn't the ABV cause I can handle that, just really cinnamon-ey. Maybe if I tried it by itself, I'd be more into it.

All great suggestions so far, but she's really looking for more of a special bottle, compared to the Basil, Bookers, Knob Creek, Baker's, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, etc., kind of thing. They're all wonderful and he'd love to get them, but we're trying to see if we can really surprise him with something cool and not so run of the mill. She'll spent probably $70-80 and a 750ml bottle would be best .. any suggestions with that criteria?

I certainly appreciate the suggestions so far! My personal favorite listed so far is Bulleit .. can't get enough of it! Bought a 1.75L bottle of it a few days back for $32.99! I was excited and carried it out of the store proudly :pirate:

Im not so sure anything that costs more than those will be any better. Perhaps she might be interested in something rare as a collectible instead? From my experience, spending more than 50 or so bucks on a bottle of bourbon to drink is really just a waist of the extra money spent, but I could be wrong.

Blanton's single barrel if we're talking KY Bourbon.

If you want something that's honestly unique (and actually comes from a company that, you know, has a pot still and fermenters), get Charbay's Double and Twisted, distilled from an IPA. It's delicious, and criminally underrated. K and L wines can deliver it.

There's also a couple brothers out in Colorado, that of all things they used to make beer in Michigan. They distill some stuff too, have a pot still and some fermenters. Thinking they have a Maryland style Rye whiskey just out and soon to be available. The aforementioned K&L has their American whiskey. They have lots of other goodies too.

Oh, forgot to mention Wathen's.

Edited by dakini_painter

I'd second the recommendation for Blanton's and Booker's. I'm also a fan of Bulleit and Woodford Reserve.

To throw another suggestion out there, I recently discovered Old Weller 107 and have been enjoying it very much.

I used to always have a bottle of Old Weller 107 in the house, haven't had it for years but I have very fond memories. Is it still aged 7 years? It used to say "aged 7 summers" on the label. At the time I was pretty exclusively a single malt drinker, and was surprised when I saw a 107 pf., 7 year old whiskey at the store for such a reasonable price. That's when I first started getting interested in bourbon.

And I second DP's suggestion for Leopold Bros. American Small Batch Whiskey!

Im not so sure anything that costs more than those will be any better. Perhaps she might be interested in something rare as a collectible instead? From my experience, spending more than 50 or so bucks on a bottle of bourbon to drink is really just a waist of the extra money spent, but I could be wrong.

I know more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, but it's exciting to spend a bit more than normal to try new things and things you'll save for good friends and for special occasions. Like Pappy is quite a bit more expensive than Buffalo Trace, but I love the Pappys.

Blanton's single barrel if we're talking KY Bourbon.

If you want something that's honestly unique (and actually comes from a company that, you know, has a pot still and fermenters), get Charbay's Double and Twisted, distilled from an IPA. It's delicious, and criminally underrated. K and L wines can deliver it.

I'll look into the Blanton's.

Good call on the Charbay. I overlooked them because a lot of their bottle are so expensive like their Whiskey-II. I'll look into it and it works out well cause they're in the area and she can pick it up. Good call on the Blantons too!

Everyone else, thanks for the ideas as well! I'll keep prowling around!

I'd be happy with most of what has already been mentioned. I'd also throw in there Four Roses Small Batch, Parker's Heritage Collection (pre-2010s are in the $80 range), Jefferson's Presidential Select, and an outlier that many have never even heard of, and which is quite a bit cheaper, Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Whiskey.

Very good suggestions. I would say that the longer the burbon is aged, the smoother it will be. Kentucky burbon is superior in my opinion. They really work some magic with that molassus. Pappy Van Winkle family reserve is a 15 year old sipping burbon that sits around 107 proof, and will run you around $80.

I would say that the longer the burbon is aged, the smoother it will be.

True, but just as with scotch, rye, or any other barrel aged product, the wood can overwhelm the whickey at some point. Age is not always an indicator of being 'better'.

That is true, especially with burbons because the barrels are so new. I always liked the woody characteristice of burbon whiskey and scotch, but I know that some may not like that so much. I havent had anything over 15 years with burbon, but I have also found some 8 year fairly nice as well.

I would say that the longer the burbon is aged, the smoother it will be.

True, but just as with scotch, rye, or any other barrel aged product, the wood can overwhelm the whickey at some point. Age is not always an indicator of being 'better'.

I believe you are correct, Although the oldest Spirit I have had so far is 17 yrs, I imagine that eventually it would be a waste of time, although imagine the novelty of tasting a vintage bottle of whiskey that has been aging for over 100 years under ice! Like here.

I "wood" assume that like scotch, most bourbons mature between 10 and 18years and anything past that is mostly a waste of time in the barrel. Correct me if i am wrong.

I "wood" assume that like scotch, most bourbons mature between 10 and 18years and anything past that is mostly a waste of time in the barrel. Correct me if i am wrong.

It depends a lot on the barrel, the environment, and the whisky. Macallans that are ver 25 years have been nothing but disappointments for me. But the there are several amazing whiskies I've bought recently that range from 25-45 years old, that have been gamebreakers.