Gwydion Stone

Absinthe Marteau and Gnostalgic Distillery

Wow. That's not good! But this is:

SS-wp-header-02-01.png

For those who may not have seen it on Facebook, Gnostalgic Spirits—as a company—is no more. I have partnered up with my dear friend and fellow WS member, Bluewolf Pete to form a new company, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co., and we're now leasing space at 3 Howls Distillery in Seattle. Having a lease and a dedicated space to set up the still and our own equipment is a big move forward, and will allow me to finally produce the formulas I've been working on for the last seven years.

szilard&stone.jpg

Stone & Szilard, not in that order.

S&S will continue making the Marteau absinthe and other historic, super-premium spirits such as gin, aquavit, falernum, bitters, etc., with a subsidiary label, Atlas Liquor Co. (an historic Seattle liquor company from the early 1900s) to handle contract distilling and bottling of blended and imported spirits, such as vodka, rum and whisky.

AJV111.jpg

First up, Pete had a great recipe idea for a classic gin, so after a over year in the planning we've distilled the pilot batch of FOXTROT London Dry Gin, and as soon as we have the bottles and labels, that'll go out to Washington retailers and hopefully DrinkUpNY won't be far behind. Stay tuned for more great news soon!

10678653_815047188515381_192226723849380

are either the standard Marteau or the Master's Reserve available anywhere online where i can get them shipped to me? are they still being made? website seems to indicate that they're temporarily out of production. any word on when they might be produced again?

I'm afraid Marteau is (once again) unavailable for the foreseeable future. The Stone & Szilard project lasted a little over a year, when Pete found that the demands of a day job on top of distilling activities were more than he'd anticipated. Unfortunately I was unable to continue alone, and things came to a halt.

If and when I find a suitable location and funding, and Marteau, Foxtrot, and the dozen other products I was working on become available, I'll post about it here. Thanks for your interest.

Wow really sorry to hear that! Good luck getting everything to fall into place so you can get up and running again. I did manage to score a bottle of Marteau (at Astor) so at least I'll get to taste it! Would've loved to try the premium Master's Reserve version, but I guess I missed my shot. Here's hoping it makes a return one day!

So I really hate to say it, but I think I got a bad bottle of Marteau. I've been kind of fighting with it, trying to figure out if it's just me (my tastes) or maybe I prepared it wrong (too fast water pour or bad ratio), but after maybe 4 drinks I'm pretty sure this just can't be intended. It's skewered away from anything like the typical absinthe profile, a good bit. There's a trace of that in there but it's hard to detect. There's something that's fairly unpleasant and pretty up-front, that kind of masks the typical flavors that I do think are in there somewhere.. For example, I can't really detect anise very well. In either the flavor or scent. The scent is really weird, almost like a generic floral scented candle or... something. I really can't describe the unpleasant flavor too well in any way that I think would do it justice, but it's almost like a bad shoe leathery or harsh spicey kind of thing and it kind of fades into the burn during the finish. But it's pretty strong. There just isn't that typical fresh anise/wormwood/herbal profile that probably every absinthe I've had has, in some form.

I tried with lots of sugar this time and I pretty much never do sugar, and it almost makes it kind of drinkable (well, it's drinkable but just not really enjoyable). I don't really feel too burned about it or anything but probably more disappointed I didn't get to experience Marteau as it's meant to be (partly my fault for waiting so long to buy some).

Edited by MisterX

Funny. With little "street cred" you basically slam the founder of the site. Interesting. You phrase it carefully to make sure that you convey the proper message and yet your "attack" falls a bit short.

Sugar doesn't make a good absinthe so you try to make it seem like you tried to like it. Either you have no idea what you're doing or you have an agenda - which is it?

Maybe it is just a "bad bottle". It does happen. I considered that when I read this post for the first time last night. My original thought was that perhaps it is corked (TCA contaminated). The description, however, for what it's worth, doesn't square with the typical paradigm of "smells like a basement, tastes like cardboard". That, however, may only be the result of Mr. X's descriptive abilities.

So I just took a look at the only unopened bottle of Marteau "Blue Label" I have laying around here and it does appear to be finished with natural cork. It's the only bottle of it I've ever had and I've never opened it only because I have so damn much open absinthe. Prolly going to have to take a look now. Interesting that nobody has ever reviewed this version over on the main site, although the last review of MAdlBE might just be this version. Maybe I'll have to do that.

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to taste the Master's Reserve, but based on my experience with the Classique and MAdlBE, I can say that the absence of a Marteau in the market is a sad state of affairs.

Funny. With little "street cred" you basically slam the founder of the site. Interesting. You phrase it carefully to make sure that you convey the proper message and yet your "attack" falls a bit short.

Sugar doesn't make a good absinthe so you try to make it seem like you tried to like it. Either you have no idea what you're doing or you have an agenda - which is it?

i don't even know how to respond to this post, as it's just terrible imo. you assume i'm being dishonest *first*, then you operate from that assumption to paint everything i said as some kind of deception. 'sugar doesn't make absinthe good so you try to make it seem like you tried to like it.'?

well how about you give me the tiniest benefit of the doubt or even just do a hypothetical in that brilliant mind of yours, and consider what someone would actually do if they had a $50+ bottle of something that seemed funky? i realize i haven't posted here very long (i have racked up a few reviews already, not that it matters), but it is what it is. and i was aware of that while posting, and of the nature of my post, and of the fact of who runs this forum (which in the name of neutrality should be totally irrelevant, shouldn't it? or do you also think it's smart for him to get an unfair edge due to running the site? i'm not here to asskiss. i respect what the dude has done, however), and did my best to make it clear that it's NOT an attack (which you also hilariously perceive as part of my grand deception), and that i assume this is a rare thing with this label. i have no motive for attacking anyone, and can't really even conceive of what there would be for anyone to gain from doing that ultimately (especially when the person i'm 'attacking' isn't even producing the stuff anymore).

Maybe it is just a "bad bottle". It does happen. I considered that when I read this post for the first time last night. My original thought was that perhaps it is corked (TCA contaminated). The description, however, for what it's worth, doesn't square with the typical paradigm of "smells like a basement, tastes like cardboard". That, however, may only be the result of Mr. X's descriptive abilities.

So I just took a look at the only unopened bottle of Marteau "Blue Label" I have laying around here and it does appear to be finished with natural cork. It's the only bottle of it I've ever had and I've never opened it only because I have so damn much open absinthe. Prolly going to have to take a look now. Interesting that nobody has ever reviewed this version over on the main site, although the last review of MAdlBE might just be this version. Maybe I'll have to do that.

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to taste the Master's Reserve, but based on my experience with the Classique and MAdlBE, I can say that the absence of a Marteau in the market is a sad state of affairs.

i've lurked here for probably 10+yrs, checking in on occasion to see if there's any news of new interesting absinthes, and i did faintly remember the thing about cork contamination and wondered about that. but i didn't remember anything about the description. when i described the taste and smell i was really stretching for any words to try to. i'm NOT very good with descriptions. a glance at the few reviews i've done would show that i use pretty general terms like 'fruity' or 'spicey' a lot, instead of getting specific. i don't think on my own in a million years i would i have arrived *specifically* at basement and cardboard but it almost seems like it could fit. also based on the fact that i'm apparently the only person with a funky bottle, it seems to make the most sense to me, even if i can't really imagine how contact with a cork could do something like this.

i also noticed that the review section of the site doesn't have a spot for reviewing the new marteau with the grain base and wondered if any of the reviews for marteau are actually of the newer version. which in my opinion, that should totally be fixed because they're two different things and it could be a bit misleading. however, for the record, i want everyone to notice that i did not post a review there and instead mentioned the bad bottle here. still not sure how claiming i got a bad bottle is slamming anyone.

Edited by MisterX

even if i can't really imagine how contact with a cork could do something like this.

for the record, i want everyone to notice that i did not post a review there and instead mentioned the bad bottle here.

Read the article on Wikipedia about "Cork Taint". You'd think that after 4 years of piloting this tablet I'd know how to insert a link for you but I don't.

And good move not to post a review based on that bottle. Sometimes certain contaminations are outside the control of the producer, and it would be unfair to review a flawed bottle as if it is their usual work.

Just curious... what absinthes have you reviewed? I'd like to take a look at a couple.

Read the article on Wikipedia about "Cork Taint". You'd think that after 4 years of piloting this tablet I'd know how to insert a link for you but I don't.

And good move not to post a review based on that bottle. Sometimes certain contaminations are outside the control of the producer, and it would be unfair to review a flawed bottle as if it is their usual work.

Just curious... what absinthes have you reviewed? I'd like to take a look at a couple.

ah wow, pretty interesting. i've never really got into wine so i had no idea about this stuff. i'm wondering if i should try this (already looking for the plastic wrap tbh):

"This can be done at home, as advocated by Andrew Waterhouse, professor of wine chemistry at University of California, Davis, by pouring the wine into a bowl with a sheet of polyethylene plastic wrap. For ease of pouring, a pitcher, measuring cup, or decanter can be used instead. The 2,4,6-trichloroanisole will stick to the plastic. The process is effective within a few minutes.[6]"

I just did a review for Soixante Cinq and did one for Kübler too, as MisterX. From there you should be able to see the others (6 altogether).

Apologies, MisterX. I shouldn't post when I've been drinking.

Eh, it's ok. I was probably a bit too combative/defensive in my reply.

ok so, i know this seems unbelievable...

but i poured the bottle into a mixing bowl with some ceran wrap, and a couple strips of a zip-lock bag that i cut up, and kind of stirred it around in there for a bit, until i realized that absinthe has a way higher alcohol content than wine and got worried about the ceran wrap dissolving or something. was probably in there about 5 minutes. then i wrung out the ceran wrap and got it all out of there and funneled the juice back in the bottle. pretty much had to immediately test it.

and it tasted just fine.

maybe i just need to be committed and imagined all of this, but i definitely remember the first 4 or so drinks i had from the bottle were barely tolerable. i don't really know what to think of this, but the drink i poured earlier tasted just fine. i may or may not report back in, in about a week or two when i try another drink.

I have a bottle of Eichelberger 68 Limitee that tasted like burnt plastic for the first several pours. After a couple of months it smoothed out and is actually quite nice now. Perhaps your Ceran wrap treatment plus introducing oxygen had some effect?